1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I know which gender I like?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by AGirlWithADream, Feb 6, 2013.

1. AGirlWithADream

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I may still be young to decide this but 2 years ago I was on a sleepover. Me and my friends (all girls) decided to play truth or dare. When it was my turn I picked dare... I was dared to kiss my best friend. I actually liked it. It felt good and right. I never told how it felt though. Since then I never really talked about it. I also couldn't imagine myself kissing a boy. When I think of kissing I can only think of girls lips on my lips. :icon_redf I feel attached to girls and I once had a dream where me and a girl (I never knew) were making out. :icon_redf I liked it and I still kept it to myself. I sometimes fantasize myself being with a different girl. Then again, I find some boys attractive and stuff but I just don't feel my emotions towards them as strong as towards girls. I'm under 16 so I'm not sure if I should talk to anyone about it because I think that I might be bisexual. I would love to get some advice and help on what I should do. Thank you~

2. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oooo la la! Sounds like some fun times! :wink:

Well it sounds like you are at least bi-curious, but I'd say you're bisexual to some degree. Any attraction has a romantic and sexual component to it. Do you feel ok at the thought of dating women, or is it only a sexual thing? Do you feel ok at the thought of dating men or is it just a sexual thing? It seems like you may be more attracted to women sexually, but remember that there is also a romantic/dating aspect of any relationship.

Peace and love!
    :thumbsup:

3. AGirlWithADream

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I feel okay at the thought of dating women and I feel like its the right way. When it comes to men, I would date them but I wouldn't go too far.

4. Awkward Balloon

I'm kind of in the same situation as you, including the childhood experimentation :slight_smile: I know that I like guys, and as you have I've experienced dreams about guys as well. But I can get emotionally attracted to girls and guys so I'm not sure what that means. And as you mentioned in your second post, I don't think I could go far sexually with a girl.

My advice is that if you have a trustworthy accepting friend come out to them. Or if you're sure your parents are okay with LGBT try talking to them. It feels really nice when someone knows about it and you can then speak to them about your thoughts that you have bottled up. If you're still not comfortable sharing your feelings just hang around on EC for a while and you can share your thoughts with us :grin:

5. AGirlWithADream

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's a great feeling knowing someone had some similar experience as me. Unfortunately, I can't tell my friends about it since they don't really accept stuff like that and they would most likely freak out. It's also the same with my family. :/

6. Tiny Catastrophe

It sounds like you are at the least bi but it seems like you might be gay. I mean it takes time to sort all of it out and figure it out and no one can tell you that you are this or that you are that. That's something you have to figure out for yourself. And if you have any questions feel free to ask. I know that feeling of confusion especially after having a random experience like that (been there).

7. MartyK

MartyK Guest

I certainly wouldn't advise you to come out considering you aren't even sure of your sexuality. You're attracted to some guys but you feel stronger attractions towards girls would sate you're bi on the basis that you are attracted to both sexes.

The best advice i would give you at your age is to carry on with life and let time tell and also that a gay man or women can acknowledge that someone of the opposite sex is attractive just like a straight person can acknowledge that someone of the same sex is attractive.

8. Masterpeace

You're still a teenager. It's normal to have these sorts of feelings since all your hormones are raging fast.

I agree with what everyone else is saying. Don't use the label yet until you're very sure. Give yourself 2-4 more years. These feelings are just normal especially for your age. Don't panic.

9. flymetothemoon

Like others have said, I don't think you need to give yourself a label or come out just yet. Give yourself some time to figure things out for yourself. It's okay to need to take time to process and come out to yourself before thinking about coming out to others. Many people much older than you still aren't sure about their sexuality, and that's okay.

Once you figure things out for yourself, you can begin to make the decision about whether or not you want to come out and who you want to come out to. Either way, whatever you determine you are, there is no reason to worry or panic yourself about the label, any decision you make about what you feel you are is fine, and you might even decide you don't need a label (I personally feel more comfortable using a Kinsey scale or Klein scale than a specific label because I don't find I fit 100% into any label).

Especially in your situation where you are young and at home, dependent on your family for housing and care and unsure of how they would react, I urge you to be sure that when and if you do decide to come out, you make sure that you have somewhere safe to go should there be any problems. Your family may surprise you and be supportive, and even if they are not initially, many family members come around once they realize that you are still the same person you were before (my own has made a huge turn around on their support of me and my fiancee once they realized it was serious and I wasn't going to "change my mind"), but it is always better to be safe than to get stuck.

Good luck with your journey to self-realization. You seem to be well on your way to figuring things out for yourself and I trust that you will be fine no matter what you find out about yourself and what your sexuality is. No matter what you find, please know that we here at EC are here for you either way! <3