1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I may have chosen the wrong choice at University

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Naomilly92, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Naomilly92

Hi all,

I am in my second year at University. I am studying Computing, the first year went pretty well in all honesty, I got some decent grades and I really enjoyed it, I found that I clicked with it and understood everything I was being taught, fast forward another year, I feel completely lost in my course, it's not the fact that I'm stuck with the work, it's that I don't feel that click I felt last year, I've completely lost interest in the course, it now feels like a chore, most of the modules aren't even what I want to do, my grades have heavily dropped, I don't know how to pick them up, I don't feel like I can do really in any of my Computing modules, I'm not even sure I want to get a job in Computing anymore.

One of my modules for this term is a Business module, my first lecture was the other day, I went in there, I felt intellectually engaged, I got involved in debates in the class room, I took notes and felt like there was a meaning to what I was doing, I felt like this was a module I could really do well in. Which got me into thinking, oh god! What if I have chosen the wrong course, a Business degree seems like something I can really sink my teeth into and enjoy, something I'll feel privileged to learn and something I can really progress with and find a career in.

All this jumping to conclusions may be very sudden, but I don't feel the slightest bit of interest in Computing as a degree anymore, any help?

2. ForceAndVerve

I would talk to your uni about switching courses. It may cost you though.

3. photoguy93

Well, you won't be the first! College is about finding your way. If you truly find yourself interested in something else, then maybe take a class or two in another area? I wouldn't suggest just up and leaving your field. Maybe knock out some really useful classes (say, required classes or something else) and then try another class or two?

Or is that not how it works? You mentioned modules - is it something where you take only one class at a time?

4. BudderMC

I briefly switched out and then back into my major, engineering, after my first year, because I thought I found something I liked better. While the experience wasn't bad (because now I know I do want to stick with engineering), I could've gone about it better. Here are the things I kept in mind (and wish I kept in mind):

1) Why do you like one better/worse than the other? Can you find similar things in the program you're already in?
    2) What does the degree you end up with give you?
    3) What career path are you looking into?
    4) Will this affect your graduation timing? Is that a problem?
    5) Can you afford to do this financially?
    6) Do your parents have any say over this issue? What would they think?

Beyond that, I will say (at least for me) the process of switching programs was rather painless. I had to pick up some extra courses, but despite switching out and in, I didn't lose any time (and wouldn't have even if I did stay switched out). Like photoguy93 said, university is about finding what it is you're truly interested in. You'd be surprised at how many people change their minds about their degrees.

A couple of suggestions that I might make for you if you want to explore your options:
    1) Try auditing (sitting in on) some of the business classes you'd be taking if you switched. It might help give you a feel if you like the program as a whole or just the module you're taking.
    2) See if there are any other upper year students in computing or business and hear their stories/why they're in the program.
    3) Talk with an academic advisor. In fact, I'd talk with one from computing and one from business.

5. Naomilly92

You can take 4 modules a semester, 2 are optional, 2 are compulsory

6. biggayguy

I found that straight computer science wasn't for me as well. You may want to switch to a major using computers in business. It's a less math intensive major. I would think most of your credits would transfer but you'll need to ask an advisor to know for sure.

7. Matty1994

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I kind of feel the same as you although I'm only starting university in September. I've applied for computer science but my mind keeps switching between that and politics, one minute I feel like I want to get into all the math and programming involved in computer science and the next minute I want to be involved in the debates and analysis that come with politics. I'll probably just stick with computer science though mainly due to career prospects and honestly I would advise you to finish the computing degree as it can open up a lot more fields than business can, you could even go into business with a computing degree!

8. srslywtf

I chose the wrong degree like 4 times, then realised university just wasn't for me... $30,000 debt later....

Don't worry. It's hard to know! But whatever you do, don't do something you don't enjoy.