1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get over the fear of hell?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by nevashiva, Feb 7, 2013.

1. nevashiva

nevashiva Guest

So ya I am not religous, but I don't know what happens after death. So I guess I do believe in religion even though I don't practice it at all.

The main reason I am miserable is because I can't be who I am as a gay person (I am out but I am accepted as long as I don't engage in a gay life style).

I feel horrible sticking my finger to my entire friends and family and saying well I want to be gay and happy. But I think I am becoming selfish enough to do that. But it would mean I have to make a whole new chapter of people and erase my old life (I am not sure if it is worth it).

But the main reason I can't take the final step, is because I don't know how to make sense of death, or be sure I am not gonna go to hell for being gay. Most religions say so.
    Other wise no one knows what happens after death.

Did anyone struggle with this? What did you do? Greatly appreciated thanks.

#1 nevashiva, Feb 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2013
  2. Ticklish Fish

if you mean that fiery, firey hell, it's created via this fanfic called Inferno by Alighiri (?) Dante. Additionally, the bible didn't say anything about fire.

also, don't you think some people make living hell before you even die? LOL

3. KTWK

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    There is NO reason to feel horrible about this. You should feel awesome and excited about this! You are not the selfish one, they are. You are not making them reject you. It is their bigotry and selfishness that unfortunately puts you in this situation. You are NOT to blame for wanting to be happy, and if they don't want you to be happy because part of YOUR happiness conflicts with THEIR personal beliefs, then they are the selfish ones, not you. There is a whole world of caring and acceptance waiting for you, and this forum is part of it.

Anyways, as for the hell thing, honestly think about it. If you believe in a higher being that loves all of his creations, why would he make you gay if it damned you to some kind of hell? I know, they try to tell you that it is the act, not the thought, that damns you to hell, but that is just fabricated by old homophobic religious leaders who needed groups to blame to keep their religion together.
    Also, objectively speaking, the majority of religions in the world either celebrate homosexuality or don't even consider it abnormal enough to mention as part of their religion. I remember a recent thread on how Native American religions find it a beautiful blessing to be cherished.

And to be honest, if there were really no gay people and heaven and hell is this fiery gay club the religious bigots try to make it out to be - I can't wait to get there. It sounds fabulous.

#3 KTWK, Feb 7, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  4. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There's fire mentioned in the bible about hell.

Revelation 20:15 ESV
    And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

Matthew 13:50 ESV
    And throw them into the fiery furnace. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Matthew 5:22 ESV
    But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire.

There's more but I'll stop because I'm sure that did nothing for the OP's nerves. :lol:

Honestly though, what makes you think you're going to hell OP? Is it the gay issue or the irreligious issue or both?

5. Darkrai

Darkrai Guest

I'm Roman Catholic... yes a Roman Catholic Gay...

I use to think that if I ever had a boyfriend I would be damned. So I suppressed my homosexuality. But all that resulted in was this strange resentment towards God for making me gay; or for not turning me straight like I had asked Him to do so many times.

Well I confessed this to a priest once. And he almost sounded like Lady Gaga when he said that God makes no mistakes and that I had been born the way I was. :grin:

Since then I have realized that yeah I was born this way. Being who I am is a blessing, not a curse.

I think the way people go to Hell is by WILLFULLY denying God, but not for being who you were born to be.

Hope this helps

6. nevashiva

nevashiva Guest

#6 nevashiva, Feb 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2013
  7. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people

8. nevashiva

nevashiva Guest

lol...no I just, was answering KTWK about that God is loving, honestly when I read the bible and the abrahamic religions, I don't think God is loving and I don't think he says that. I mean he loves with conditions, and he a lot of the time states I am the lord and master so obey, no discussions and that he is not kidding about hell. So that was what I meant, that God doesn't just appreciate love, he wants sacrifice and discipline.

And I just meant that we humans expect a God to be all loving and makes us do whatever we want, when we use a lot of other creatures to do our bidding and rarely think about them, and it would be horrible to kill our comfort for there sake. So I feel like God is just doing what we do to other creatures. Maybe thats just how life is. I mean I didn't ask to be born, maybe thats just how life has to be.

I am sorry I am trippin already :s...I'll just have to gamble, and try being gay there is no way around it. I just wish I didn't feel that the odds are that yes...hell is real...and being gay will take me there. Death would answer that quiet quickly i guess...lol

9. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No need to apologize. You're not trippin'. :slight_smile:

You say that we use animals but other animals kill animals too. However I don't believe God sends animals to hell. We all just do what we need for survival right? It says in the bible that God desires mercy, not sacrifice, so it would be the opposite. Love would serve to be more desirable to God than sacrifice. Then again that's in the New Testament and I'm not sure if that's the faith you were raised with...? =X
    I hope this convo isn't making you uncomfortable.

10. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't worry about hell, since it seems to me that if you find it hard to believe wizards exist, hell seems just as unlikely, especially one that for some reason claims anyone who was homosexual during there life (homosexuality is not a choice, you feel that way whether or not you want to, so why punish someone for it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:).

11. lxlJDlxl

The one word that comes into my mind is, BELIEVE.

Also, do not think that just because someone is not gay automatically means that he/she is saved from damnation. Nobody is for certain who is saved from damnation. It is only G-D who knows that.

Just believe.

Remember why God sent His only Begotten Son on earth for?
    It is to save us,

I hope that you are okay.

12. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Easy answer...

A) death is a birthing process

B) there is nothing after death

If you gave a fetus the choice would it chose the pain, trauma and uncertainty of birth over it's safe providing womb? If dying is indeed a birthing process fear is unjustified.

If there is nothing after death there is nothing to worry about.

Stuck

13. Just Jess

A lot of Lutherans believe that Jesus went down into hell during the 3 days he was dead to save everyone there. 1 Peter chapters 4 and 5 is usually the evidence for that. Some people even believe that everyone's "got to go through hell before you get to heaven". Sorry I had Steve Miller on the brain. I like that point of view better than a lot of other thoughts on Christian afterlife, because it's not just pointless torture and suffering at that point.

There's a lot of opinions on Christian morality and afterlife though. And none of 'em have any more weight than others. Your guess is as good as anyone else's.

14. photoguy93

Well, hey, then I think you need to start up a fire extinguisher drive, because I think most a ton of the people who say "you gays are going to tell" will end up in hell.

Frankly, I think it's just a scare tactic. I, too, worry about death. But I never think about hell. Well, I mean that I don't worry about it. I'm a good person. I know that God loves me.