1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reception on coming out over age 25?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by skiff, Feb 6, 2013.

?

If you came out over the age of 25;

1. Was much worse, more difficult than I expected

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. Was what I expected

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. Was much easier than I expected

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  1. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello,

If you were over age 25 when you came ou;

1) was much worse than expected

2) was about what I expected

3) was much easier than expected

2. redstormrising

I came out at 30 and it was pretty painless.

3. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    PROS AND CONS I IMAGINE. sorry for accidental caps there :wink:

But anyway, "older''-people less likely to say you're confused. con-people second guessing you/wondering how you could hide so much/wondering who you really are, etc. especially if you were in heteroships.

etc, etc.

4. PeteNJ

"older" -- I object !!! :eek:

When I started therapy a few months ago, my shrink kept saying that I seemed so sure, so confident about being gay. Well, that's probably because I had a hell of a lot longer than most of you to have the insanity in my head. I'd say about 10 years ago, I realized that I'm probably gay.

But I honestly thought I'd just figure it out, say "ok I understand" and then i'd go back to living my heteronormative life.

well, nope.

What I think will be probably harder for someone whose "older" (ah hem) like me, is that I've had a lifetime of having relationships and intimacy with women. And thats what I know how to do.

With men, well, I never looked at guys as a possible relationship. That wasn't going to happen. It was secretive, closeted.

So I got to figure out how I move from that, to thinking about what my perfect man would be like.

(I actually journaled about this, and had a great time listing all the qualities I'd like in a LTR or spouse in the future. While great sex is part of it, after all, its also about shared values, shared activities, respecting that I have kids and am a single Dad, and building a life together)

5. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    lmao. IDK, so many young teens here that l start to feel "older"myself but then l say something and of course someone else is 45 xD