1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I clinging onto the hope of being bi (and not gay)?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Rachael222, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Rachael222

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been properly out to my parents now for about a month - i.e. they know I'm somewhere between gay and bisexual. I'd worked myself up to do that for so long, that now I'm kind of stuck as to what to do next, if that makes sense.

Part of me thinks that I might be clinging on to the bisexual label in the hope of getting to have the whole "perfect straight life" that I'd always imagined having. However, the other part of me thinks that I'm being too keen to put myself in a box, you know?

The only way I can really describe how I feel at the moment, and it's probably been this way solidly for the past year at least, is that I can imagine myself getting married to a really nice guy, but always kind of wanting to be with a girl. When I imagine being with a woman I love, I don't get the feeling that I'll be forever wanting to be with a guy. Ha, this sounds ridiculously obvious when I write it down.

I don't know, I feel like gay is probably the best way to describe myself, I guess. I guess that things that are holding me back are:

a) It's not like I've known since I was 5 or 6. There were definitely signs there when I was say 13/14, but nothing as a child or anything. I have had some pretty big crushes on guys before, say when I was 16 or so. Even when I was 18/19, to be fair, I liked a boy I knew quite a lot. He made me feel really relieved at the time, that maybe I wasn't gay after all. But surprise that didn't last long and fizzled out in about 3 months.

b) I don't want to mislabel myself. I cannnot be bothered having to "un-come out" if I was to meet a guy that I really liked. I dunno, sometimes I think I'm just scared of guys or something. Although I do just find girls way hotter, lol. I can't even really be bothered to try and date guys again, I just didn't like it. But because I've never been with a girl other than kissing, I feel like I can't really be that sure. Does this sound like denial to you, or what?

I know I can only really answer these things myself, but is it possible for me to be gay? I dunno, I'm just sooo straight-acting, not in terms of trying to, but I just don't fit any of the stereotypes. At all. I literally just cannot believe that I may well be gay. This is just nooot something I ever imagined. Lol.

Anyway thanks for reading, any insight would be appreciated.

2. Ianthe

Yes, it does sound to me like it might make more sense for you to identify as gay.

You don't have to have sex with someone in order to figure out if you are attracted to them. Being attracted happens before the sex part. So you don't have to have sex with a girl before knowing that you are attracted to them. The fact that you "can't be bothered" to date guys any more is a pretty big indicator that you are not especially attracted to them.

A sort of bland, "well, that would be okay," is not the same thing as being attracted to someone. (Yes, I'm pretty sure that's how you feel toward some guys. Right? Like, you might go out with them if they asked you, and that would be okay. NOT the same thing as liking them, okay?)

And these big crushes you had on guys--were they all guys you knew really well? Rather than being attracted to them from the start, was it more like, you got to know them, and thought, very rationally, "He's a good friend. He would make a good boyfriend." And then you decided you wanted him to be your boyfriend. Was it like that? And the whole thing, from start to finish, lacked the depth and intensity of feelings you've had for girls.

You wanted to like that boy--it was a relief to think you might not be gay. That can be really powerful, in terms of your unconscious convincing you you are more into someone than you really are.

For me, definitely, it's never been, "Guys? Eww, gross, OMG no." It's more like, "Meh, what for?"

And I'm a femme (read: feminine, and I have to argue with people to convince them I'm gay.) You don't have to be gender non-conforming in order to be gay.

Regarding the "un-coming out"--this is not a logical fear. It is something that your mind is producing in order to resist the idea that you are gay. All that would happen is people would say, "You're dating a man now?" and you would say, "Yes, I was surprised, too." It would not be Armageddon. How is that worse than any of the other types of coming out you might have to do? The "but what if I'm wrong" thing is a very common tactic of denial to keep you doubting, even though it isn't rational. The true answer to the "but what if I'm wrong" question is, "nothing bad will happen."

After I accepted that I was gay, I realized there had been some signs in childhood, girls I had feelings for that I didn't recognize as romantic feelings at the time. But I definitely didn't recall that until after I was out and settled in my identity. There weren't any really obvious signs for me until I was 16, and I stayed in denial until I was 28 or something (my coming out of denial sort of dragged on for a while). There is no telling what you are just completely repressing, in terms of memories from when you were younger.

You clearly like girls. Why would there be signs of lesbianism in childhood, but not bisexuality? Is bisexuality different, so that it only manifests at puberty while other sexual orientations manifest earlier? No. Some people remember having crushes and things in childhood, and some don't. (Some people find that even if they don't remember having crushes, their parents or other people who knew them as children noticed them having crushes.) But people watch gender non-conforming children more closely for signs of homosexuality, and they are often overlooked in gender-conforming children.

It can be very hard to accept. But it does seem to me like you are probably a lesbian. Any attraction you have to men is apparently so small as to not be relevant to anything.

All of the things in your thinking that don't make logical sense are indicators that you are in denial. Denial does that.

Also, I am moving your thread to support and advice, where I think you will get better responses.

3. Sarah1

Sarah1 Guest

Hi Rachel, for me it took time to figure out that I was not bi but gay. I thought being "OK" in a relationship was enough while I was always wanting more. Now that I understand myself better I feel so good and clear, like a new person. It may take time for you to find your truth, but when you do you will know.

4. theMaverick

First - [​IMG]

Second, I'm trying to figure out the same thing. Stop telling yourself how it "should" be. When you stop forcing a traditional idea in your head, what remains? That may take time.

5. Rachael222

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the reply, you definitely make some good points.

On the whole, I'd say that's reasonably accurate as to how I feel about guys. I've not really attempted to date one since I was 18, when I was dating this guy for about 6 months, which ended when he suggested we be an official couple. He ticked all the boxes, and yet I knew I couldn't let it go on any further or it would just have been even messier when I finally did end it.

As for the other guys I've liked, I wouldn't so much say that they were all good friends as such, but they were all pretty much unavailable for one reason or another. It seems as I've got 'gayer' over time. When I was a little kid, all the other children I 'fancied' were boys. I didn't have my first proper girl-crush until I was 16. Since then, I suppose I have mainly been attracted to women, with the odd exception. I guess I'm just looking for some kind of reassurance that that does happen sometimes. I feel like I'm at fault for making myself like this in some way, if that makes sense.

At real basics, I guess when it comes down to it, if I was going to be intimate with anyone I'd rather have an attractive woman than an attractive man. I know it's not as basic as that, but I suppose that's got to count for something. The idea of sleeping with a man doesn't disgust me either though, just not as appealing as a woman.

Currently, I'm investing all my energy into figuring this out, when I just want to address it and then be able to move on and spend my time doing other stuff that I want to be doing. I'm feeling under time pressure as well, as I'm moving in with new house-mates soon, and I don't like the thought of being closeted with them at all, since I'm used to it not being a secret where I live at the moment (different house). These guys have known me for years, I'm just terrified they'll be creeped out by me or something, I know 100% they have no inkling of what I'm thinking. I know it's true that if they are unaccepting then they aren't good friends, but I can't help being scared of losing them anyway. They know a lot of people from my home town, so once I tell them, I'd have to assume that word will spread. Whatever, I guess. It's just scary. I suppose in my mind coming out as bi will give me a bit more leeway, but I can't shake this feeling that I'm not, and I'm gay. Although I know now that it's not true, I'd just always imagined that gay people would always have liked 100% the same gender from when they were very small.

I'm waffling a lot, thanks for staying with me.

6. cm81990

cm81990 Guest

I agree with this entire post. However, on the part of childhood crushes, our sexual orientations may not have been apparent then or even manifested until later. I'm gay and have been so since about age 12 or 13. There were obvious subtle changes occurring between the ages of 11-13. As a kid from ages 4-14, I had obvious romantic crushes on girls and never guys. The thought two guys could kiss or be in love never crossed my mind and if it did, I would've thought it was silly or weird. Never during that time did I desire to kiss another boy, just girls. At age 13, it flipped 180 degrees. I'm not bisexual at all. Haven't desire girls sexually since at least puberty. Base your feelings on what you are feeling in the present. If you don't desire guys in that way, then in the present day your are definitely lesbian and not bi.