1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Best Friend Issue

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Flugelhorn38, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Flugelhorn38

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm only out to a few people. In high school, I think I was fearless and out to everybody, but now that I've come the the midwest, I'm often very nervous about who I tell. My first year of college I came out to a few friends one night while drinking, and only one of them I really feel like is my friend anymore, and he eventually came out as bi to me a year later. My boyfriend knows that I am bi, which seemed difficult for him initially, but now he's fine. Until very recently, I've been ok with being someone in the closet and someone out. I'm not an activist, it's not a part of my daily life. Even in high school when I was much more open, this was not a huge part of me, because there are other parts of me I think are more important (being a good student, getting into graduate school, eventually being a mother). I kind of miss that, miss feeling comfortable not being out. Now however, I feel like I'm lying, even though nothing has changed.

Biggest of all is my best friend. When I first met her, she had just come to college and she was an army brat, rather conservative, and not someone I would be open with under the best of circumstances. But, in the past few years, she turned in around and become someone who I would want to be out to. Unfortunately, she still doesn't know many LGBT folks so even though she says she's supportive and loving, I still don't feel like I can trust her.

I feel wrong not sharing this with her and calling her my best friend, but I don't know how to tell her. Any thoughts or advice?

2. pheonix7078

Out Status:
    A few people
    What does your inner voice say about your friend? Instincts really are right more often more than not.

Worse case scenario, she decides she can't be your friend, but is that very likely, given how much she's grown?

What's more likely is that she's touched that you could tell her and she already had an idea. Even if she feels weird it'll pass and things will soon get back to normal.

Don't deny yourself a good friend out of fear.

Being more practical arrange to visit her for a movie night or something and watch something super gay, get a bottle of your favourite poison and have fun with it. If it gets too weird for you then you can always just leave.

Either way good luck and I really hope it goes well. Talking as someone who lost a best friend because I was scared I'm sure your bravary will be rewarded!