1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why all the hate?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by PiscesAlien, Feb 7, 2013.

1. PiscesAlien

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As I read the post on here, and from my own expirences, I begin to wonder why people are homophobic in the first place. I've never been able to figure it out. Is it just religious reasons? I've came to the conclusion that humans are hardwired to be tribalistic in some why, shape, or form. It's like a defense mechanism or something. I don't want to believe this but it seems to be the case. Why do you think people decide to be homophobic? :eusa_thin It just doesn't make sense to me. Does it always have to be like this? Can't we all just get along? Is that even possible? I have to believe it is though. But where did it all start? Sorry if none of this makes sense, I have trouble expressing myself in words. :rolleyes:

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's the patriarchy.

3. DeanIsHome

Personally, I think we just hate or are scared of things we don't understand, like I was terrified of snakes until i studied a whole science unit about them, now i have a whole bunch of pictures with snakes and i want one as a pet, but that's just my opinion.

---------- Post added 7th Feb 2013 at 09:22 PM ----------

Not all cultures are patriarchies, my culture is a matriarchy, the women kick our ass.

4. darlig ulv

Some wise words: With small penises comes great ego issues. It's just people own insecurities, they deal with them by taking out their anger on those weaker or more vulnerable than them, or who is just like them...

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Fair enough. In North America, it's the patriarchy.

6. nevashiva

nevashiva Guest

Yes I used to think its religious, but I don't think so anymore, I think religion is homophobic because most people are homophobic...Why...well most phobias are treated by knowing and studying what you fear till you understand their patterns and their behavior and are able to control it and even benefit of it. Kind of like fearing snakes or spiders.

Besides sex is something that even straights are not quiet comfortable about amongst them selves, I mean women supposedly were feared and thought of as cursed due to menstruation. Blood coming out of there was scary. So I don't know.

Being gay probably meant in practice--> no children meaning a weaker society so more easily annihilated by other tribes, so yes I think being gay was easily seen as a disadvantage, women were a disadvantage cause they are weak, but being able to produce babies and they better be boys was what redeemed them I guess.

Kind of like why was the sun in a lot of religions sanctified instead of night time, because the usefullness of the sun is much more 'obvious' than the use of the moon, and with agriculture being a concern, its abscence spells disaster. But in some cultures the sun was too much and within a desert the moon and night time is preferred.

Anyways...I am not really sure about it, but I mean people don't like pedophiles and rapists, and murderers, and gays are just lumped into them they feel they infect society with paraphillias and madness and abuse....they still see it that way, and if they say they accept gays they most of the time say 'but i don't want them near my kids'.

I think a good way for gays to imagine and understand how most straights react to them, is incest there is nothing really wrong with incest from a 'logical' perspective' if they are ok with it whats your problem but most gays I know react 'incest is really gross' kind of way, and I go like i think thats how straights feel about us, its just that instantaneous reaction. You don't really think about it.

#6 nevashiva, Feb 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2013
  7. LailaForbidden

^ This. We are pack animals, whether we like it or not. It is what makes gangs, factions, and religions so appealing to us as humans. It's the sense of belonging and family we all crave. The sad fact is, human nature can be a terrifying and ugly thing. That's not to say we can't rise above it though.

8. Fire2free

Fire2free Guest

That's all true in sone ways but in my opinion it has a lot to do with people being afraid of things they find uncomfortable and the fact most people have some view of themselves being beater or knowing more. I've had trouble completely understanding this as well, I have seen a lot of hate towards the LGBT community. I find that in come cases when people feel they can justify their cruelty, like using religion, them the guilt and better judgement we are taught to have is forgotten and old the uncomfortable feelings are left. Those feeling are able to grow and become hate.

9. PiscesAlien

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks. I totally agree with everything that's been said here. I just have to remind myself that all things must pass, even hate. Even though it seems impossible. I guess I just have to think about something else for a while.

10. Luxury Yacht

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hmmm, I've thought about this quite a bit. PLEASE GIRD YOUR LOINS FOR YOU ARE ABOUT TO ENTER A ZONE OF PURE SPECULATION!

1. “Homosexuality is unnatural and therefore immoral.”

My rebuttal: The appeal to nature is a logical fallacy. This fallacy involves assuming something is good or correct on the basis that it happens in nature, is bad because it does not, or that something is good because it "comes naturally" in some way. This is fallacious because it turns "natural" into an ideal state without any meaningful reason, effectively using it as a synonym for "desirable" or "normal."

The semantic and logical problem is that nature can be defined in different ways. Thomas Aquinas, for example, defines the nature of sexuality as: copulation with the aim of procreation. He does equate nature with morality and so it would follow that all forms of contraception or sexual outercourse (frottage, mutual masturbation etc.) must be immoral.

Let us set aside the nature vs. nurture debate and assume homosexuality is unnatural or “perverted”. This still doesn’t tell us if it’s moral (dealing with ethics) or good (dealing with pleasure). If being unnatural is immoral then surely dogs are immoral, so are cell phones, polystyrene cups and hip replacements. Humanity has always challenged nature to some extent. Or put it another way if natural sex acts can be immoral (rape) why couple nature with morality at all.

2. Fear of the unknown. Homosexuality has often not been acknowledged and openly discussed. It is therefore unknown, possibly a threat ==> fear ==> hate.

3. All male gay sex is anal. (sarcasm). The anus is associated with defecation. Feces is a lovely breeding ground for bacteria. So evolutionarily and socially we distance our self from it. Therefore gay sex is unclean, dangerous.

11. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sometimes the hatred comes from within the "hater" themselves because they are fearful of their own sexuality.

They sense their own sexual tendencies which upsets them.. then take it out on others when they see someone who is gay...

Or just as a macho demonstration of how "heterosexual" they must be they must demonstrate that they hate homosexuals

Its complicated and very sad.. I didn't explain it very well either!

12. hypersonic

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Fear of the unkown, insecurity, orthodox beliefs, fear of the 'abnormality' (not implying that it's abnormal). Someone mentioned the word 'tribalistic' - it seems like the human race and its social nature doesn't like to rock the boat - so something unconventional is tried to be evaded (because it might cause cognitive dissonance or mental disequilibrium - which means holding two or more conflicting perspectives).

#12 hypersonic, Feb 10, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2013