1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling stresse anyone relate to this?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Alexander69, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Alexander69

Ok so my mother came home today and confronted me and said "when are you having children? When are you going to find a suitable girlfriend then wife?" I said why does it matter I'm 18 my mother says "your father and I were married when I was 19 I had your brother at 20 and you at 23." I said I don't want children I told you this before " You need to have children to continue our family and you need to have at least 1 boy to carry the family name" Sean can have kids he and his girlfriend want kids I DON'T just back off of me "why don't you want children?" I hate kids they are a waste of time I'm selfish I guess I got that from you and if I did hav kids you wouldn't see them I don't want your bitchy attitude rubbing off on my kids like you did to me I'm so sick of living here you're not here for days and even weeks and you come back and bitch at me for everything I won't or haven't done yet just leave me alone..... I feel terrible but I cracked and I walked up to her room and I heard her crying I feel so bad like I feel like an asshole a terrible person but I cracked I couldn't take her pretty much forcing me to do things with my life. But I don't EVER want to see my mother cry or be Hurt and especially not from my doing. I cried after too because I felt like shit I couldn't believe I said that to my mother I love her more then life and I never want to see her hurting or crying I can't stand when she cries I start to cry :frowning2: what do I do? I mean this was going to happen at some point but I want to apologies but I feel like I can't face her after that right now like I don't know I'm confused as to what to do :frowning2:

---------- Post added 3rd Feb 2013 at 04:55 AM ----------

Not to mention my father will be home at 9am today he's flying Back for the Super Bowl today and is throwing a party and a lot of his business and non business friends are coming over and my mothers friends are coming over just for the party not the game and my brother and his girlfriend flew in for this to so now it's just like ugh ill just stay away Ill just stay in the theater and watch movies all day I guess idk :/ I feel like shit

2. Gleeko0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes. I had a fight with my parents these days about them telling me what to do with my life, and I'm almost 18. Its awful :/. I don't have any good advices, I'm sorry. But you are not alone.

3. Flugelhorn38

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My boyfriend and I are in college and while we both eventually want kids, we both know that now is so not the time. His mother however, who did not graduate from college and already had two kids by the time she was our age, keeps asking me when he and I will get married and have kids, because as far as she is concerned, that's the only important thing in life. Also, I think it's funny that she only bothers me about this, because babies are the woman's responsibility.

Mothers :/

4. Ditz

Parents have dreams for their kids and most of the time it includes the white picket fence and grandchildren. They cling to that and it's extremely hard for them to let go of that fantasy which they've concurred up for you from the day you where born.

Your sexuality is a direct threat to that dream, it goes against the picture they have created for you in their minds. It is going to take time for them to realise that there could be other happy versions of that picture out there... Maybe not quite how they envisioned, but happy none the less.

I've just turned 37 and my parents still try to hook me up with the perfect girl so that I can have the perfect family and produce perfect grandchildren that can take forth the family name, just like in the pretty picture they dreamed up for me the day was born.

Of course it causes stress, but realise that it comes from a good place, a place where they only want the best for you.

The irony is that in real life there's no perfect picture and really no guarantees, so the disappointment and grief of their perfect dream for you not turning out quite as they imagined would be there irrespective of your sexual orientation, something they would have had to deal with irrespective of whether you ended up with a guy or a girl. Lets say you where straight, got married with a girl and only ended up having daughters... So much for the perfect picture with the family name being carried forward etc. and so much for controlling the outcome of things we can't control.

It's a stupid notion with unnecessary stress that all parents tend to create for themselves and their kids, so don't take it too personal and don't be too harsh on them for having it.

5. Aielar

My suggestion? Apologize for blowing up at her, but don't budge on what you want your life to be like. It's your life, and if you don't want children, then that's your decision and one she should be respectful of. One thing I've been told quite often is that when we change our behavior, other people often change their behavior...so it might be a good idea for you to do some self-reflection on things you could do that would influence your mother to change what she says to you and how she says it.

A potential script you could use for a (in my opinion) much needed mutually respectful conversation is...

"I would like you to know that I don't want children, so I would appreciate you accepting my decision. It's my life and I'll be the one to make the final decision on whether or not I have children or not. I feel like you aren't home much and that bothers me because I would enjoy spending some one on one quality time with you on a regular basis. Finally, I want you to know I'm an adult now and want to be treated like one. This means I will be open to respectful communication from you, and I will be respectful during conversations in return, but I will not listen to being told what to do with my life."

If your mother doesn't react positively to that then that's her choice and says more about her than it does about you. Hang in there, I'm in a similiar position with my parent that I'm trying to break free from...if I can do it, then so can you :slight_smile:

#5 Aielar, Feb 3, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  6. TheSeeker

You know, questions like that rarely come out of nowhere... Do you think your Mom suspects you are gay? I am sure this is a question you don't really want to consider, but do you really think she has no idea?

From your descriptions of your home life and living situation, it sounds like you are much closer with your Mom than you are with your Dad... How would she take it if you just came out and told her. Would she kick you out? Parents can be surprisingly resilient when it comes to accepting their kids. She may freak out, but at least she won't think that you hate her... Not at all telling you what to do, just food for thought. What is your next move?

-The Seeker

7. XsabercaliberX

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know how it feels. At first when I told my step dad about being gay he was fine and then came today where he tried to dictate my life because he viewed gays a "weak" people. I guess that at first it was the shock talking but when he broke everything done he couldn't except it and got mad. He tells me that he won't have a son who's gay. I moved out today into the street but my mom found out and called the cops to find me. I eventually came back thinking I rather live in the streets. Don't think that way. What they said is true. U don't know what u have until it's gone. I missed everything i owned back home. Anyway ride it out until you move out and tell her that your an adult and that she can't control you (what adult hasn't used that excuse). Hoped this helped (I don't think it did but I tried) and one more thing don't let one thing stop u from being who you are when somethings in ur way push it aside a moment or go around it don't just let it sit there and mock you. Hope everything turns well

8. wowiemio

I have the same problem, i'm now 28 and in the middle eastern culture, a guy doesn't leave his parent's house till he is married (worst culture ever) so i live with my parents and now my mom is pressuring me to get married, specially that all my cousins around my age did. So far i'm telling her that i'm broke and can't afford it at this moment cause of the flat that i'm buying, i hope that by next year it will be ready and i'll try to move out, i hope i can avoid that topic with her or getting caught till then