1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For Gay Christians

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Seanathon, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Seanathon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So this post is for those of the LGBT community who are also Christians (or any other religion or spirituality). For those of you who don't know, I am gay and I am also a Christian. Unfortunately, many people out there will say that being gay and being a christian is not possible. I understand that there will always be people who will not understand what it is like to be different and be attracted to members of the same sex.

These are the reasons that I have become at peace with my sexuality and with God, and I hope that you can use them too.
    • Being gay is a state of being, not an act of doing. What I mean by this is that you don't have to have had sex to know that you are gay or straight, it is entirely dependent upon who you are attracted to.
    • You are born gay, just like you are born with your eye color, skin color, or hair color. It is not something that you can change, no matter how hard you try.
    • Being gay itself is neither right nor wrong, just like being straight is neither right nor wrong, or having brown hair or blue eyes is neither right nor wrong.
    • No matter how much you try to change your sexuality or cover it up it won't change. A parallel of this is when you dye your hair or wear contacts, they may appear to have changed, but what they are underneath is the way that they were made and the way that they should be.
    • Certain aspects of homosexuality can be wrong in God's eyes, just like certain aspects of heterosexuality can be wrong in God's eyes.
    • A common argument I hear is that if gay people are born that way, what about pedophiles or alcoholics that claim to be "born that way". My answer to this is that all of these things require that you do the action to be one of them. For example, you have to murder someone to be a murderer, you have to steal something to be a thief, you have to lie to be a liar. For all of these things it is not the thoughts or urges that make you a murderer or a thief, it is the action. This also shows how being gay is a state of being, not an act of doing.
    • Another reason is all of the things mentioned above are wrong and a sin because they ALWAYS hurt someone. Thievery always hurts someone, murder always hurts someone, rape always hurts someone, etc.
    • People in biblical times did not have a concept of homosexuality or heterosexuality, they believed that all people were attracted to the opposite sex and that anyone who "laid" with the same sex was just doing it to "go against nature".
    • The above thought is strengthened by the fact that the languages that the Bible was originally written in (Greek, Aramaic, Latin, Hebrew) did not even have a word for homosexual.

I know that being part of a religion and being LGBT can be very difficult, but just remember that God always loves you, and that he made you just the way you were meant to be :icon_bigg. Being gay is just one small part of you, it is just one small piece in the puzzle that is you. No matter how much you try to fit the "straight" piece in, it will never truly make you complete. Don't let it be the only thing that other people define you by and show them what an amazing and beautiful person you are. Help others to realize that the world is not just black and white, or gay and straight, or atheist or Christian. We are all human beings and are all beautiful and valuable creatures. I hope that people from all over the world who are struggling with their sexuality see this and that this helps them to love themselves, especially in societies where being LGBT is not accepted at all. God bless you all. He loves you, and so do I :icon_bigg.

2. castle walls

I think this video should be watched by every Christian. It goes into detail about every verse used against homosexuality and explains that the bible does not condemn it. Religion and being homosexual/bisexual/pansexual/polysexual/omnisexual/queer/ambisexual/any orientation are not mutually exclusive

[YOUTUBE]ezQjNJUSraY[/YOUTUBE]

3. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you so much for this! (*hug*) :kiss:

4. Lithium

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Wow, I'm also a Christian, and those points that you made, help me SO MUCH. Thanks for that. I especially love your 4th and 6th bullet point.

5. Auxibiology

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not Christian, but these make some amazing points! I think I'll share these with my homophobic Christian friends! Thanks for these points and insight!

6. Ticklish Fish

You made some points that I kind of want to burst your bubbles. But otherwise a good post. xD

Ok, help me help you, I had been to church from kid to teen and stopped now for reasons. but some thoughts don't work well in my head haha.

7. remainnameless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I struggle with this more than anything in my life, and you both made great points, but it really doesn't matter. Everyone has their own opinion.

---------- Post added 10th Feb 2013 at 08:14 PM ----------

But still, thanks Seanothon (*hug*)

8. DeanIsHome

I was raised in 2 religions with my dad's side being Muslim and my mom's side being Christians and I've always been confused on what to believe since i was taught about both, personally I am starting to lean more towards Christianity since it seems more accepting from what I've seen compared to in Islam, but in Christianity can someone clear up for me what is the 'Holy spirit' and what is Jesus in Christianity?

9. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Jesus was the son of God. In the Old Testament, animals were sacrificed to wash away sins, but as Jesus was pure and holy, He was able to be the sacrificial lamb so to speak that cleanses us from our sins. (this is why we no longer sacrifice animals... He was the ultimate sacrifice for our sins) When we accept Him into our lives and get baptized, we will recieve the "Holy Spirit" which is like our conscience, but more intense. It is the connection within ourselves to God sent by His son to know what God wants for our lives and inspires peace during dark times. It is like water, ice, and steam, God Jesus and the Holy Spirit are all different forms of God. Write me if you have more questions. ~<3

10. remainnameless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hahaha I just tried to explain this on his wall, but you did a much better job XD

11. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people

I'm sure you would've done just as well dear.
    (*hug*)

12. DeanIsHome

Thank you both for clarifying, I am still trying to understand Christianity a bit more since it's so... i don't know how to explain it.

13. Minx

I read the title as Christmas. :icon_redf :eusa_doh:

14. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just know that there are many Christians on here, and while there is alot of depth with any faith, I encourage you to ask and be fully informed before you choose the religion/faith/spiritual path you choose. I would be happy to answer any questions that I can on the subject if it is well with you. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 10th Feb 2013 at 08:35 PM ----------

LOL :lol:

15. remainnameless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ya, I bet I could answer any Q's you had too.

Despite my earlier failed attempt :lol:

16. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That wasn't a failed attempt. :slight_smile: It's nice to gather information from different sources and you did beautifully. (*hug*)

17. Silvails52

Ugh... I had my parents watch it. They didn't believe a single word he said. They hold the view "love the sinner, hate the sin" meaning I can't act on my attractions, which absolutely kills me.

18. Ticklish Fish

so... For gay christmas? xD:roflmao:

19. Minx

... yes! :lol: :icon_redf

20. localfwbguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I never grew up religious and was very confused about it. I always felt that there was a higher power though. I believe that in all people lies a concept of God, it is a very personal thing which is so awesome. We do not have to adopt another person's idea, but instead are free to come up with our own conception of God or a Higher Power. I found God in a 12 step program!