1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Had a date, I like him as a friend - he might like me as more

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by IanGallagher, Feb 2, 2013.

1. IanGallagher

What do I do?

I've met this guy online. We've been texting each other non-stop for about a week now. But, the chemistry we have online isn't the same as we have offline. While he's cute and definitely a great guy. I just see him as a friend, rather than as a boyfriend.

We had dinner then walked around the mall. We were gone for about three hours. But, even then the chemistry still wasn't there. He impressed me by picking up the tab at dinner and said he'd like to do this again some time. Which leads me to think that he probably sees me as a maybe boyfriend.

But, as said - the problem is, I don't see him that way. He would be a cool friend though. So, how do I tell him that without breaking his feelings over it? What is the best way to tell someone after a first date that you'd like to "just be friends" in as simple and easy a manner as one can?

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, it depends on the person. From the sound of it, he hasn't actually asked you to be his boyfriend yet, so this is still kind of a hypothetical issue. Maybe wanting to see you again means that he wants to get to know you better, and maybe it means he wants to date you. Who knows?

That said - trust your gut. If you're not sure what he wants yet, then when you talk about things to do, suggest "friend-ish" things until more information is forthcoming - more "hanging out" than "dating" (but don't invite him to your place!). If you get "I wanna be your bf" vibes from him, then mention that you're interested in spending time with him as friends. Some people take the news just fine, some people don't want to make the transition, but being kind and honest is the best thing in general.

3. Zaio

Zaio Guest

That connection you appear to have online and not offline is probably caused by nerves. As you become more comfortable with each other those nerves will fade and he'll become the same as he is online.

You like him as a friend right now, but it's only been one date, and you don't hate him right? Why not give him another chance? You might start seeing him as more than a friend :slight_smile:

I don't want to give advice on ending it because I think there's still potential here, and I wouldn't want to see it wasted. But... You could tell him that you appreciate the good nights, but you don't think there's much of a connection there, and that you wanted to call it off earlier before he develops further feeling for you. That way it lets him down easily by showing that you were thinking of how he would feel. I still don't think you should end it just yet though.

All the best.

4. IanGallagher

Thanks, took the "just friends" approach and it worked. I usually wait for hours to hear back from the person to know where they wanted to go with it, so since I knew where this was going - didn't really want him to think more on it than need be. However, with that said - I would be open to the "friends who become more" thing in time if that happens for us. But, right now the physical part just isn't there. Usually on first dates, I feel like kissing the person or making some physical contact. Out of a handful of dates, it's rare that that urge for intimacy is not present - it's happened a couple of times with girls, but this was the first time it happened with a guy (only started dating guys, and I'm bi). So, I'm figuring lack of physical urge during and a complete lack of "a long good bye" tells me that it's most likely platonic since that's usually always there.

5. Brent2013

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think i feel the same to your friend. Haha! How will I know if you really want just a friend or get into next level so that no more expectation while budding?

6. WhatLiesAhead

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Had this happen before - sometimes its nerves as someone else suggested but I think more often than not, it's a personality thing. It could be a great match on paper but there's really only so much you can tell about a person's personality from talking online/texting; really need to actually meet in person. This is why I try to keep the online portion of a relationship down to a week or two tops before meeting. Physical attraction is important too but I can usually nail that down from photos... for me, it's their personality that sometimes just turns out to be one that I'm not compatible with or attracted to. Better to find out sooner than later.

Follow up question though... if you're in the same situation as the OP (chatting for a week or so, then go out once and realize you aren't interested in pursuing a relationship with them but you get the vibe that they are), what's the best way to let the other person know? Would it be considered rude to do it over email/text? Not as if you're dating this person or have known them for very long. Or would you still suggest letting them know in person? Or just flat out ignore and hope they get the point? I've had the last thing happen twice which honestly I was fine with though I don't really feel comfortable doing that to someone else.

7. IanGallagher

I would say text. It's easy on you, they have time to digest it. And I'd say don't do the ignore thing - I've never gotten that from guys, but I've gotten that a lot from girls and that's the worst.