1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this considered transphobic?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by thebrightficus, Feb 5, 2013.

1. is it considered transphobic to not want to date someone who is an mtf or ftm? i'm honestly curious cause i can't come up with an answer (i'm not exposed to a lot of trans issues) and google's not very helpful in answering this question.

like, the only thing i came across that gave an answer basically said that if being trans is a deal breaker then "fine, w/e. just like i have deal breakers so do you" and etc. but i want more broad answers

2. Gerit

I don't think it is. Obviously a trans person isn't going to have the 'real deal' (as in genitals) as opposed to a natural born male or female. I think transphobia is more along the lines of "You're transsexual? That's so disgusting. Get out." more than whether or not they're sexually appealing to you.

3. Minx

I honestly don't know how it would be taken as.

I personally don't think it is, but I wouldn't mind dating someone ftm. :slight_smile:

4. 461 467

It depends on why you are opposed.

I've thought about whether or not I could ever be with a transsexual, and as much as I would like to say that I am open-minded to finding love in any form, it just freaks me out to much to think about being with someone that is not fully male in both sex and gender. And that is to say nothing of the fact that I would not be able to have enjoyable sex. On the other hand, if I were bi, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

5. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    some MTFs look hot and it really makes me question my brain.

l don't get how l could be a true homosexual and think an MTF who hasn't even fully transitioned looks hot. No hormones or anything.

l don't know, l'd have to be in the situation to know, l guess. Not really transphobic, honestly l think what would be the deal breaker for me would be that the body just wouldn't be as feminine but STILL l don't know >_>

oh and for pre op, lDK either. l really have never felt specific issues with genitals lol. But l guess l do like girl parts and feel neutral about a penis.

#5 OMGWTFBBQ, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  6. SparkleDuck

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    To me I wouldn't consider it transphobic at all. Not wanting to date or sleep with a trans* person is completely different than say, completely avoiding them/harassment/whatever - things that are clearly considered transphobic. You know? It's just personal preference, right?

7. Hot Pink

I have my issues with this... I wouldn't call it transphobic, but I dunno. I wish more people could see us as more than genitals, that's all.

8. Ianthe

Some trans people, especially some transwomen who transition early, have very successful transitions, and you really can't tell by looking at them that they are trans. Their genitals and everything are changed, so that they look the same as a cisgender person of the same gender, and it takes an expert to tell the difference.

If you refuse to date someone you are otherwise attracted to, not because of something physical about them that doesn't work for you, but just because of the knowledge that they are trans, because it makes you feel weird or something, that is transphobic, yes.

9. FemCasanova

I do not think it`s transphobic, if you are simply not attracted to transwomen/-men who has not fully transitioned yet, but a general awareness that it can be hurtful comes in handy, so that you can handle it in a nice way. If you had a rule about never dating a transgender, or get creeped out because someone you think might be a trans enters the room, then yeah, that I would consider transphobic. If you generally are not attracted to transwomen or men, then it`s the same thing as not being attracted to short people, like me, and it`s not really something you can change.

Personally I have found several transwomen attractive. I dated one once who had not transitioned yet, but I would have handled that and we could have worked it out fine, if not for other issues totally gender/sex-unrelated. So, there are a lot of people out there who find transwomen and men just as attractive as every other person of their gender.

10. Attraction is attraction. If you think we should die and are inferior to you, on the other hand, then yes, you are transphobic. Otherwise, you're fine. Everyone has their preferences.

11. what about the feeling of 'legitimacy'? im going to word this very carefully because honestly i'm not sure how to express it.

like, i noticed the feeling some people have on this is that their feelings wouldn't be such a big deal if we had the technology in order to really 'perfect' the transition. for me, personally, my perception of gender is a matter of both biology and how someone identifies themselves. is that considered transphobic because they don't have the biological factors to bear children? (unless i'm wrong and my knowledge of transitioning surgery is outdated. if so, please correct me with proof)

i don't wanna make make myself seem transphobic because i'll be very honest with you, the feelings between thinking about this issue as well as meeting an actually attractive trans person are completely different in practice (because yes, i've found incredibly hot trans men before)

12. Niko

I don't find it to be transphobic.
    Personally though, I do get sad when people only think of the genitals of a person. I feel like because I wasn't born with the right parts I won't be able to find a guy who likes guys...without the parts.
    But, you're attracted to whoever you're attracted to.

Now if you thought trans* people were disgusting, freaks, weirdos, etc. Then maybe you'd be transphobic. If not I think you're okay.

13. Ianthe

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Do you mean that you think they are not "legitimate" men and women? We would usually consider that transphobic.

Since you're gay, I'm not really sure what child bearing has to do with anything.

14. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    it's an interesting point about biology. personally l don't care about the reproductive aspect though.

But l had always thought that maybe my orientation was somehow a product of biological factors, as well as preference for a certain appearance. Something underlying that l was attracted to in women.

ln studies with gay men, they have showed that some gay males will respond to the sweat of other men and not women, like hetero men do.

So something along those lines, l thought about. And then seeing MTFs who aren't biologically different or even on hormones look hot.

Still l don't know if it would translate to real life, but it makes you question how your homosexual preferences really operate.

15. Eatthechildren

Even without any hormones, they're still women in womens bodies. So you get to keep your gaycard m'dear :wink:

---------- Post added 6th Feb 2013 at 09:34 PM ----------

I think automatically ruling out Trans* people because they are Trans* is Transphobic... But if you have a problem with their parts, you can't exactly be forced to have sex with them :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

16. mothcaterpillar

My dad told me men wont want me cos Ive just come out as ftm n originally being female wont feel right to gay men
    Apparently he's worried ill be forever alone guy

I supose it would be transphobic if you reject somone purely because of the fact they are trans

---------- Post added 6th Feb 2013 at 10:01 PM ----------

My dad told me men wont want me cos Ive just come out as ftm n originally being female wont feel right to gay men
    Apparently he's worried ill be forever alone guy

I supose it would be transphobic if you reject somone purely because of the fact they are trans

17. Minx

:frowning2:

I like to think there are others like me, who are more open to it. :slight_smile:

18. Eatthechildren

Naaaah. Sure there's some gay men who are Transphobic, but there will be ones who don't care :slight_smile: And Bi guys who most likely won't care. And other gay/bi Transmen! :grin:

19. Madeleine

I don't think it is transphobic