1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tomorrow I'm going to do it.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by xxMMxx, Feb 5, 2013.

1. xxMMxx

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So I'm meeting up with with my best friend tomorrow and I'm going to come out. I currently feel sick and nervous at the thought of doing this but it has to be done I haven't been able to sleep right for the last week now averaging two hours sleep a night the rest of the time I sit awake thinking I should tell someone. The secrecy and lies are starting to eat me up and I just can't keep the web together. I can't wait to be free from this and be able to focus on enjoying life not wondering who suspects from the fact I have never had a girlfriend or even got close to having one I assume is everybody. Also having to construct more and more elaborate lies to cover my tracks which has already cost me friends and is going to cost me many more if I don't act soon as the only way to hide is to push people away.

Sorry this turned into a bit of a rant I had to vent. What I was wondering was if any one know a way to lead into the conversation? :starwars:

2. KTWK

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I wouldn't really lead into it from everyday conversation. But that's just me, everybody has different ways of coming out. Personally, when I tell friends, I just tell them directly, I don't try to lead into it or say it as a "by the way.." type thing. But every situation is different, and I'm not trying to tell you exactly what you should do. Just do what you feel is the right way, some friendships require more of a casual mention while others need a more serious tone.

3. PeteNJ

Since he knows you so well, my advice, is to launch right into it. Then let the convo flow naturally, you explaining what you want to say, he asking questions.

If this was someone you didn't know so well, then more of a lead in... "you know I haven't had any girlfriends and I've been trying to figure out what I want. etc. well, I'm gay...."

I ran the convo with my best friend through my head 1000 times before I spoke with him last week. That helped me feel more comfortable. Though that doesn't take into account what HE was going to say :eusa_doh: It was a very natural convo. I think I was floating on air after I told him.

All the best!

4. davidroberts

hmm is he / she supportive of gay ppl ?? :slight_smile: you can jus try to find there views about it and then proceed. there is a chance of last minute chickenin out. so you can write a letter and give it to him if you are not able to tel him directly :slight_smile: best of luck :slight_smile: you can do it

5. 461 467

Personally, I've always seen this sort the thing the other way around. I only came out to one person in a serious manner, and everyone else learned in casual ways. However, I was comfortable with my sexuality for many years before doing so, and was not concerned with whether or not I would be accepted. I suppose that xxMMxx's situation calls for a more serious attitude, however. If this is eating him up inside, a serious talk with a friend would definitely be more appropriate than a casual statement.

xxMMxx, it sounds like you are making a wise choice to come out, but think carefully about what you want to say and how you want to say it. In any case, you will probably be a lot happier when you start getting everything off of your chest.

6. Knowbie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't really have much advice, I just want to say good luck and I really hope it goes well for you, I'm currently in pretty much the same situation as you are in right now, :grin:

7. 461 467

So did you do it?

8. xxMMxx

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    He couldn't meet up yesterday I'm meeting him today instead.

9. KTWK

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Good luck!

10. 461 467

Yep, good luck!

11. Jordz

Hope it works out for you!

12. xxMMxx

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I did it and it went brilliantly. He said he did care who I was and he congratulated me for doing it. I can't describe how great I feel a weight has been lifted from me. (!):icon_bigg:icon_bigg(!)

13. KTWK

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's awesome. I'm so happy for you! Congratulations.

14. 461 467

Congrats! I told you you would feel better after doing it. Lol.