1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I figure out if my parents are against gay love?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Furor Amoris, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Furor Amoris

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Ok well how do I begin.... Recently I have come to the conclusion that I was a lesbian. I mean the idea doesn't bug me at all, and I could really care less what the rest of society thinks. But when it comes to this issue I really don't know where I stand with my family. My parents really never showed any outwards signs of disliking gay people, they even had a conversation with a lesbian at Disney World. But I also know they are very republican in a lot of their views. I know I keep bringing this up as a political issue in this thread, but my first plan was to bring it up in a political way, it failed. My mother pretty much commented on my views and not sharing her own. And I really am just to nervous to see what my dad has to say, I truly think he'll see through any front I put up. I'm just nerve-wrecked here and I have been indirectly taking it out on my friends by being in a bad mood all the time, nervous and worried. Only two of my friends know about my sexuality and the other thinks I'm bisexual and he has a dislike of gays. I really would like an outside view point that isn't tampered by personal feeling. And I just want to thank any of you who even just read my thread. It means a lot to me that you took the time to hear my dilemma.

Thanks again,
    Furor Amoris

2. mwaffles

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Uh, I don't know... I think you might just ask them, like... if you talk to your mom you should ask "but what do YOU think about it?". And if they seem fine being around gays or talking to a lesbian... well, that might be a good sign, then.

3. ohioguy05

The way I found out was through asking them about current events. I mean, just be like, "Did you hear about how the boy scouts delayed their decision on allowing gay scouts? What do you think about that?" If you say it casually, you should probably get a pretty honest answer.

4. Ianthe

Are they religious? If they are not religious, it will probably be fine. (If they are religious, it could go either way.)

But if there is not animosity from your mom about it when you talk about gay-related things, she will probably be accepting.