1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would i have been aborted if they knew?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by silkfrog1292, Feb 9, 2013.

1. silkfrog1292

I came across this article earlier today:

Bryan Fischer: Being gay is the ‘result of a birth defect’ and mothers would abort gay babies - PinkNews.co.uk

After reading it, at first I was understandably angry and offended by his hateful and homophobic words, but after reading it through a few more times. The reality sunk in.

I guess he's right.

If parents have the technology/ability to tell whether their kids are gay or not, without doubt kids that are gay would be aborted. No parents wants a gay child, and unlike skin tone or ethnicity a gay child would definitely have heterosexual parents, so that means this layer of consideration is irrelevant.

For those who says that parents always love their children, think of all the female babies aborted in India and China every year, just because they are female. I find it easy to imagine parents aborting their babies with even greater fervor if they have the means to find out whether their child will turn out gay.

This leads to a depressing thought.

Would my parents have aborted me if they knew I was gay? It's not too far fetched considering my mother chose to abort my older sister when they found out she suffered from an abnormal development in the brain and would likely be disabled should she be born. To think that our parent's love for us, following this logic, is conditional and is based upon how "perfect" we are in our physical and mental sense is just agonizing and sad.

Sorry about this, I just feel very depressed with the world after reading this and i need to vent.

2. Jamipaau

Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't believe your parents would. No loving and logical parent would. Your parents may not agree with homosexuality, but it doesn't mean they would go as far as have an abortion. Parents want their children to be "perfect" because they want them to be a better version of themselves. You are special and worth something. Every single person has something special to them.
    Abortion is a hot-button issue. The AFA is an anti-gay group, as I'm sure you are aware. They are also ignorant and don't follow the natural law what it means. They wouldn't abort you. In my heart, I believe it. I know it.

3. uhm, from what i interpreted of what your mother did, it seems more like your mother aborted your older sister because she would have had a difficult time functioning in normal-day-life. i don't think any mother wants a child to suffer from difficulties in life, especially when they're just born NOT because they were "perfect".

also that's stupid to abort a child because of a "birth defect" if they're still capable of functioning. the whole fucking point in these rights movements (from what i understand..) is to allow people under different groups their own human rights and dignity because they are still human and still capable of experiencing life and functioning perfectly fine, just like anybody else. they can reproduce, they can think, they can do anything any other human can.

do gay people suffer from physical abnormalities that can lead to difficulties? do they suffer from innate mental disadvantages that can cripple them that is directly because of their homosexuality? are gay people incapable of living? no? well there 'ya go! no reason to why a child would be aborted. they're still children, and again, the only thing is that they like their own gender. which, again, isn't even that big of a deal now that we have the technology to allow surrogacy to happen. it's not as if gay people's sperm is defective.

tl;dr: nothing wrong with gays because they can still function and we have the technology to make up for what we are missing (by which i mean surrogacy and getting women pregnant. but...that's stupid too because plenty of gay men have been capable of impregnating women before realizing they were gay. sooo there goes that out the window)

so no, your mom would not have aborted you unless she was secretly prejudiced against gays.

4. silkfrog1292

Thank for the reply, Jamipaau it makes me feel better thanks for the reply too thebrightficus:slight_smile:

I love my parents, they're pretty liberal and i'm quite certain that nothing disastrous would come to be if i formally came out to them (though i don't think i'm 100% ready to at the moment).

But what's discomforting is the ease that parents in general can go to aborting their kids, if parents can abort children just because their gender does not match their expectations , surely parents would be ready to do that to babies that are gay. They may think "life will be hard for him/her if he/she grows up/ i can't bear to have him/her live in sin, let's just give this one up, we can start again".

Of course, once a child is born there's no turning back, but it's this thought that some parents can so easily give up on a life because their gender/sexuality does not conform to their expectations that makes me lose faith in humanity.

#4 silkfrog1292, Feb 9, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  5. people abort their children for a number of reasons, be it social stigmas, prejudice, or to prevent suffering from both the mother and child.

for example, the example you gave with China and India aborting their daughters; from what i understand, this is a result of gender inequality and social stigmas that are rooted in their cultural history (FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND)

i just like to see it as the child was never completely finished anyways, so as far as i'm concerned, the child could not have possibly suffered or lived to begin with. the idea of this child stayed in a limbo the second it was aborted. but all the same, the idea and "life" of this child was passed onto the next. whatever, what i said was a bit of drivel anyways.

6. Auxibiology

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Any parent who was sane and normal would NOT abort their child if they were gay. If my parents knew I was an FtM asexual panromantic, they may just raise me as a man! But in all reality, it depends on the parents, their beliefs, and their feeling towards homosexuals in general.

7. Ticklish Fish

eh... going a bit off tangent
    IDk about the china and india part..
    If i remember correctly, india is second to china in population, and that with male-dominance in the culture and large population, having people making babies is bound to be a problem. I am sure there might be cultural and social aspect behind those... but.. yeah, that's not the topic here

8. MartyK

MartyK Guest

I think your sexuality comes with personality. We are born with such a little amount of personality it would be impossible to tell how someone will turn out. We all believe what we are told until we come of age and then we don't decide but slowly become.

9. Pain

Pain Guest

Is it even necessary to dwell upon this? Can we tell the sexual orientation of a fetus if it has experienced no interpersonal connection? Because there is no way, there is no use responding to the dribble of an ignorant, senile bigot. You are alive. You would not know that, had you been aborted as a fetus. I hate to simply write off your 'what if' scenario, but don't even bother thinking about this. It'll just twist your mind in knots.

10. Ticklish Fish

xD
    can you tell if am embryo/fetus is going to be poor./rich? engineer? doctor? nurse? teacher? mass murderer? hobo? homeless? maybe we can screen babies to lower poverty and crime rates/ sarcasm.

11. Furor Amoris

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't think your parents would have aborted you. I believe if your mom understands you or accepts you now then she would have raised you even if she knew you were going to be gay.

12. Merlot

Sorry but yes you would have been aborted. Food for thought...

13. castle walls

You can never know for sure. All we can do is speculate.

With all that being said, I'm going to say that they would not have aborted you. Homosexuality is not a disability so I wouldn't use their choice regarding your sister as proof that they would have aborted you. It only proves that they aren't staunchly against abortion

14. That1Guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Brian Fischer is scum of the earth. He's been saying batsh*t crazy stuff like this for a while now.

15. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, I read the articles and I'm shocked. I'm taking this newfound knowledge with a grain of salt though. If it's true then I knew something was a little odd with my father liking the movie Brokeback Mountain :grin: And also, I have 3 boys, which means one of them maybe gay. Hmm, I think I'll do some research on this because it's interesting yet disturbing. And to answer your question, no, that's terrible to think that you would have been aborted. Anyone woman who would make that decision for that reason doesn't deserve to be a mother. Parents are suppose to love their kids unconditionally and if any of my boys were gay, I'd be supportive. My parents love me the same, so I've learned from the best :slight_smile:

16. Unsuregirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My mother told me I was going to hell, SO I assume she would have for sure.

17. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

Yes I think that if we did in fact have the technology that more abortions would happen, but look at all the reasons that people have abortions right now? Would it be any less shocking?

I dont think ALL parents would abort their kids, and I think just as it is awful to you and I that people in India and China are aborting babies for being a different gender, I think over time the same would be true of the populations view of aborting gay babies.

I wouldnt asume the worst yet, I still have faith in the goodness of people. Its what makes me beautiful and ignorant though.

18. photoguy93

I don't think a parent would. I am almost positive this kind of argument would have gone around during the Civil Rights movement. I *bet* that if you wrote an article that said "if African American Women could abort their babies in order to become white, they would!" (Ok, it's not a great example. but please read on..)

But here's the thing - love is love. Those mothers would not have done that! Our parents would not abort us because we were gay. I see how it's possible now. But what they want us to do is to give up. If we give up, then they won't have to worry about it. What we need to do is say "bull shit. Take that study and shove it." We matter. People have been using the "diseased/not human" crap for years.

19. RainbowMan

Unsuregirl - that's horrible. I have deeply religious parents as well, and was expecting a similar reaction. Instead, I got unconditional acceptance.

In time, I hope your parents will similarly come around.

As for the actual topic of the thread, I don't think that any reasonable parent would abort a fetus solely because it was gay. There's no logical reason to do that.

20. Nemo39122

My parents definitely would've at the time. Now, my mom is a bit more accepting and might not have if she knew I would turn out bisexual, but my dad definitely would have...

Now, if there was a way to find out if a baby is transgender I definitely would've been, without a doubt. My mom wanted a girl...I don't know how much longer I can live that lie.