1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Depressed and can't concentrate

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jared, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Jared

So as a lot of you know I've been dealing with depression for a while know. I've doing okay for the most part until about a week ago. Something kinda triggered my depression and I spent one night just crying my eyes out, and I don't even know why. Now I've been having so much trouble concentrating in school and I just can't find the motivation to do my homework or study. Seriously all I want to do lay in bed. I have so much to do and I'm actually scared I might fail a few classes. It probably doesn't help that I just broke up with my boyfriend, even though it wasn't a good relationship and the break up needed to happen. I'm just at the point where I don't give a shit about school or anything and I've been sleeping a lot lately which isn't good since I should be studying. I made an appointment to see my therapist but I couldn't get in until next week. Any advice guys?

2. Ditz

Go see your doctor and have him prescribe some anti depressants. That together with therapy will help.

Meds will fix the chemical imbalance in your brain, takes about 1 to 2 weeks but will treat the symptoms and give you the necessary relief that you need to function normally again. Therapy will help you deal with the cause of your depression so that once you go off the meds you don't fall back into depression again...

You need to tackle this from both sides as I'm sure your doctor and therapist will tell you.

Beside that, talk... Talk to friends, talk to family, talk to us on this forum, the more you do the better you'll feel.

3. Jared

I'm on anti depressants already and they do help a lot, but I still struggle from time to time and the last week as been a struggle

4. Ditz

I have gone trough the same thing, it's not always easy I know...

What helps for me is doing some sport, I literally force myself to go to gym when I'm down and out even though the only thing I want to do is crawl back into bed. The endorphins I get from exercising gives me an immediate high so it pays off very quickly and after a week of daily workout routines things turn around and my zest for life returns all by itself. Any workout that gets your heart rate up will help, swimming, running, cycling, mountain biking, weight training... Dancing!!! Music and dancing does wonders for me, so crank up your stereo and sing and dance in your room like a mad man and you'll feel great afterwards!

The other thing that also helps is to surround myself with friends and just visiting... I know not easy but it helps too. Talking to friends gets your mind out of the rut and something else to think about.

Finally, when it comes to meds, if the ones you are on loose its effectivity, go to your doc and let him prescribe another type. Not all anti depressants work the same way, so another brand might work better for you.