1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My mum tried to comfort me and ended up accusing me of having an affair w/my st8 bff

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by sunnii, Feb 8, 2013.

1. sunnii

So last week I went on a night out with my friends and me and 1 of my (male straight) friends had to work the next day so i asked if i could stay at his since we both were going to work at the same time and he was cool with that. So after a fun night, we got home we had something to eat had some paracetamol and then we went to bed. We shared a bed but NOTHING happened. He is straight and has a girlfriend and I'm not some pervert.

Next day we and his mum went to work (we all work at the same place lol) and that was that. After work I saw my mum and she asked me where did I sleep and I naively told her me and my friend shared his (double) bed. Her exact words were "well he's a bravey boy" I was a bit bugged by it but I let it slide. And that was that.

I've been on a downer this week and I had a shit day and I got home and the house was empty and I just wanted someone to interact with so I just phoned my mum and she was at her friends house like 40 mins away and I just started talking about how shit ive felt this week etc. When she got home she tried asking me about it and I wasnt up for it. My heart to hearts with my mum always go badly we just dont mix in this kind of thing. I only phoned her because I sent a message to a friend but she hasnt replyed yet and i dont want to bombard her. She asked me if anything happend when I was out and I told her no then she told me she just found it weird that I had shared a bed with my friend and then asked if there was anything going on between us?!!!

1st of all he's straight. 2nd, he is in a relationship. 3rd the door was wide open and his mum was in the room next to us (i know my mum doesnt know that but still and 4th if i was getting action why would i be on such a downer? My mum is not homophobic and she is a good person but she is shit at being the mother of a gay I dont want to say she's ignorant but it's like she's from the 1930s half the time. Im not that angry at what she said but it was just another reason why I dont like confiding in her.

I needed to get that off my chest. I dont know who else to talk to about it because I dont want to say to my best friend "hey did you let me share your bed with you because if you didn't you'd think you'd come across as a homophobe?" And I don't really want to say to anyone else because I'm not going to blurt out that I slept in his bed to others

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: My mum tried to comfort me and ended up accusing me of having an affair w/my st8

I think a lot of guys these days are comfortable sharing a bed in a non-sexual way. I don't think your mom in any way intended to judge you, just remember that she probably doesn't have a lot of experience with gay people... and she may remember herself at that age and be applying her own feelings at that time to what she thinks about you.

I really don't think it's anything to worry about. But you could honestly tell her basically what you told us, and I bet she'd understand. Don't just keep this to yourself; it sounds like you have a really good relationship with her, so communicating will almost certainly help.

3. Beachboi92

Re: My mum tried to comfort me and ended up accusing me of having an affair w/my st8

I think you may be mildly overreacting… just because she asked if you and this friend of yours had anything going on doesn't mean anything beyond she thought you and this friend of your might have something going on. To read any further into it in my opinion is just helping to get you more upset. My mom once asked if I was sleeping with a lesbian friend of mine after I was out and she is the most supportive open minded moms I know. Sometimes people get impressions that are wrong does't mean anything about you or them. Most people would die to have a mom who could so casually bring up "did you guys do stuff together" in that way. Also it may have looked like you feeling bad and that night coincided in which case she might have thought something going on between you was linked to you feeling bad.

4. sunnii

im alright with it now i was just mortified by it. I stayed calm but I could feel my face go bright red. She did ask me something like "you 2 are just friends aye?" We do have a love/hate relationship but nothing to do with any of this. I just dont like having close discussions like this with her because as i've said before she just doesnt get it. Like I know if i told her about my crush (who is the guy is shared a bed with) she'll overanalyse everything. I do have a group of friends I can talk to (unfortunately half of the stuff that bothers me is related to them ie crush and feeling inferior to them) so it's not too bad

---------- Post added 8th Feb 2013 at 11:26 PM ----------

i wasnt pissed at because of me being gay it was just a holy shit moment. like she knew he's in a hetero relationship (half the time i think she knows more about my friends than i do even though she's never met them) and as i said i was just a bit embarrassed about it lol

5. Minx

I have a relative who says the same things.

It's annoying, but comes with the best of nosy intentions. :lol: