1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My sanity will not survive this day! (obs ranty)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by RemyLeBeau, Feb 11, 2013.

1. RemyLeBeau

RemyLeBeau Guest

My mother's husband stays home on the weekends and is gone all week as a truck driver. Usually, Monday is my day to relax, pick myself up from the long two days that are my weekend, and recover. And oh DO I need my usual Monday. My Saturday was the most fun I've had in ages, but then Sunday (WORST day of the week) rolls around.

I'm basically forced to stay downstairs ALL day. My stepfather chews VERY fucking loudly if he was eating right now, I would be able to hear him from my room upstairs. While this doesn't sound so bad, it just so happens that I hate that sound so much that I caused myself bodily harm in a fit of rage. Just.... just don't ask, I know I'm really pathetic but yes, when angry I'm inclined to bit, scratch, cut or bruise myself. Once or twice I had to bite my hand really hard because I was trying to rip my eardrums out. I suck majorly, blah blah.

And then there's the manner of him in general when he's actually TRYING. You see, he does not believe that I am gay, and when he does he's very pissed about it. He said bi would be okay because "THEN I COULD REGULARLY PLEASE MY FUCKING MAN WITH THREESOMES". He's REALLY fucking convinced I'd be a good wife so I can clean up after some filthy idiot too, which he reminds me of a LOT. My girlfriend's name is banned in our house, unless he's calling her out on her weight or trying to convince my mother that she's using me.

Because no one could possibly love ME for any other reason.

And he HAS to fucking call me a GOAT. My mother calls me Goat, as a term of endearment (yes I know I'm an adult). HIM calling me Goat is like me calling someone's wife "baby". You just DON'T fucking use MY mom's petname for me! AND I'VE EXPLAINED THIS MANY TIMES.

Then he goes on about how I am a total loser LIKE I DON'T ALREADY KNOW. He says I will fail miserably in ever aspect of life, how a variety of things are all my fault and how my entire family hates me, etc. But today he's brought up the whole "WHY DON'T YOU HAVE A JOB?" bull fucking SHIT.

Now, HE already knows why I don't have a fucking job. I have been BEGGING to get a job since I was ELEVEN YEARS OLD. That's 7 years of begging my mother to let me get a summer job or part time job. She. Won't. Let. Me. She wants me to focus on school. THEN I can get a FUCKING JOB THIS SUMMER. BUT UNTIL THEN I REALLY WISH SHE WOULD TELL HER FUCKING HUSBAND TO SHUT HIS NASTY FACE FOR FIVE SECONDS.

And the worst part is that I don't even HATE him all the time. Sometimes we get along REALLY WELL and then once I'm in a good mood he just FLIPS to "BIGGEST DOUCHE EVER" calling my mom names and ordering her around and mocking her and doing the above and trying to convince my mom I'm on drugs or sneaking out. He purposely trashes the kitchen when cooking so my mom (or I but it's mostly been her lately) has to clean it up, belches loudly and then sits around all day moaning about how we treat him like a SLAVE.

I can't. I just can't right now. This is okay on the weekends but I really can't do this. Monday is MY fucking day, I don't want him here.

I need to learn to relax...

2. Bree

...are you aware that you're mother's husband is abusive? Regardless of weather you get along sometimes or not, he's verbally/mentally abusing both you and your mother. You're not a "loser", you're not going to "fail at life" unless you believe what he tells you and let him control you. Even the most weird and unpopular kids can grow into amazing adults. You're not the same person you were in high school for the rest of your life, you have time to change that.

There's a condition where people can't tolerate certain sounds, often chewing. I can't remember what it's called, can anyone else?

---------- Post added 11th Feb 2013 at 08:14 AM ----------

PHONOPHOBIA/MISOPHONIA:

Phonophobia (fear of sound) is an adverse emotional response to sound and often develops with an individual who has a significant collapsed tolerance to sound. They not only fear the sound of the environment they are experiencing in real time (right now) they worry about the sound that future events of the day or in the near future will produce. It can significantly interfer with a patients recovery as they seek or complete sound therapy. Phonophobia can take over ones life and make one feel they need to isolate themselves to survive. This is a recipe for disaster. It is critical that we keep our ears active to rebuild our tolerances to sound. That is why broadband pink noise is so crucial to bringing us back to the mainstream of life.

Misophonia (dislike of sound) is also an adverse response to sound no matter what volume the sound is. Typically misophonia characterizes an individual who reacts strongly to soft sounds and sometimes is further triggered by seeing the source of the offending sound. Common examples would include but are not limited to: the sound of people eating, smacking their lips, sniffing, the sound of certain consonants like p, s, or t, and repetitive sounds. These individuals do not have a collapsed tolerance to sound which would be evident in a Loudness Discomfort Level (LDL) test.

Hyperacusis is a collapsed tolerance to normal environmental sounds. If the hyperacusis patient IS also dealing with phonophonia and/or misophonia then their clinician needs to address these issues in addition to treating the patient for hyperacusis. It is also important to note that a person can have phonophobia and/or misophonia and not have hyperacusis at all. Sound confusing. Let's talk...

Let's, for sake of further clarity, discuss come common examples of misophonia. They are not a separate catagory of sound sensitivity because the issues we are about to talk do not involve loud sounds. Some individuals are not sensitive to loud sounds (in other words they have normal loudness discomfort levels - LDL's) but they are unable to tolerate the sound of people eating or chewing. Oddly enough they have no problem tolerating the sound of their own eating. These individuals have a difficult time eating with their family and friends and some insist on eating all by themselves. They become irritated or enraged at meals and sometimes. This is not hyperacusis. The patients primary goal would be to neutralize or refocus the dislike they have of these specific sounds. Most of these individuals live very normal lives with the only exception of being unable to tolerate all the dynamics of other people eating. Often these individuals have been unsuccessful finding any information about this condition. To the best of our knowledge no articles have been written in any qualified medical journal and no studies or research has been done about this. Patients seeking treatment from their clinician may have to copy the information from this website to help their doctor understand what is taking place here. Treatment for these patients comes from clinicians who have a specific protocol for misophonia. Search the network message board using the word 'misophonia' to learn more about this problem and protocols suggested. Usually these individuals are sensitive to particular sounds which are not loud in volume. For example, some individuals have a hearing sensitivity to certain consonants (i.e. s, t, p, c). Once again, although this is a sound sensitivity issue, this is not hyperacusis. It is misophonia.

Misophonia is a symptom which is misunderstood. The word 'misophonia' was invented by Dr. Pawel Jastreboff to help clear some of the misunderstanding. Aside from a misophonia protocol it is not clear whether broadband pink noise helps the patient improve their dislike of sound. Some individuals with misophonia have been diagnosed with an obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) and have sought treatment from a psychotherapist. To learn more about misophonia click on the link off our main menu on misophonia. Further resources include:

This is a link to a website dedictated to misophonia:

MISOPHONIA UK - Home page

3. RemyLeBeau

RemyLeBeau Guest

I love waking up to the sounds of my parents talking loudly about what a lazy, awful idiot I am...

I guess he may be abusive. Everyone else thinks that, that's why no on bothers talking to me about it anymore because I'm too much of a stupid, coward to do anything about it. Sorry for bringing it up, I'll probably delete this thread in a bit.

---------- Post added 11th Feb 2013 at 04:34 PM ----------

And thank you for the link; I've heard about that before and figured I had it, but it doesn't seem like I'm gonna be able to get help for it ever.

4. FemCasanova

Why forever? You think you`re going to be 18 and trapped in a house with your parents forever? Because chance of that happening is very low, unless they decide to try and chain you down in the basement.

I get that you are angry at this abusive idiot of a step-father. But you seriously need to stop being on their team! Every time you tell yourself that you`re a lazy idiot, you`re on their team. Every time you repeat to yourself something that a**-wipe is telling you, you`re on his team. Is that what you want? Help him bring you down?

You have to stop doing it.

Seriously.

You have to stop giving him the satisfaction, because he don`t deserve it. I grew up with an abusive father, I know very well what those bastards can do to you. But when it comes down to it, they can only do as much as we allow them to do. If we keep telling ourselves the same messed up things that they tell us, they win. If we hurt ourselves, because of something they said, they win. If we allow ourselves to believe that they are right, then they win. And guess what? Losers who need to put others down to feel better about themselves, like every abusive bastard on a power-trip out there, DOES NOT DESERVE TO WIN!

He doesn`t deserve it. He doesn`t know shit about how your life is going to turn out, or what you are going to do with it. He sure seems to be trying to influence it though. What better way to sabotage someone than making them think they`re a loser? By making them think that this is how their life is always going to be? He is sabotaging you, and by thinking he`s right, or even just repeating to yourself what he said, you are helping him sabotage you. What the heck does that guy know about anything? Not a damned thing!

Our lives aren`t set in stone, we decide what to make of it every day. There`s not a mistake that can`t be undone, there`s not a day that goes by without us having a chance to make a change. Remember that your life is yours, and you can spend it exactly how you want to. You`re not going to live at home forever. Focus on your school-work, work on the grades, figure out what you want to do with your life that can make you happy. And once you`re out, you`re out. Then he`ll be completely powerless, and it`s all up to you. But while you still have to live at home, remember that the friend you need the most in the world right now is you! You deserve to have yourself as an ally of you, not him. Sqrew what he says, thinks or feels. Sqrew what he calls you, or what he tells your mother. That`s his problem. Take away his power, by making him powerless over you. If he says something you don`t like, picture him getting a bucket of moldy milk over his head, and laugh it off. Be out of the house as much as you can, and if the bastard wants to chew loudly or talk about you negatively, put some music in your ears. Some happy music. He`s one ignorant bastard, in a world filled with ignorant bastards. In the big picture, he`s about as important as a tiny little corn of sand in a sand-box, that`s how insignificant he is. And if you can manage to make him that in your mind as well, then he`ll be powerless.

I remember when my father tried to power-trip me when I was twelve. He did that scary eye-thing, like he`d always do before slapping my mother. I stared him down for ten minutes while he was yelling at me, thinking please hit me dad, so I can call the cops on your ass, before he mumbled something and left the room. I remember being so angry at that point, that I didn`t care if he smacked me or not, he was not winning because I knew I hadn`t done what he accused me off. He still bullied my siblings around, but after that, he didn`t bother trying it with me. So get a little angry, but get angry in a productive way. Harming yourself, or telling yourself the same BS that he tells you, is not productive, it`s sabotage. You deserve a heck of a lot better than sabotaging yourself. How long are you going to keep letting him put you down? Use your anger to help you ignore the crap out of him. Let him talk, show him without word how little his words mean to you. Start shutting him out. Block it out. If he tells you something, like, you`re lazy, or your girlfriend is fat, tell yourself the exact opposite, and mean it. "I work hard, and my GF is better than you`d ever get, you crap-tard moron". On the inside. There`s no point in making an argument. Then he gets to play the card that you`re the unruly daughter, and he`s the "poor " stepdad. He doesn`t deserve that either. So don`t talk back at him, just treat him like the no-good, pointless, ignorant loser that he is. Because only losers treat other people that way. Losers put people down, because deep down they are aware of how messed up and pathetic they are. Some manage to find their way to make themselves better people, but most of them just go on, until they die old and bitter. You can`t change him, but you can change how you respond to him, and how he makes you feel. You have that power, even if you`ve not been aware of it.

*hugs* We are so much stronger than we think we are, you are too. And I can assure you that you are not a loser. But don`t treat yourself the same way he does. Give yourself a break, be your own friend, not the one sabotaging important step forwards. It`s your life and you only live once. Don`t waste it on letting your emotional state depend on one ass-wipe. Build a brick wall so that nothing he says penetrates it. And then one day, walk out of there with your chin raised. Because you deserve that. Don`t let him make you feel otherwise!

#4 FemCasanova, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013