1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice for coming out to my religious mom?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ConnDonn, Feb 4, 2013.

1. ConnDonn

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Okay so my parents are highly religious and was wondering if there was a way that I should come out to them and a way that they might find it easier to have a bisexual son? :eusa_doh: :help:

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there, and welcome to Empty Closets. :slight_smile:

One thing to consider is to continue to build your support network before coming out to your parents. Your parents might need some time to come around to it, or be able to reconcile their beliefs and having a bisexual son. According to your out status, you are out to one friend. If you are comfortable, maybe try coming out to a couple more friends. Is there someone in your family that you could come out as well? If possible, I would also encourage you to join a LGBT support group.

As part of building your support network, and in preparation for coming out to your parents, try finding a LGBT friendly church or a pastor/minister, and talk with him/her. Not only might this provide you with some comfort, but he/she might be able to give you some useful tips on how to approach your parents as well.

Given that your parents are religious, it might help to speak to the fact that the Bible reflects the times and ideas about life when it was written. You might also want to speak to the fact that your sexual orientation is a part of you but does not change you in any way - thus perhaps also addressing some of their fears/worries.

3. Ianthe

I wish I could say with confidence that it was a good idea to come out to your parents at this point in your life. If you think there is any chance that they will kick you out of the house, or send you to reparative therapy, or seriously harm you in any way, then you should wait to tell them until you are able to support yourself financially. As Mirko said, it's also a good idea to have a support network in place.

When you do tell them, Matthew Vines is the best I've ever seen for reconciling being gay (or in your case, bisexual) with Christianity:

[YOUTUBE]ezQjNJUSraY[/YOUTUBE]

4. Ditz

I concur, there's no way to know how your parents will react, do you think they will be accepting or is there a possibility that things might backfire pretty badly?

If there's a chance that things could blow up, maybe you should consider getting your education done and dusted with some good solid ground to stand on before you out yourself... Besides, what's the rush?

5. jadakiss97

Had the same problem. My mom is sooo old fashioned. unfortunately she found out because she found a letter i wrote to the love of my life who happened to be a girl and i screamed at her i liked girls...i dont suggest doing it that way :confused: the best advice i have, is be prepared. my mom cried and was pissed and doubts me but she still loves me. took her awhile to realize that. just sit down and say it.