1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forearm vein phobia

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Zaio, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Hey EC,

So I have a bit of an unusual phobia here. I would like some tips on how to get over it if possible.

I am absolutely terrified of the thought of a needle being in my forearm veins. Now, this is weird because I am not scared of needles or blood, I can quite happily get injected in muscle fiber or fat. To make it even stranger, the thought of a needle being in a vein on my upper arm doesn't scare me either, it's just the veins on my wrists, which is where injections are quite often administered.

Can you get blood taken from the veins on your hand, or on the upper side of your arm?

I'd like to give blood in the future and maybe take part in some clinical trials, but I'm not sure if I can if I can't get over the phobia. Unless you can actually get vein injections on your upper arm/hand.

All the best.

DJ Barclay likes this.
  2. photoguy93

I don't think you can from your hands. They can do IV's there. I just don't know about blood because its a bigger needle.

I mean, I have my own fears. I'm not going to judge. But why do you have this? I mean, I'm even really perplexed.

3. Zaio

Zaio Guest

I have no idea at all. This is also a really big issue for me because high cholesterol runs in my family, I think I take after my father like my sister who doesn't have it, so I don't think I have it. I've wanted to get tested for a long time though to make sure, but this stupid phobia has prevented it.

I get nauseous every time I even touch my forearm veins. I just can't stand it.

4. photoguy93

You can get blood from you hand. It's just painful and a bit more of a hassle.

It's ironic because you're actually putting yourself through a much worse predicament. Because just take my advice - you'll want your forearm poked instead of your hand. But your health is most important, so you need to get it checked!

5. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    From the hand yes, l think. Both areas make me want to kill myself lol.

6. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Oh that's great news then.

I don't care about the pain as long as it's on the hand. Forearm veins are a complete no-no for me.

Thanks for the clarification guys :slight_smile:

If anyone has any tips to get over the phobia though then I'd appreciate it. While I can deal with getting it done by hand, it would be easier if I could just get it done by forearm vein.

All the best.

7. IanGallagher

Get or find a cute guy to do it. I'm needle-phobic. I've never had a needle administered by someone I was attracted to until recently when I had to get my blood drawn. He kind of resembled Lucas Till.

I felt the shot, but not completely because I was too busy looking at him giving me the shot. If you come off as flamboyant, it might not work as much (no offense). But if you're the kind of guy who comes off as straight without telling people - chances are the guy will just think you're trying to divert your attention by making it more casual than medical. The guy was straight, he had no idea I was gazing into his baby blues and at the end he smiled at me and said to have a good ride home. I'm also pretty sure he was straight - or I just threw that opportunity out the window. But, yeah, getting a shot done by someone you're attracted to rather than an older dude or woman makes it a lot easier.

When I'm in a place where I need a regular person to give me a shot, I'm kinda moving all over the place now, I'd be sure to find either a girl or a guy who's physically alluring because then it makes it more intimate than scary for some reason.

#7 IanGallagher, Feb 2, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  8. Deaf Not Blind

i received my IV blood in my inner elbow as the top of hand and wrist not work.

9. Caleb93

Are you talking about having blood taken or getting an injection or IV? Every time I've given blood or had a blood test it's been the inner elbow. The only time I've had a needle in my wrist was for an IV.

10. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Just an injection. It's just that I think they prefer to take it from your wrist because it's easier to get larger amounts of blood and identify a vein. I've never really done it before though so I didn't know I can request another area for it to be done in.

Thanks for the reassurance :slight_smile: I'll just request it be taken from my inner elbow.

All the best.

11. itsme98

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    i have the EXACT same phobia! i literally can’t even touch that area..

12. DJ Barclay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also have this fear, i actually found this while looking for a name. I dont know how common it is but it is not a fun phobia since its with you 24/7 unlike ones like clowns because you are not always with clowns. I cannot touch that area or look at someone touching that area. I also cannot rest my head in my hands without images not being able to leave my head. I am only 13 so quite a couple of people do not take me seriously and try to 'see if im telling the truth' by doing it and if i cover my eyes they just keep going for the whole class which i think might make it worse because they are doing it so much.