1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worst professor ever

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by wilted, Feb 6, 2013.

1. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    So, I have this class on Wednesday nights from 4-6:30pm. It is absolutely awful. It's a behavior management class for special education and all the woman does is scream at us the entire class. I have an extra assignment to do because I was texting during class, which I was only doing because if I wasn't doing something I was going to have a panic attack. So, after that incident she started talking about how she only taught at private schools to avoid gay parents. She went on a long rant about how much she dislike gay people. I completely lost it. I literally ran out of the classroom into the hallway and had a panic attack for about 20 minutes. Somehow I was able to get myself under control enough to go back into class. The girls at my table had figured out why I left and they were really nice to me when I came back in. One girl offered to drive me home. I declined and ended up staying for the last 45 minutes of class.

As soon as class was over I bolted from the room and went in search of my roommate. My roommate asked what was wrong and I told her. She told me I should have just let the woman have it. She knows that this is not my personality. Whenever an argument is inevitable I get the hell out. So, now I'm just hating myself for the way I reacted. It's been a long time since I've felt like cutting, but I hate myself so much right now that I want to do it. Anyways, somebody please make me feel better! Please! :help:

2. Gen

Gen

Dear, why do you hate yourself? There is not a thing that you have done wrong. This women was obviously quite disturbed, and in no position to be teaching a behavior mangement class, especially not for special education.

Had she have said something to you specifically, than I would agree with your friend that you should have defended yourself, but that wasnt the case. A part of being a responsible person is to learn how to pick your battles. Its probably not likely that you going off on her would have made her 'see the light'. It would have most likely turned into a pointless shouting match and probably wouldnt have ended very smoothly. You made the right decision. However, I would go and speak to a counselor to get out of here class immediately. File a complaint and switch to a different instructor, or take it online if possible. You shouldnt have to listen to that. (*hug*)

3. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    I hate myself because I never stand up for myself. Whenever something like this happens I just run away. I can't get out of the class. It is required for graduation and this is the only section available, so I'm stuck in this class for another 12 weeks.

4. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

I, like your roommate suggested, would have let her have it. In front of everyone. But have you tried talking to any of the higher ups? There's usually a procedure to phase these types of people out but you have to go through the bureaucracy and that can take a while.

5. KTWK

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If you want to do something about it but are too shy, quiet, reserved, or whatever reason to not let her have it, I would recommend talking about it to an LGBT group and/or taking it to someone higher up. Let them know that she was openly being hateful of gay people to the class. They will send her the message and take proper disciplinary action.

6. photoguy93

this is like, mym worst nightmare of a teacher.

Here's what I would suggest - don't just sit back. Talk with your advisor or another faculty member you trust. It's not that you are whining - if she was nice and said homophobic things, you could probably handle it.

Also, could you record her? I know it's sneaky but if she is THIS bad, you need to do something.

7. Parsley

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Please don't hate yourself because your teacher is a bad person. And believe me when I honestly tell you SHE is the one with the problem. SHE is the one that should be hate herself. Because SHE is a terrible hateful bigot. The problem is not you. Not for deciding not to yell at her, or for running out of the room, or for having an anxiety attack or for feeling the need to cut, or for being gay. You did nothing wrong.

She's the one that has to live with all the vile thoughts in her head and all the feelings of hate. They do not reflect on you in any way. They only reflect on her and illuminate her as an unkind narrow minded person. I am very sorry you had to put up with that in class. No one should ever have to put up with that. (*hug*)

Can you transfer classes so you don't have to put up with her anymore?

8. TheDude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey (*hug*). I'm sorry you have to deal with such an awful professor, but don't think about cutting because you didn't do anything wrong. I know you must be feeling bad about the things she said, but as I say to my sister, there's some people that you just need to ignore and don't let them get to you. Whenever I hear something mean hearted from someone, I just ignore them. I feel pity for them because I imagine how sad and unfullfilling their life must be to treat others with so much hate.

I really hope you get better and don't be harsh on yourself, you didn't reacted wrong.

9. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow, what an awful woman. I have a hard time standing up for myself when it comes to people who have authority over me, such as, teachers, managers, police. But if someone were to flat out say they disliked someone because of the way they are, then I would have stood up and defended myself along with many other people. I know it is extremely hard for you to do. But I try to imagine how much respect people would have for me if I did stand up for what I think is right. Your teacher would have felt pretty embarrassed too, lol. You did nothing wrong. So please don't hate yourself. (*hug*)

10. Parsley

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    There is nothing wrong with leaving a situation that makes you uncomfortable. It's far better than my knee jerk reaction of screaming :***: at people when they have me that angry. So definitely don't be down on yourself about your reaction. Your reaction is MY GOAL! It's what I aspire to. :slight_smile: Now I just scream fuck laced rants a lot, which doesn't tend to fix a situation.

And like everyone else has said you can stand up for yourself by talking to a higher up on campus about her behavior and confront it that way. It probably is a more effective way of addressing it than giving her a piece of your mind would have been.

#10 Parsley, Feb 6, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  11. Gen

Gen

I would still report it, anyway.

And I know that these feelings are coming from more than just this situation, but you still arent wrong for not 'letting her have it'. Sure it may have made you feel more empowered in the moment, but I'm positive it wouldnt have caused an epiphany in this woman. Standing up for yourself, or morals, or others doesnt mean having the courage to scream at someone. It means protecting yourself, doing the right thing, and being responsible at the same time. Extreme conflict wont force a change in this womens hate speeches. I hardly ever argue with people and I dont have the voice to be a very imposing 'yeller', but I still am a bit of a force to be reckoned with. Stand up for yourself by not letting her ranting continue unchallenged. But reach out to her superiors, first of all.

Even if you can gain up the courage to say something next week, dont allow her to let you lose it. She is a hateful women and we all know that her words mean nothing. If you have something to say, then say it. But snapping on her wont help prove your point, and its a lot harder to prove that she is at fault, if you are both shouting at each other.

12. returning

That's horrible. I don't really have much to say, because as usual, everyone else has said what needs to be said. So all I can give you is(*hug*)

13. redstormrising

I don't think you would have gained anything by confronting her on the spot, so removing yourself from such an unpleasant and upsetting situation was a perfectly sound choice. People like that cannot be reasoned with because they are not reasonable. I would report her to the administration. Write an anonymous letter if you are concerned about it being traced back to you. Or better yet, if you know there are others in your class upset about that incident, go to the administration as a whole group to voice your concerns.

14. Cthulhu

I'm sorry you had to hear that. (*hug*)

As previous posters stated, you can try reaching some of the higher ups about this professor's rant. I wouldn't be surprised, if you reach them, if disciplinary action is done on that professor.

15. ControlledChaos

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's appalling. It's completely inappropriate and not what you're paying for. You should talk to a dean or someone in authority. If it were me, I would record it on my phone next time it happened.

16. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

This is abuse and you CAN report her. Quietly let an authority figure know about this homophobia. As a student, its your right to feel safe and comfortable at school/uni