1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About being out ?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by legitawesome17, Feb 3, 2013.

1. legitawesome17

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I personally think I'm ready to be out.I fully accept myself and my
    parents have learned to accept me,too(they weren't in the beginning).
    I however have some concerns.I am froma Filipino-Canadian family and
    my parents hang around many Filipinos.It's really frowned upon by most
    of them,the Catholic church plays a really central role in Filipino culture.
    Even my parents are very religious they just somehow managed to reconcile
    their religion and their gay son,it's not very common .Anyway back on topic,
    if I come out some of my Parent's friends will somehow start figuring it
    out and I am really afraid they will start dissing or gossiping about our family
    or start discouraging my Filipino friends from hanging out with me to prevent
    them from getting "the gay".I can still read and write Filipino and when I stumble
    on Filipino forums,once Homosexuality is talked about,it's always negative.Like
    "It's unnatural"yadda yadda"It's a sin" or "Gays will never go to heaven".Should I still
    come out. and be me?

Uhh I hate my ultra religious culture so much.One day I'll leave and marry some guy
    I love who isn't part of my culture group and I could finally escape from this.

#1 legitawesome17, Feb 3, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  2. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    "Be yourself. It doesn't matter if it's good enough for someone else."

:grin:

3. KTWK

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Being out doesn't mean you have to run and tell all your family's friends and your whole church while waving a rainbow flag. There was actually just a thread posted out what being "out" really means... just be yourself, and be honest with others. If someone sincerely asks you, then be honest with them. Reactions are often a lot better (or not as bad) if they ask you, rather than you telling them unnecessarily.

Besides, you're not bound to your roots. Like you said, just marry some guy and leave all of it behind if it bothers you that much!

4. legitawesome17

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  5. DeanIsHome

Mabuhay! my mom's half-Filipino but was born in the Philippines and is an extreme Catholic so I get what you mean my family gossips a lot and like everyone's really close all the way to my about 3rd or 4th cousins so a really big family, my current plan is to wait until i am financially sufficient or i have enough back-up support and come out and if they kick me out or i don't feel safe i can have somewhere else to go.