1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Was building myself up now back to square 1

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by iGay14, Feb 5, 2013.

1. iGay14

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So today the gay marriage debate was on the radio and my mum bought it up over the dinner table and I was getting confident both of my parents would be accepting and I said when my mum asked me there's not much to say about implying it should obviously happen I didn't say too much to avoid making it obvious that its something I care about but my dad then said its "unnatural" that civil partnerships are enough and yeah kept saying it was unnatural! I resisted the urge to get angry and just quietly disagreed as such mum mum was shocked by what dad said as well and then it was just a bit awkward. Well the whole conversation was awkward for me. But now I feel totally scared pushed right back in the closet and my view on their view has just sort of been proven wrong at first I was angry about hat my dad said but now I'm just nervous and scared. Before I was building my confidence up to telling them but now I feel like I'm back at square 1 scared and nervous :/ :icon_sad: :confused:

2. KTWK

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think you're perfectly fine; in fact that sounds like good news! You now know your mom is fine with it and even supports gay marriage, and if your dad said that civil partnerships are enough, then he isn't against gay people or gay relationships, he just doesn't think they should use the term marriage.

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Sorry to hear that the dinner conversation turned out that way, and that it became awkward. (*hug*)

Even though your dad might hold that view at the moment, that does not mean it can not be changed. Often times, upon learning that their child isn't straight, parents will change their views and come to understand a different point of view. Some parents might also feel guilty for some of the things they have said. That said, has your dad ever said anything more than that?

From this conversation you have a bit more information about your parents' views and it has perhaps also given you an idea as to how you could approach your coming out to them. It sounds like that your mom would be a good person to talk to first. I'm sure your mom might have chatted with your dad some more about it after and might have a couple of more insights now as to why he said that.

In some ways, you aren't back at square one, because it is possible that your mom brought it up to give you one or two hints. She might suspect or feel that something is up, and is trying to make it easier for you.

#3 Mirko, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2013