1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Native American beliefs regarding homosexuality

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by twin soul, Feb 2, 2013.

1. twin soul

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    After coming out I started to draw encouragement from different sources. Most of my encouragement has come from myself and the way I see the world. However some of the traditions in the world are helpful in trying to understand and be OK with ourselves and what's around us. For some there is no struggle at all in accepting ourselves. However for others it's a long difficult journey, but in the end is beneficial. One source of great encouragement has been the Native Americans. They believed that someone who is a homosexual is actually a beautiful thing. They saw the world as being divided between masculine and feminine, but in someone who is a homosexual, masculine and feminine are somewhat combined. I think this is true. If you are gay, consider yourself a beautiful creature. I can guarantee that you probably see the world differently than any heterosexual does. I know that, personally, I am more sensitive to suffering than most people. Since I was a boy I have always noticed beauty in things that others couldn't see. People thought I was strange, sometimes. But alot of people find encouragement from the way I see the world if I'll share it with them. So, as your coming out, try not to look at it as if you are shameful for what you are. You are a unique individual, and the world needs you to be genuine and share with it the truths that you have.

---------- Post added 2nd Feb 2013 at 06:01 PM ----------

I'm not trying to say that you are better than anyone else, by the way, but just that what you have to share is just as valid as anyone else.

2. June Cleaver

It is too bad our culture does not see it that way. I have never had any real problem with any of the people I am out to as of yet. In fact the guys who know are very protective of me. It is kind of nice to be treated so well. I also see the world as a bright place and have always been a positive role in lives of the people around me too. June

3. photoguy93

This is very well put together. I know I've heard of this before, but I didn't really put it together.

I do try and look at ways that we are important and find places where we matter.

Because we are all unique and need the world to see who we are!

You are always so positive. It's a breath of fresh air!

4. Thieves

Thieves Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
    I've actually heard of this before, since I've always been very interested in Native American culture. I think it's a beautiful way of seeing people, and brings about positivity rather than making others feel badly for how they naturally are.

I wish this type of view towards homosexuality was more well-known and dominant in the world, for sure.

5. nickih

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I really like this. I'm sure of my sexuality yet, but i find this comforting

6. remainnameless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I find that comforting too. That is super neat, and it raised my respect for Native American Culture (which I already loved) Thanks for sharing!

7. Caleb93

I haven't really looked into Native American beliefs before, but this has piqued my curiosity. Your post was really encouraging and insightful. Thanks for sharing.

8. DeanIsHome

I noticed a lot of the indigenous peoples (I have studied about) have had a somewhat positive idea on homosexuality, my Dad's tribe the Dayak's in Sabah who are a former headhunting tribe long ago believed that humans were both man and women and when they grow up they had the choice to love a man or a women and the parents would ask their children whom they loved more and they could choose and their parents would raise them according to that role so if I said I was homosexual they would teach me weaving etc. but also there was a choice for bisexuality where a child would be brought up in both genders and would become a shaman and was believed to be the most powerful type of shaman and well respected.
    Sadly due to the influence of other religions like Christianity and Islam this practice is nothing but stories of the past and is no longer done.