1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Approaching 16

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Rexmond, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Rexmond

Hi guys. Just some things that I've been thinking about. I would like your advice to help me decide whether I would be doing the right thing or not.

16 is the age of consent in England, Which means in a few months time, I can start having sex (yay). This means that I can finally get a bf too. Also I hope to plan a future, but I don't know if it'll be the right guy or time. I just want to get away from my family as quickly as I can. How could I do it without my parents finding out.

2. Knowbie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey, I just want to say that Iam in the EXACT dame situation as you xD I'm 16 next month and I really want to find a bf, the trouble is that I don't know any gays my age :frowning2: sorry I didn't have any advice, just wanted to tell you how similar our situation is xD

3. PeteNJ

is that getting a BF or moving away?

getting a BF... a lot easier if you come out. then, you need to hang out with LGBT folk -- whether from school, pride center, or otherwise.

moving from home... stay in school, get an education, then you'll be able to be independent.

4. Rexmond

Getting a bf that is.

I can't come out to my parents. My dad would make my life hell. He'd disown me and kick me out the house after doing some terrible violent acts. I will have to accept it one day, just not atm as I'm 2/3 of my Gcse exams. My mum isn't accepting of gays, and she would tell my dad if I came out to her.

5. Given To Fly

Bear in mind that you are still technically considered a minor until you reach 18. Your parents are legally responsible for you until you reach that age. In certain circumstances that responsibility can be terminated, but it's tricky at best. Be careful :slight_smile:

6. SparkleDuck

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think it'd be a better idea just to wait off a little bit, if it is really that dangerous to you if your dad finds out. There'll always be people for you to meet and date if you really look. I'm 16, turning 17 in a few months but personally, I'm waiting to find someone when I'm a bit older. But even if you do feel the need to absolutely find a guy now, you really need something like a backup plan. Sort of a safe place to go if your dad does become a real negative threat and homelife is no longer safe.

7. Rexmond

Well honestly I had hoped to have a bf, and start planning [our] future with him. I have a few friends whose parents would let me stay round theirs for a bit, so that isn't a problem. It's just if that did ever happen, and my dad did disown and kick me, then my entire family would know, and I can't really stand them as it is.

8. KTWK

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I feel like I can give some advice here - though probably not the kind you want to hear (sorry).

I'm sort of the opposite perspective from you. I'm also 16, but I'm emancipated, meaning I am not dependent on my parents, have my own source of income, and have a lot of the same legal rights as an adult. I also have a boyfriend in another state who wants me to move in with him. I know this sounds like a dream to most teenagers, but the grass is really not that much greener over here.

Planning a future would be good right now, but not around a boyfriend. That doesn't mean you can't get one, but you can't yet plan your future around him, as I've come to realize. What if you break up? Some relationships seem perfect from the start, but you never know where it will go. You need to have a plan, go to college. Get a decent degree so you don't end up like one of the 40 year old gays working at Starbucks. Unfortunately, you're going to need your parents to help you pay for college, but this doesn't mean you can't date. Just live in a dorm, and you can be as gay and free from them as you want, besides maybe a few visits on holidays.

Trust me, you want to go to college. It's the best place to be as a young gay adult, because you have the highest chances of finding a boyfriend and because you need a degree. You need your parents to help you go to college.

Don't grow up too fast. I regret it often.

9. kiltrout

kiltrout Guest

All I can say is be careful as sex can be quite dangerous.