1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apathy?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by fuzzyfeet, Feb 3, 2013.

1. fuzzyfeet

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't really know how else to describe it but I've been feeling really apathetic towards everything lately...like not particularly depressed but definitely not happy either. I can't remember the last time I felt actually really happy and it's hard for me to get excited about anything anymore. It's been affecting my grades (negatively) and making it harder for me to just do everything in my life. Like I never want to do anything anymore.
    How do I get out of this rut?

2. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    l've always ha to seek out a lot of different things to not feel this way.

l don't really identify with depression, l do think if you told a doctor this they would probably label you with it. The newer depression screening tools include some questions that would generally qualify a nihilist with an existential void for an MDD diagnosis.

But...l can't say for sure if l've been "happy'' since l was a kid, l just don't know.

l do get to a point where l'm so apathetic that it turns into a feeling of being so neutral about life that l decide, "since l don't care about anything and all of my feelings are manufactured chemical reactions anyway, l might as well choose to only experience happiness.'

And it usually works...lol. But. For me it doesn't last and l have to seek out more people or things, or ideas to keep the feeling going.

Note that this turns into destructive behavior for some people which can and should be avoided :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#2 OMGWTFBBQ, Feb 3, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  3. Mogget

Apathy and lack of affect (emotion) are symptoms of depression. Depression is commonly thought of as feeling bad, but it's really more of a family of emotions that have as a common thread a lack of interest in life. I'd suggest seeing a counselor.