1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What can I do to help my friend?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Andane, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Andane

So I have this friend, and for awhile she's always been kind of depressed, and feels like she's not emotionally "right" like normal people. She also talks about how her mom is kind of neglective, and how a crappy home life may have contributed to all of this. I've tried talking to her, offering my support and encouraging to try and seek help to sort things out, but the thing is, she doesn't want to. She flat out said to me, "I know I have issues, but I don't want to seek help. I don't trust therapists or counselors. They couldn't help me anyway, that stuff never works." No matter what I try and say or do, she refuses to let me or any of our other friends help her, and won't take action herself. She doesn't even want to try and work things out on her own either.

Basically, I just really don't know what to do. I mean, part of me feels I shouldn't go inserting myself into people's business and problems, and I know she sure as hell would be absolutely furious at me if I tried talking to a counselor about it. But I can't just sit by either when she's making no attempt to work through the issues that are taking such a toll on her. I mean, if it would help her in the long run, I don't mind if she's mad at me now. But, I just don't know what to do in this situation.

Sorry if it's a bit much to read, but any advice is appreciated!

2. TroubledRyan

This seems like a tough situation, but in all honesty there is not much you can do for her. If she has absolutely no motivation to help herself, and loathes other people helping her, what are you to do? Like you said, you can be assertive, and that might be the best idea. You would have minor consequences in the larger scheme of things, like her being mad at you- but you just might save her life if she is that depressed. However, even if you try to get help for her, she can choose to not take it. Only her parents can force her to go to counseling, and as you said they are negligent. You can try to get her help with that, and even then it could be a bumpy road. It is a very precarious situation. I do hope she chooses to seek out help though.