1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do people have relationships for present satisfaction or future security?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BaciListClostridium, Nov 4, 2006.

1. I've been wondering this for a while now.

I'm happy to not have a boyfriend or any kind of romantic relationship right now, and that's the way I've been for as long as I can remember. I feel like I never have enough time in the day to do all that I want to get done, and a boyfriend would just be one more thing to take care of and pay attention to. Also, I'm pretty moody, and I know if I had a boyfriend, I'd treat him awfully sometimes, which, in turn, would just make me feel bad.

I was having a talk w/ my parents recently, and they know I've always been a "Having a significant other is totally not for me" kind of person. They were telling me that I may feel this way now, but when I get older -- particularly when all my friends have gotten married and have lives of their own that are very separate from mine -- it will be easy to feel lonely if I don't have someone, especially later in life (like in my 60s).

I can't deny the possible truth in that, and I admit that I'm scared it might be true for me. But what am I supposed to do w/ that now? Find a boyfriend just because I'm afraid of being lonely LATER? I think it's also easy for me to go, "Hey, I don't need a boyfriend," today because I feel like if I wanted one, it wouldn't be terribly difficult to just find one. Is that a totally cocky thing to think??? I'm not beautiful or tall or terribly masculine or... well, really, I don't have that many things going for me... but I just don't think it'd be that hard to find SOMEONE. Maybe I feel that way because I'm young enough (24) and I feel like there are always lonely guys who are just looking for someone young, regardless of almost anything. Well anyway, cocky or not, I admit that I feel that way right now. But lately I've also been realizing that this will not always be the case -- that when I get older and uglier and fatter and all that, who's going to want me? When having a boyfriend is no longer a readily available option, then will I want one? Will I want one only when I can't have one?

This has all been going through my head particularly because there's someone who I think might be interested in me, and I don't know how much to pursue it right now. He seems like a nice enough person, and he's cute, and there are a lot of things about him that I admire. I feel that I could learn a lot from him, that he has a lot to offer. But part of me is just like, "Do you really want to go down that road? Having a BOYFRIEND?" And I don't think I do. But I'm afraid I'll regret it later is all.

Sorry for the rambling post -- had to get it all off my brain.

2. step49x

I don't think that it's cocky to not want a boyfriend. If you're not ready, then don't try to rush things. Yes, it might be harder to find one when you're old, fat, and ugly, but do you really think you're going to be the only old, fat, and ugly guy out there looking? :wink:

I think a boyfriend might be nice, but I don't think I'm ready to try to find one, yet. I've thought about it, but I don't think that I'm actually ready enough to go out and look. I have to admit, I'm pretty new to the whole gay scene ( i just started trying to learn more about "being gay" a month or so before college started, and I came out to my parents a week or so before i left, so that if anything happened at college, i wouldn't have to go through the stress of hiding everything from them).

I really think that you shouldn't stress over it too much. If you go out looking for a boyfriend with the sole reasoning "I'm planning for the future," what kind of relationship do you think you two are going to have?

3. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Go for what's right for you at the time. If it's also right for the future that's great, but if not then changes can be made later. You might not be around in 10-20 years anyway....