1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to Friends

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by DeanIsHome, Feb 2, 2013.

1. DeanIsHome

So I'm starting to consider the possibility of coming out to 2 of my friends (!) whom I consider pretty close and trustworthy, but I'm not exactly sure how.
    So one of my friends I want to come out to is a girl, and well when were together she tells me a lot about her and her boyfriend who are dating in "secret" and she asks me a lot about a guys perspective and how they think so we get along fairly well and we joke a lot, the only reason I'm hesitating about telling her is that she is pretty religious, she helps teach her churches choir and participates with them and also is really into serving her church so I'm scared to tell her.
    My other friend I want to tell is a guy and we pretty much hang out every school day during lunch and whenever we share a class, we often joke around about a junior he likes and we spend a lot of time talking about random topics and he's not even religious so that's not a problem, and the only reason I'm hesitating to tell him is because he's a guy and most guys at my school think that if you're gay, you're automatically in love with all the guys and you want to butt rape any guy you see (which is BS).
    So how should I come out to my two friends? and which one should I come out to first?
    Sorry this is so long.

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am out to a girl who's so hardcore religious, she's married to a pastor. She doesn't hate me for being bi. While she believes homosexuality is sinful (what can I say, she's not perfect) she doesn't see it as worse than any other sin and is no less friendly for knowing about me. Some Christians believe that God is love, and don't make exceptions. :slight_smile:

I've also had very good luck in coming out to girls. IDK what it is about girls in particular, but they are more tolerant of guy-on-guy romance lol. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Maybe it's why stereotypical guys like watching lesbians? At any rate, I think you'll be okay with her. With the guy, it would be prudent to test the waters by finding out his opinion of gays in general before letting the rainbow cat out of the bag.

3. DeanIsHome

Lol love that term "letting the rainbow cat out of the bag"
    Anyways, Yeah I think i'll try talking to my girl-friend first since that seems like a better idea, but if it helps my guy friend was asked out by another gay guy during homecoming and his reply was "I don't swing that way at the moment" and that was a pretty nice answer since most of the guys started freaking out when they got asked.

4. jt1665

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, obviously it's different for everyone, based on the friends you have & your relationship with them. But if my experiences are any kind of example, they either already know, or are at least suspicious. I am in no way "gay acting"... former Marine, hunter, fisherman, general outdoorsman & somebody that everybody likes, but nobody messes with (and you don't mess with any of my friends if I'm there either.). But "you're gay" (not as politely stated) was the first guess when I told my 2 closest friends that I needed to talk to them. The 3rd one was my real worry though, 6'5" 300 lbs of Georgia racist redneck (I love GA and the people, but this is exactly what he was.). To my surprise he took it as well as the other 2 but did tell a lot of people ( that were all really cool as well). He even took his pecker out on my birthday & said "go ahead and grab I if you want...". Now these were all guys, I wouldn't even worry about the girl, they love gay guys!! So there you have it.

It'll be fine! Good luck!

5. jp16

Well before coming out, think about if your friend is accepting of other LGBT people. If you’re not sure, you could bring up the subject through a news story or a celebrity. It would be easier then i think:slight_smile:

6. RainbowMan

Think about it this way. If he's straight, does he want to bang every girl in sight? I don't think so. Therefore, you can use the opportunity to educate him that gay relationships are completely like straight ones in that regard. It's an unfortunate misperception of gay people in general.