1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have no emotion anymore

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Theagonist, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    All of sudden now I have no emotions, I'm completely detached, it's weird because I usually am EXTREMELY emotional, like the smallest things make me sad, or happy, mad etc. I think I started feeling This drained sensation this week... (I'll try to shorten this) next will be my 16th birthday which is suppose to be special, but it's going to be bad. I Really, really want to go to this (Emilie Autumn) concert in St. Louis on Monday for my birthday, my parents wont let me go alone and I don't have any friends so I can't make it and I really really want to go. I don't have any plans at all for my birthday and my parents aren't getting me anything - my mom just said I'll give a hundred, and what I do want (a tim whistle) my parents won't get me because apparently it's weird and I'm some great embarrassment. Also my parents wont let me get my liscence because they don't trust me.,, idk understand why. I don't have any friends at all, I'm bullied a lot, my parents are very abusive and yell at me for everything like today I was chewing on a cup (I chew on EVERYTHING) and she just began screaming at me. I'm usually extremely emotional and I've had an off and on depression for 4 years. I'm failing 3 classes. But now for some reason I've become apathetic, I don't care about anything, I have no emotion at all, like today a kid at my school mocked me and said " I wonder what it's like to a dick shoved up my ass" usually I would probably cry.. But I just felt nothing. I think it's because I don't want to think about my emotional dysfunctions so I don't get Hurt - and I've been very vague and haven't talked about feelings excessively like I usually do... I don't like this feeling...

2. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    After a trauma it's normal to feel apathy or a lack of emotion. I can't believe some guy at school said that to you... how inappropriate....

3. Minx

I go through something similar.

Anything too emotional or volatile, and my emotions shut down.

I think it's a defense mechanism some of us develop to cope.

4. photoguy93

It doesn't shock me. After what you must be going through, you probably have just "shut down." That's kind of happened to me recently. I've just felt...blehhh. I've had so much go on, that I'm just.......yeah.

My advice? You matter. I know it's very hard to do this, but find the happiness in your world. I have a friend who lives in an abusive household. Her dad abused her when she was younger, and they treat her like a little slave. But, she found the bright spot in her world. She made friends and she found some good people. I don't want to contradict what you say, but I really really really think you could find friends. Even if it's online. I don't really recommend that for everyone, but it might be just what you need. There's so many people here! I had no clue that a place like this existed when I was your age.

Also, your depression - I'm not surprised you have depression or other problems (your chewing kind of gets me... is that something else, too?) Is there any way you can get help? Do you have a doctor or someone you can confide in?

5. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well, I just have a constant need to chew on something, usually plastic... I dunno ask Freud. I guess I could get help if I really tried to - but I don't really have any motivation to do anything... But I also dont trust anyone

6. photoguy93

Ok, I'll call him up. Isn't his number 1-800-don't-be-a-smart-ass ??

Seriously, though, I'm just trying to be helpful. I personally don't appreciate people who complain, but won't do anything about it. You have a lot of problems, my friend - it's not that you are a bad person, you just have a lot going on. So, if you have any way you can get help, THEN DO IT. You know you have these issues. You are very open about them. SO GET THE HELP. You'll actually have motivation; you'll want to do things. Then you won't have to be so down about yourself!

7. somerset

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Find a release. Bottling up all of your emotions is not going to help you longterm. It can be a professional therapist, it can be a friend, or it can be support from other places. Keep a journal. You just need to speak or write your feelings down because it helps SO MUCH. I held everything in for years. I thought I could handle it all on my own. It's okay to need help sometimes. Don't feel like you're wrong for feeling this way.

8. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I had journal at one point... my mom found and get extremly pissed at me - I'm not for sure why though...

9. nevashiva

nevashiva Guest

what I am like, and would like to perfect how to not have any emotions...they in my opinion suck and get you no where...

10. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a symptom of depression. You may feel like you're feeling apathy (and you may literally have lost emotions due to a neurological issue such as Major Depressive Disorder), but you're likely just repressing your feelings of pain and sadness. Although it may seem like a relief of some sort, I urge you to try and face your feelings (of course, that's not always so simple, but just don't fall for the trap of becoming bitter/uncaring, don't accept your lack of feelings as an acceptable response). I know a guy who has a lot of rejection issues, and as much as I care about him, he's been blinded to the fact that people truly can, unconditionally care about him. He doesn't have confidence issues, but I always suspect that he never really believes that others care (maybe thinking that they have some superficial reason, or that they'd stop caring in a heartbeat). He's had similar issues as you, and they've scarred him in some ways. It's terrible that the world can do that to beautiful people :frowning2:.

I suggest possibly getting an appointment with a doctor. There are medications that can restore your enjoyment of life, though the most long term success is achieved through a combination of CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) and medication.

11. SmokeandMirrors

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree here. It's almost as if your soul is protecting you by blocking your emotions just as your body does to let you know your are overexerting etc.

I've been there believe me; I had a very very traumatic time when my ex-partner and I lost our first child. It's something that I wouldn't wish on anybody but that only people who have been through it can truly appreciate and understand the pain. For a good number of months I completely shut down emotionally to the point where even our (my ex and mine) work colleagues would hit a degree of concern that would just add fuel to my emotional detachment.

Tell a lie actually, there was only one emotion I felt and it was a burning rage. If i wasn't nullified then I was angry. At myself, at the world, anyone. I'm just glad that in the end I did come out of it when I got in touch with an old friend who didn't know what had happened. We met up and he was a great source of support and a general ear for me to talk to without judgement.

It does help even talking on here but I feel this is one thing you need some F2F support and if you look around, there is probably more than you realise. You just have to let it in.:help:

12. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well today I think my emotions are back... Which is good a I guess except that I've been extremely sad today, and today's my birthday and it kind of just sucks. And everyday this week my parents and sister have been fighting a lot, and it has gotten psyhical lately. What's funny is that I was crying earlier today because that my parents are just going to give me money instead of an actual gift... Which is fine I guess, but it's not that special and I don't get to open anything, and my parents won't let me get my liscence (not that I would get, since I've only drove like 5 times) until at least the end of the school year because they don't trust me... Which is fucking stupid because it's not like I do anything anyway

Wow I'm complainy and pathetic

13. KTWK

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Happy birthday then! My parents just kinda blew me off and just gave me a small amount of cash for my 16th birthday too, which I know seems like a small thing but it was kinda almost like a "fuck you" to me and hit me in a way I didn't expect. I guess it's kinda justified though as I kinda said "fuck you" and got rid of all their parental rights over me not too much earlier.

Better you be complainy to us and let it out here than annoy the people in your life. It's not pathetic to express your emotions, at least you have them back!

14. photoguy93

:frowning2: Let me say that you are by far complainy and pathetic. I literally sad-faced while reading this. You shouldn't feel bad for feeling sad or emotional. However, I'm glad that you are getting emotions back, even if it is just for a small amount time, but I hope it last for as long as possible!

And Happy Birthday! I hope the rest of your day has gone well! Remember - we're always here! :slight_smile: