1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is questioning ever cause by the WebMD effect?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Parsley, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Parsley

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Is questioning your orientation ever caused by the WebMD effect. You know, like when you get a sore throat so you go on WebMD to see if it is allergies or a cold, and two hours later you're convinced you have leukemia.

And yes I do realize my posts alternate between "YAY lady butts!" and "oh, I'm definitely not gay. Definitely not." I'm working on it.

2. BudderMC

You mean self-diagnosis?

I'd say no. If you're on WebMD looking for something like that, you've already been thinking about it to begin with.

3. Parsley

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah kind of like self diagnosis. I guess I mostly just meant having a small maybe indicator of something and then running away with it until it becomes something huge that it isn't.

4. localfwbguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well I know I was getting super addicted to sights, constantly looking for assurance that I was "ok". Still not LOL. Obsession is bad news..

5. BudderMC

I'm going to correct myself a little bit.

I think it certainly is possible. However, I don't think questioning is the process of changing sexualities (or "labels"), but rather giving some serious thought about to what it is you're actually attracted to. I think being on WebMD and looking up sexuality-related things would simply prompt you to be actively thinking about it, not convincing you one way or another.

6. Parsley

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    WebMD isn't what caused it. I want to kiss a girl I know. I was just wondering if sometimes questioning is a mountain out of a molehill thing. Or if it always has some basis.

Sorry I'm not articulating my thoughts very well. I'm a little scattered.

7. WitchOfSpace

Out Status:
    A few people
    I do this. I am a hypochondriac and I also struggle with doubt (on both my gender and sexuality... I am secure in neither) on a daily basis. I feel like I've over-analyzed and over-thought myself to an extreme degree, at this point.

8. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    lm a huge fan of your new avatar.

MMMM...l guess l think it is possible to have a homosexual attraction and think it means you're gay which is similar, yes.

9. BudderMC

Your thoughts are fine, don't worry. :slight_smile:

And yeah, questioning can be a "mountain out of a molehill" kind of thing at times. It feels even worse once you think you've got it all figured out, and then your brain is like "LOL, NOPE" and you go back a few steps.

There are a lot of reasons why you could be questioning. The first one that comes to mind is that you're actually getting closer to settling on accepting whatever it is you are (i.e. not straight) but your mind is going through denial, bargaining even - grasping at whatever straws it can.

But if you know that you want to kiss a girl, just run with that. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    There is something to be said for having the ability to just admire some fine lady ass though. Youd be surprised how many lesbian or bi women don't seem to care. So l would accept you for my team.

11. Parsley

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah. That. My brain is being a jerk. I can't seem to settle on straight as the right answer, finish questioning, and walk away. But every time I almost settle on gay as the answer, I end up back where I am now; flustered, confused, worried, and upset. And I was so close to just deciding I was gay this time, but then I back slid all the way back to the beginning. I did not pass go. I did not collect $200. :icon_sad:

This most recent bout of worrying seems to be centered around the fact that uncontrollably blushing at a girl who I know to be gay may not have been attraction. That's why I started questioning again, the blushing. What if I've based this on a nothing?

Why can't I just decide I'm straight and walk away from this cycle of questioning? How do I know when I've finally settled on the truth?

---------- Post added 11th Feb 2013 at 08:20 PM ----------

LOL thanks, man. I do like a good ass. But who doesn't? :lol:

So now I'm on team.....ass? :icon_wink