1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Good Book on Being Gay

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Darkrai, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Darkrai

Darkrai Guest

Can anyone recommended a good book regarding being gay and dating. I think I need some guidance!

2. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

You might need to get more specific on this one because there are thousands of books we could all tell you about.

What exactly do you have questions about? What are you having trouble figuring out?

3. Darkrai

Darkrai Guest

Well I have that feeling like, "Well, now I know that I'm gay, what now?" Like today I learned about PFLAG meeting and LGBTQ friendly community centers and think that would help.

I guess I'm looking for something that will help me get more in touch with the gay community.

4. Jeff

Well, it is hard to give you any advice when your age is not mentioned. And you are not out.

Now just because you are not out does not mean you can't actually enjoy some things that are there for guy man.

I would start out of I were you and go to the West Hollywood Library, and look around there. Lots of hot guys are there, tons of books, and it is very new and beautiful. Then go and hike up Runyun Canyon and check out the hotness there.

Both of these activities plant you near the gay action, but keep you out of the booze and drugs, and the "scene" so to speak. It could be a way for you to slowly step out to some, of a few people. In fact, I am out, but I like that library and that hiking area very much.

And you might want to join a gym that has a high percentage of gay men. Gold's in Hollywood being very gay and not expensive, Crunch on Sunset / Crescent Hts. being very gay, very hot for checking out guys, and rather expensive as well. But it depends on your own age, and physical condition.

Ok, this should get you a bit in touch with the community alright.

I avoided mentioning cruising spots, and bars.

5. Incognito10

"The Way Out: The Gay Man’s Guide to Freedom, No Matter if You’re in Denial, Closeted, Half In, Half Out, Just Out, or Been Around the Block" By Christoper Lee Nutter

I read this book over the summer in about a week, which is unusual for me. The book was very empowering and almost spiritual (not religious though). He makes some great points about accepting yourself. He really follows through well by the end of the book. My only complaint, if you want to call it that, is that his writing style seems amateur; but again, he does really follow through on his points and really left me feeling uplifted and "good" about being gay and my place in the world.

6. Darkrai

Darkrai Guest

Jeff, I'm 23. Thanks, I really like your advise.

Incognito10, Thank you for the book. I think I'll check it out.

7. Kay

Kay Guest

Being Homosexual: Gay Men and Their Development : by Richard Isay I think this book covers everything you might want to know and then some. Hugs doll i hope it helps

8. Darkrai

Darkrai Guest

Thank you Kay!!! That sounds something that would really help. (*hug*)

9. Chickenlover

...trees and rocks and rocks and trees and WATER!
    "Outing Yourself; How to come out as lesbian or gay to family, friends and coworkers" by Michelangelo Signorile is a good book, if a little old fashioned, about how to handle the coming out process and live as an openly gay person. I haven't actually finished it, but it seems quite nice.

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I strongly recommend Joe Kort's amazing "Ten Smart Things Gay Men can Do to Find Real Love" which... has almost nothing to do with finding real love, but everything to do about finding out about yourself, learning a bit about gay culture, and gaining a much deeper understanding of yourself emotionally and psychologically. It's not a breezy read, but it's worth it.