1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I tell my straight best friend who holds a Protestant view?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Niqk, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Niqk

Niqk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    What is the viewpoint on Protestants (as a whole religious group) on homosexuals? He's not exactly a best friend, but he's done, in a few short weeks, more than anyone else has for me, by including me, so he's currently pretty much my best friend for now. For me anyway.

Is it safe to tell him? And what do the Protestants think about homosexuality?

#1 Niqk, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It depends on which Protestants you're talking about. Episcopals are Protestants, and they are probably the most pro-queer church in North America. Then there's Assembly of God...

3. Niqk

Niqk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I honestly don't know to be honest. :/

Should I just take a chance?

4. It really depends. There are thousands of different Protestant denominations (Lutheran, Presbyterian, Methodist etc.) But even if he's in a Protestant Church that opposes homosexuality, he might think being gay is ok. There are many Catholics who are cool with gays even though the Church isn't. I know pro-gay Protestants and anti-gay Protestants, just like I know pro-gay Catholics and anti-gay Catholics.

You're going to ask your friend what he himself thinks about it.

5. TKM

TKM

My best friend is a Protestant, she is very religious so I was nervous about telling her but I did and she was totally cool. Hope that helps :slight_smile:

6. Niqk

Niqk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm just nervous he might out me, or maybe I'm just being paranoid. I have a test tomorrow, so I'll worry about this after.

I'll reply to the two messages I received tomorrow, if you see this, sorry for delaying!