1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meeting other gay people at university

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SomeKid, Feb 6, 2013.

1. SomeKid

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Basically, I'm extremely clueless about how to seek out other gay people in college without going to a LGBT club meeting. I think part of my problem is that I've been so focused on classes the first 3 years that I've completely lost social skills (if I had any to begin with). That, and I just told some of my close friends about my sexual orientation recently, so I just came to grips with this. But, yeah I'm basically clueless.

I really just want to hang out with other people who want to talk about the new episode of New Girl/The Mindy Project without being judged when I criticize what the characters are wearing. :lol:

Any suggestions?!

2. KTWK

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Unfortunately we don't walk around with secret symbols and use cryptic dialogue to identify each other. The LGBT group really is the best way to start, and once you meet a few gay people there, they can introduce you to more gay people.

Whats wrong with the LGBT group? Are you afraid of people seeing you go there?

3. photoguy93

Well, as someone who doesn't like the LGBT group (it's wayyyy too cliquey), there's really not much else to do but make friends with whoever is there. I mean, as was said, we don't wear big Scarlett Letters that say "we are gay!!" Sometimes, you have to pick sides. Either you go to the meeting to make "GLBT" friends, or you just don't. If it happens and you see someone, then great.

4. SomeKid

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's exactly what I worry as well. I joined clubs in high school and unfortunately that's what happens. I want to have a good group of friends, but I don't necessarily want to hang out with the same group of people all the time. But, I'm definitely not super against it, I am just looking for alternative ways.

5. Gen

Gen

Well, I'm sure your LGBT club at college is atleast a little better than the ones in highschool. Even if it isnt, I would definitely still go. Its almost like starting a new school. You probably wont be best friends with the first person you meet, but them showing you around a bit could really help you meet other people.

Either way, there is nothing to lose. No social experience is going to be guarranteed to give positive results. Part of learning to be more social is to learn to try and reach out even when things dont seem optimal.

6. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

The LGBT club is your first pick since its just easier in genera, but if your LGBT club sucks or you don't like it (the GSA at my campus sucks balls), then there are tons of other options.

The college democrats usually have a large gay population in their clubs. The one on my campus and many others even have a committee focused on reaching out to the LGBT community.

Check your Counselign Center and what resources they offer. Many centers offer support groups and LGBTQ friendly staff.

Check if there are other LGBTQ groups besides the main GSA. Many universities have groups such as oSTEM and other more focused LGBT groups.

Check if the agencies that your SGA provides to students. Usually SGA will have an agency or group focused on certain minorities. If you have a main groups like the Multicultural Student Center or something similar, then that might also be a resource for you.

Also, keep in mind that being out makes the process easier. If you are out then you can literally meet other gay people ANYWHERE on campus. I have met gay people in my classes, buses, social groups, orientation, and conferences. We are literally everywhere, but its just easier to find each other if you are out.