1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel a bit.. Awkward?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SparkleDuck, Feb 4, 2013.

1. SparkleDuck

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    For months now I've pretty much found out that I am transgender.
    I feel comfortable thinking of myself as a man.. but for some reason today, I finally pulled the courage to ask my friends to call me by the male pronouns and my chosen name.
    It felt extremely awkward.. I just feel like bawling because I want it to feel the same as my birth name.. I never felt it really fit.. but now that I've attempted to change it, it's apparently more fitting. I don't know why such a simple thing bothers the hell out of me.. Is there any other trans* people who felt kinda like this when they first tried to change, namewise? :icon_sad:

2. AaronG

AaronG Guest

I'm not transgendered but I can kinda understand how you feel. it'll probably take some getting used to since you aren't accustomed to being referred to with male pronouns by others but as time goes on I think it'll feel more natural. Just keep going by your preferred titles and i'm sure you'll feel better.

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't lose heart-- the longer and more frequently you hear it, the more natural it'll sound. Rather than "my chosen name" it'll register as "my name" and your old one will feel less important. :slight_smile:

4. Greendalehumans

I don't really know how to help :/ I mean, you've had the name your parents gave you for most of your life, I can't imagine it would be easy to transition to a new one. Maybe there's a male version of your old name? Perhaps that one would feel more suitable.
    Again, I have zero experience in this so don't feel the need to take what I say to heart.

5. SparkleDuck

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yeah I guess this all makes sense.. what you guys are saying.
    Haha.. I didn't really expect this to be such a huge obstacle for me..

6. Kgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe it's because you've chosen it yourself... that's a little unusual in itself! Maybe get your parents to choose it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Although I guess it's a little late now, lol.

7. SparkleDuck

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Maybe that could be it..
    I wish I could.. I mean they told me what name I'd have taken if I had been born male.. It was after my uncle but I honestly found it extremely unfitting.
    I took his middle name - unknowingly , to be honest. Haha. I'm extremely wary to come out to them about this all.. they just assume I'm a tomboy, as they always have.