1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Issues with my mother

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by katmando, Mar 8, 2008.

1. katmando

While this is not really gay related(although a little) this support group has been very helpful in the past.

I have learned over the last several months to give up on my relationship with my mother. Like any shrink will tell you I am not going to change her, but I can change how I react. How I react is have nothing to do with her for the most part. I do call her ever few months, if I really need to ask her something or ask her a question about something.

The thing is any talk I talk to my mom its like an alleric reaction. I automatically have to call my therapist. There is something about her is that is so off putting. Her.

The other thing why my mom is no a homophobe, she lacks some tack with the sexuality/gay thing. And has said said some off color things in the past or is really good at just saying the wrong stuff when it comes to the whole gay thing. It hurts a little, but she I realize she is emotinalyl deficient. And little relationship with her is best right now.

I am not saying I have been in angel by any means. But my mother has always had a bad habit of "trash" talking friends and family. Some stuff has gotten back to me. Hurtful stuff.

So I guess I am a little paranoid, but when I talk to her I always hear the "okay" as "gay" and stuff. I use to that a lot with people in my head and some of it is my OCD, I don't do it that much, but whenever I talk to my mom it happens.

Thanks for letting me vent-Share

Btw... I am still making lots of progress in general :slight_smile:

Justin!

#1 katmando, Mar 8, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2008