1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Too Shy / Inferiority complex

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by The username, Feb 7, 2013.

1. The username

This is not so much about sexual orientation, though it most likely has an effect on how I deal with it. I have decided that I have an inferiority complex, and I don't even know where it comes from.

I think I am decent looking, and I think I am fairly smart. I just look at other people and feel inferior for some reason…

The best example I can think of is education. I don't like being wrong (I mean, who does). But I sit at the stacks or in my room working out problem sets, and it takes me far longer than it should because I am double checking and worrying that my answers are wrong. Also, if I sought help when I didn't understand something (office hours, tutoring center, etc), then I could probably finish assignments much quicker. I don't because I am quite shy, which is a pretty poor reason to not seek help.
    Thing is, I feel like I am fairly on par with the people in the rest of my courses. I feel neither smarter nor dumber than them.

A career fair is coming up. I am going to force myself to go (my friend offered to come with me), but I am very nervous/ anxious about it. I've never worked a job, and don't have much to put on a resume. I worry about going up to recruiters/ representatives and having them look at my small resume compared to my peers.
    The idea of an interview frightens me. The idea of having a boss and trying to satisfy him/her scares me, and one my my greatest fears (when it comes to work) is the possibility of messing up on the job (this fear applies more to my future career rather than a part time job)
    I need to get over this soon, because I intend on getting a job or an internship this summer.

I think my feeling of inferiority/shyness is ultimately my greatest hindrance. I did and continue to try a "give no crap" attitude about what other people think, but I find myself still giving a crap. I have no idea how to tackle this problem.

2. Cthulhu

I can relate. The best advice people have given me on this is "Don't worry what others think of you. Just focus on what you're doing now."

3. starmarie

starmarie Guest

I feel like this, too. I'm afraid of other people judging me and not thinking good of me, and I'm afraid of not doing as good as other people even if I know I'm not inferior. I'm also really shy so that doesn't help at all.

What makes me happy sometimes is doing something I know I'm good at, even a hobby. I like writing, so I try to write something even if I don't share it with anyone (I pretty much never share my writing). Try doing something you like, something that's maybe relaxing and just makes you feel good. Maybe try setting a goal, even a small goal (perhaps an exercise goal, or an academic goal). Remind yourself that you need to meet your own standards you set for yourself, not somebody else's, and you will be able to find a good job when that time comes and you'll do well at it.

Once you go to the career fair be proud that you did, because it was a challenge and you overcame it. :slight_smile:

I don't have it all figured out yet, but I hope this helps.

4. nevashiva

nevashiva Guest

I think force your self to do it, and try to act like your someone else, and the more you do it the less fake you'll feel doing it. If you don't want it to hinder you then just pretend!!! Trust me it works! :slight_smile:

5. Just Jess

One time recently when I was looking up how to deal with the same problem, I read a story about how a dog broke its chain and started chasing after a guy. And instead of freezing or running away, he ran toward the dog and surprised it. The dog froze for just a second and started to run away.

It doesn't always work but I try to do that whenever I get butterflies. I just try to run toward whatever it is that's giving them to me. I know how that sounds but I'm still just as chicken as I've always been, just running in a different direction is all.

Good luck at the career fair :slight_smile:

6. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You're too shy, shy
    Hush, hush, eye to eye
    Too, shy, shy
    Hush, hush, eye to eye
    Too, shy, shy
    Hush, hush, eye to eye
    Too, shy, shy
    Hush, hush

There now remember that I just made a complete fool of myself by serenading you with this old song and it will encourage you to put yourself out there. :thumbsup: