1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Scared Welder.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by welderboy, Feb 5, 2013.

1. welderboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Alright, so I need some adivce.

im scared and I dont know what to do. I know who I am and I accept who I am, and my family loves me for who I am, but it seems as though living in this small town, and telling a few wrong people about my life choices in bieng gay, is starting to affect my life.

2 years ago I moved to this small town in Northern British Columbia for work. im 26 now so I moved here when I was 24. I moved away from Vancouver BC where I was living with my Boyfriend, to move up north just because the money up here is so much better when you are working in the oil patch. I went to school when I was 21 for welding and absolutly loved it. have busted my ass to get to where im at now, and it seems as tho shits starting to hit the fan.

I just bought a house 4 months ago, and started a business at the same time. there are many sub contractor welders here in this northern country, all chasing that good money cause it pays 3 times more than if you were an employee somewhere. I still have my partner in the picture, we have been together for almost 7 years now and I proposed last year. due to get married next year in 2014, hes finally moving up here this summer which Im so excited about. theres a 25 year gap between us but I honestly dont really give a heck what other people think, its my life, ill live it the way I want to live it.

now my problem is, is that last year I told a few of my coworkers that I was gay, and told them abit about my personal life cause they were trying to dig into me pretty hard, because I dont really speak about my personal life. I was friends with them before I told them but once I told them about my life, things just got awkward. When I told them I said not to tell anyone, cause i figured it would happen to lead to the situation where im at now. scared, and not sure what to do. I guess I finally told someone cause I was tired of hiding it. and pretending to be straight. its not who I am, and honestly im tired of going to the strip clubs in this town. I just wanted a few more friends that I could open up to.

Now bieng a welder, I have to network alot to hear about jobs and such in the oilfield. its a pretty small community. and it seems as tho now that I have told a few people. the word has gotten around this town and now im doomed. Im pretty professional at what I do. im not flamboyant nor do I talk about my personal life with the other guys that I work with ( other than a few who I thought were my friends ). and its starting to affect me getting contracts for work because of some homophobic people. I lost a job last week because the foreman found out that I was gay because I made the other workers uncomfortable, even tho I never opened up to any of them, they just found out though the grapevine. I just found this out tonight that thats why I lost my job, and when I was told that I was done there, my foreman told me it was because I was the new guy and im on the bottom of the totem pole which I totally understood because he said he was running out of work to keep the other guys busy. now the foreman told my roomate ( my source of information to why I was let go ) that he doest care about my personal life, its the other guys that are razzing him thats starting to bug him and hes trying to make the other contractors happy. which is very dissappointing cause I thought i was kinda buddys with my foreman.

my Partners 51, and hes moving up here this summer, he doesnt have a job yet cause I said that Id take care of everything cause I make three times the amout that he does, and if my business was doing as well as what everyone elses was id be making 300grand a year, id be set. now im scared because ive worked so hard for this since I was 21. and ive busted my balls for the last 5 years and I dont want me bieng gay and everyone bieng homophobic to lead to my bankrupcy. my partner doesnt know that this is going on and I know I have to tell him pretty quick here cause the summers approaching, but I dont know what to do in the meantime. my self esteems getting lower and i think im starting to get depressed. with all my debt between starting up my business and buying this house ( which I plan on flipping in 5 years with a friend just to make some money ) im almost 400 thousand in debt and im scared. I dont want to drag my partner into this but i know i gotta tell him.

Now the reason why im on here explaining my life story is not because i need advice telling my b/f about the situation thats going on, its because i need to know how to deal with the other homophobe contractors that I work with so It doesnt affect my life. anyone got any suggestions?

#1 welderboy, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hard to say, but I'll try some suggestions.

There's nothing wrong with living closeted if that's what you gotta do to survive. But in situations like yours, it's tough to pay both sides of the street. When you come out to a few people, word gets out. In small communities, any gossip is juicy gossip, and it don't cone juicier than this. And ideally, the thing to do is to own it. No, not everyone will get it, but you're more likely to get more people accepting it if you stand your ground firmly. Hiding it suggests it's something worth hiding. Being up front about it suggests it's not something o be ashamed of.

I don't know much about Canada, welding, or your specific community. Maybe your situation is salvageable, maybe it isn't. But I would suggest two things. First, own your sexuality. There's rally no use in hiding it at this stage of the game. You don't have to introduce yourself to people as "the gay welder" but if it comes up, don't play coy with it. Secondly, tell your boyfriend. He deserves to know the situation, and what he might be getting into. It might be that having him there will ease the homophobia - they'll know you as "that couple" rather than as the gay guy who might be checking them out. Or it might get worse, due to the age difference. Tough to say. But I think your partner needs to know.

Lex

3. PeteNJ

You ought to feel damn accomplished as a 26 year old, buying a house and starting a business. Good for you!

How being gay impacts your work. - that's tough. I can only say I hope the quality of your work and work ethic speaks for itself. Do you give out a resume or list of jobs you've done the last couple years up there? That might help.

And while it's a small community, go back to where you've done work in the past. It's all about networking

About your fiancé (and congrats there as well), for you two to have a lifelong partnership, there can't be secrets between the two of you. Youre going to have to share your worries and concerns with him, the sooner the better.

Sounds like you have a plan to stay up north just a few years. I would think as a gay man and with your fiancé as a gay couple life, not having other gay guys as friends could be lonely at times

Tough spot. Welcome to EC and keep posting

4. Rapter

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Start looking for another welding job, I know here in Alberta there is a HUGE demand for welders, maybe consider moving a province over? And yes, you must tell your partner, he has a right to know and he might be able to help. Pick yourself back up (maybe with the help of your partner) and get a weldin.

5. Motov

And this time keep whatever happens in your bedroom in your bedroom,...If you play it smart you can very easily dodge personal questions, after all it is non of their business anyways.(!)

6. June Cleaver

This is a hard problem to solve. Before I became a housewife I started my life as a mechanic at a Buick dealership. Mechanics also tend to be a rough crowd like you are dealing with. Quite by accident I made the right friend. Then I realized the guys looked up to him and once he gave the green light I was accepted. Now I still got smacked on the ass, and asked for BJs all the time, but it was friendly, no longer mean. I used to roll with it rather than let it bother me. Maby if you find the right friend, you will be more accepted. If not it will just take time to work out if it will. You may just have to move and hope your reputation does not follow. I also feel you should tell your partner right away. He can at least help you emotionally through this and may have the right advise you need. Good luck! June

7. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Perhaps you could use your welding skills to start a new business building high quality custom made dungeon furniture, sling supports, and fixtures etc. for the fetish scene.

8. welderboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Alright, So I told the partner this am. and things seem to be ok, I was going to tell him anyways cause I dont ever hide any secrets from him. No need to build a relationship hiding things and Lying cause it wont get you anywhere.

So I was doing some thinking, and I read the posts that you guys replied with, and thank you very much. I actually agree. i guess im at the point right now where I gotta own it. but it just hurts that I havent done anything but try hard in my career and this is the shit that I get. The foreman also said to my roomate that hes gonna try me again this week and see how it goes, but if he gets razzed again too much hes going to have to let me go. which leaves me 2 thoughts. do I just avoid this job and find something else so that hes not in that position, or go and try hard and if i get let go, then just ask why. I could cause a scene, but then I know its not going to help me at all one bit. there are many other jobs out there but why should I have to goto camp if I can be home every night. I guess I could also go back to welding by hand ( not with my business ), but thats not why I opened my business.
    so flustered right now. and I know I started to make the partner worry about comming up here. uugh why is life so difficult. guess I could go and get a welding ticket that supervises theyre welding, then fuck the welders over that just fucked me over.haha but im not arrogant like that.

9. PeteNJ

welderboy, is making it through this, doing what June Cleaver posted a possibility? Joke about it... and laugh it off -- then buy a round of beer for the guys after work?

10. luvanmusiq

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I say try your hand at the old job again and own it as Lex said. While your inthere try to do the thing June did as a mechanic. Maybe show your boss that your cool and it will flow to the little ants of society called your coworkers. It is unsafe to give so much of your personal life out to those who may not understand. I just started a new job and once I found a guy and girl to confide in then I was. Good to go. But the guy was gay and the girl was already cool with the gay guy so it was a sealed deal from there. I'm just making a sugguestion should u try your hand at another area or trade. If things seem to work outt at work then great, but if you don't see a change keep working with the goal to get out and go somewhere else. But keep that goal to yourself. ;-)

Congrats on all the fantastic things you have done by the way.

11. welderboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    yeah that sounds like a good plan June, Ill try that, not sure how well it will work, but I guess its a start. better than just giving up. Thanks for the help guys, if you can think of anything else let me know :slight_smile:

12. PeteNJ

don't wear pink to the next job :icon_bigg

all the best...

13. welderboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    ahahah. what about fabulous orange with reflective stripes :wink: haha. thanks.

14. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, first of all: good to see you told your partner! It might not solve the underlying problem, but that's one less thing to fret about.

Like Lexington, I'm not from Canada, and not a worker. Though I do work with workers a lot (being an engineer in a chemical plant). One of them is even gay (straight acting and never brings it up, but everyone knows). My first reaction, like Lex's would be "if shit hits the fan, own your shit!"

By which I mean: they might talk tough when you're "that gay guy from out of town, doing some welding over there", but they might be more agreeable if they have to talk to you face-to-face.

What you (IMO) need to do here is not withdraw, but get out more.
    If you have a free moment (and regulations allow it), hop by in the worker rec room. Try to join into a discussion.
    If they joke about you being gay, own it and laugh it away. If they say "ooh, it's the gay welder! cover your asses, guys!", you reply with "don't get too excited. Looking around here, I was just thinking of converting back to being straight!" (in a jocular tone, obviously). The point is showing that you can take it and still dish it out.
    Be honest, but refuse to make it a big deal in any way.

That generally goes for small communities, by the way. Even if you''re feeling like staying at home, you might be better served by finding out the most popular bar in town and spending one or two nights a week hanging out there. It's going to be a boring few nights at first, but once people see you around a lot, they might open up.

The foreman... is kind of weak for giving in to his workers so quickly. Then again, being a foreman is a careful balancing act. However: he might not be willing to make a stand, but he is, or so it sounds, fundamentally well-meaning.
    Maybe you need to throw your cards on the table here, if you lose the job. Have a talk with the guy. Mention that you know and respect his tenuous position in this. But that, if he can in any way recommend you to a superior or anyone else in his professional circle, you would be very much obliged.

I know this is probably very much what you're not wanting to do here. If people give you shit, the last you want to do is offer the other cheek and an outstretched hand and try to become friends. But it is, in my limited experience, the best way to get on people's right sides. You can cry all the way to the bank later :wink:

Last, but very much not least: I do applaud you for starting your own business and moving to make it work. That takes serious balls and I am kind of in awe.

15. Jim1454

Hi there, and welcome to EC.

This really sucks. I'm sorry to hear you're going through this. We sometimes forget, living in a major metropolitan area, that attitudes like those you're experiencing still exist in more remote places.

Not much to add to what has already been said. In talking to the forman, I'd ask in a fairly non-threatening way if your orientation is causing any tension on the worksite - and ask him if he thinks there's anything you could be doing differently to put people at ease. You shouldn't need to - but it wouldn't hurt to ask. That at least starts the conversation.

Ideally this could be a learning / teaching opportunity for these people. There's nothing for them to feel uncomfortable about, yet they do. But the more it's talked about, the more common place and 'normal' this might become for them.

I've never worked with welders... and I didn't come out until I was in a fairly senior position, which meant my peers were well educated and the less educated were my employees - so even if they'd wanted to give me a hard time about it they didn't. But again - living in Toronto helps.

16. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

You made the "big city" mistake in a small community.

How does that old saying go " Fools rush in where angels dare not tread".

I am not saying you are a fool, simply expecting big city mentality in the trundle brush is naive.

Small communities are tight knit. Gossip moves faster than a tissue in a tornado.

Small communities tend to be conservative too. When resources are limited you have to be conservative to simply get by and this translates to social morays as well.

You have transgressed small community rules. Not saying these rules are good or correct, simply you transgressed small community culture. Here on in you are in their limelight and your partner arriving and your marriage will only hit their high beams. The age difference... Gosh the implications to small community culture will make your head reel.

This has nothing to do with you and everything to do with small town culture. You were simply naive to it.

Unsure how you leave the limelight but assume everybody knows, nobody understands and they will be cautious.

Stuck

#16 skiff, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  17. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Definitely give it another try. Feel free to tell the foreman about your partner. "You know, I DO have a partner, and he'll be moving up here soon." People might feel "safer" around you knowing that you're "off the market", if that makes any sense. And feel free to let everybody onsite know. "I may be gay, but I'm also a damn good welder. And I'm here to weld, damnit." :slight_smile:

Lex

18. Trailblazer

I've been looking into trades and other careers in close knit communities, and things like what is happening to you is what holds me back. I give you major kudos for actually sticking with it and following through with what you want to do. Even if you're getting some shit about it, I'm sure you can pull through and it will end up working out. Its pretty cool to know there's some guys out there in these kinds of jobs, one is better than none man lol.

The only thing I really can do is just reiterate what quite a few people have already said and at this point just own it. If the foreman wants to give you another chance, that at least means something that he does acknowledge that your a good worker and worth keeping around. Good luck with everything!

19. welderboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks for the support and advice guys, I really have learnt something form this.

So heres an update, shall we say a really really really messed up update. thought id kinda turn it into a short story of what happened but it just throws a whole twist to what is going on.

No I didnt do anything durastic or ever call anyone out on this, I actually spent most of the day looking for another job cause I didnt have plans on trying to go back to the job that i got booted from, even tho the foreman said he would give me another chance.

so heres the fucked up situation. I was on an online dating site last night checking my messages and I ended up getting a message from someone. now he wasnt really my type, but could have been. didnt have a profile pic, and hes smaller than the guys I really like and younger too, but thought fuck it ill just chat with this guy who is married and has a kid and is very discreet. now his profile says hes 32 and 6'0 and 210. and I usually chase the guys that are atleast 230-250 and 40+ and if theyre shorter, its a turn on too.

We were chatting for probably 15 minutes, before I got bored and thought that it was going nowhere, so I said I had to goto bed cause I have to be up at 5 am to go and apply for some jobs. he says, sounds like your a welder or or helper, and I laughed and said yup, guess your in the oil patch. he responded with yep im a welder too. after reading that I was so excited, I said finally! im not the only fuckin gay welder in this town. wow. ( jokingly ) and he said im not gay, im bi curious., to then i said sorry oh yah.
    so anyways we were chatting back and forth, he said he was up the highway working, and in camp at a place called wonowon. now this is the place where id be going if I stuck with the company that I got booted from due to the lack of work last week, but my foreman said he can probably get me a few days this week too.
    so anyways I started explaining my situation about bieng gay and bieng a welder and how it fucking sucks and the situation that im in, and the guy was saying please dont tell anyone about himself, and I was like yah bro, definatly. I wouldnt want you to be in the same fucked up situation that im in.
    I introduced myself and so did he, said his name was J. We started doing name drops of who we knew and he said he lived by this one welder (lets just say his name is K). and I was like I know that guy, he lives just up the street from me. said he was a good guy, but thats one of the guys that I was working with last week. said it was him and another guy named G. K said he didnt know who G was, but said he will try to help me find work around this town, hes got a few connections cause hes been welding since he was 18.
    I started to name drop a few more people in this town that I worked with, and said I had apprenticed under JB, and he said he knew that guy. then he was like oh your so-and-so, and I was like uuggh wtf, so you do know me. he said K was his middle name.
    so at that moment, things started to get messed up. he kept saying, please dont tell anybody. to then I was like, yeah totally, I wouldnt want you to be in the situation that im in, but you know who I am and I dont know who you are, and ive never worked with another welder named keith before. and he said yes you have, you worked with me in Horn River.... at that moment, i was super confused. couldnt place who he was. he than said his initials. TKO.. siad I couldnt figure it out. then i wrote T? to then I got no reply. nothing for a few minutes. which then left me shaking? i had no idea what was going on and I was pretty nervous. obviously this guy knew who I was and I had no idea who he was. Maybe I gave out waay too much information to him.

After a few minutes I got a message back from him saying, check your phone. My phone was in the other room, so thats why I didnt hear it, I checked it, and it was a text from TO saying, shut your mouth....
    so It turns out the guy I was Messaging with on the gay dating site was the guy that I was just was working with in Dawson from the job I got booted from. I told him Im so confused ( playing it cautiously cause that was aparently one of the guys that was homophobic that got me ran off from that job ),

whoops gotta go, sorry to leave in suspence.

A

20. DanD

First off, huge congrats at doing so well at such a young age.

I'd have thought that your foreman would have the balls to stick up for his workforce equally, regardless of what they do outside of work.
    When work colleagues try to prize info from people who don't say much about their personal life, I think that's completely wrong. Also, it would be difficult to simply say "hey, it's none of your business", if you want a good working friendly environment.

I'm not sure what to suggest, but at the very least you have someone there to support and to help you through it; that means a lot.

Take care