1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My friend is Panromantic/Asexual

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MusicIsLife, Feb 3, 2013.

1. MusicIsLife

Hey guys,

my friend came out officially to me as asexual and now I'm having a bit of a hard time giving her advice. From my POV the Panromantic bit i understand it as you want the love part of a relationship but not the sex part.

Then out of the blue she texts me last night upset because the guy she had been seeing then stopped seeing is now seeing her friend and no one told her. I mean, I do feel bad for her and it was wrong of them to not tell her right at the start, but i gotta say, im not really surprised. I cant see many peope who'd be able to be in a sexless relationship.

My question is how can I best support her and not accidentally insult her? Asexuality is new territory for me and I don't really understand it.

2. -Michael-

Quick side note: I think all these new orientations we're coming up with is ridiculous.
    Like, i get it, but we're taking it too far.

But anyway, treat it the same as you any other orientation.
    If anything, it's easier because you know she's not in it for the sex.
    So you know it genuine emotion she's feeling, not lust.

3. curlycats

I honestly don't even see why her sexuality would at all affect how you support her in this situation. WHY the guy is now seeing her friend is entirely irrelevant since they had broken up prior to all this. completely leave out any sympathy you may have for the guy because it's irrelevant and support her as you would anyone else. the guy seeing her friend does not at all reflect on his feelings towards her.

@Michael

if you think asexuality is new that is simply ignorance on your part. if you are referring to panromanticism, i still find your opinion ridiculous. i guess either way we both think something is ridiculous. :slight_smile:

#3 curlycats, Feb 4, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2013