1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I thought my mom was okay with it.. but I guess not..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by acinorev, Feb 3, 2013.

1. acinorev

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    A few weeks or so ago I decided to be more "open" about my sexuality.
    Including telling my mom, for reals. Not in a joking manner whatsoever.
    We've never really been close, she's always been an emotionally abusive person, but we had been getting on together really well! So I thought it was a good time.
    Her response was to basically ignore it and go shopping.
    I thought this was an okay response, because I mean, at least it wasn't anything bad, and I know how horribly some people have it when they come out.
    A couple weeks have gone by and there have been a ton of snide remarks about me being a lesbian, but today it was really bad.

Basically she was watching this really dumb wedding video (the one where they dance to Justin Bieber) so I said gag what a stupid video. (I know. I'm a shit disturber.)
    "Shut up it's not like you'll ever get married."
    What the hell is that supposed to mean?!
    "With the attention shit you're pulling."
    Oh because it's sooo for attention.
    "Something, something.. God forbid you ever do anything normal."

I thought she was okay with it, but I guess not. The way she's acting is like she hates me for being a lesbian. If she even believes I really am. Apparently it's an attention ploy.
    But it's not. I am, and I just wish she didn't have to be such a bitch to me. Especially when it all seemed fine when I told her at first. But despite the celebrities on youtube, it's gotten worse instead of better, and it feels horrible.

:bang:

2. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

I wouldn't even worry about it. If you've never been close, and that type of behavior is what her personality is like all the time I wouldn't even pay it any mind. I know it's hard because she's your mother and is suppose to be, like, a decent human being but a lot of parents just aren't.

3. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    u___u l am sorry hon.

you don't sound really reactive toward her which is good, you also sound like you are sure of yourself and aren't making this about her.

She sounds...like she has had some troubles in her life. lol. And not even really listening to you. l can't say l would have chosen her as the first person to come out to, but what's done is done.

You need to get space from her if you can and find people who are listening. Gay people...mostly :wink:

4. KTWK

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah, just don't pay her any mind if she doesn't bother you. If you want her to realize that you really are gay, just wait for your own wedding day. Then you'll get to rub this all over her face...:lol:

5. acinorev

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I really need to get this through my head. >.>

She never had a mother, but I still haven't grasped the concept as to why that means she has to deprive me of one as well. Not sure I'll ever understand it, but I'm starting to cope with it.

I really do need to find other gay people to communicate with! Oh wait, that's why I'm here. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I don't really care if she "realizes" it, it's just the whole "this is a ploy for attention" thing that's bothering me. Odds are she won't be invited to my wedding. But I'll rub pictures in her face afterwards. :lol:

6. Hot Pink

There is this weird belief that just because someone's gay means they won't ever have stable relationships or get married. My mom thinks the same thing. She wants me to like men because to her that means marriage and children--even if it's adoption in my case. She can't fathom the idea of me marrying another woman and having children with her. It doesn't matter what they think, though. We'll just have to prove them wrong. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. Akatosh

Woah. Move out of the house ASAP. Doesn't sound like that toxic environment will change overnight.

I received similar criticism from a brother today over text. While I'm not out to family just yet, there are a million indicators to be somewhat sensitive to sexuality around me. We were joking around on a group text with the cousins, and I made a remark about moving to LA (as a joke), and my brother said "We want to keep our family tree as linear as possible"

Dafuq

8. jadakiss97

Awww :frowning2: that makes me sad. my mom shivers everytime i bring up my sexuality -_- pissses me the fuck off