1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Im such a loser and I will never become an adult

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BillCozby, Feb 11, 2013.

1. BillCozby

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi my name is Ken and i graduated from my high school in June and i felt so accomplished and proud of myself because my school was very difficult and is struggled in it for the past 4 years. I'm 19 now and months upon months have passed and im still in the same position after i graduated. I'm underemployed Im not in college and im so lost and i dont know what to do.My mother is basically forcing the air force down my throat and I dont know if I want to do it.It looks like it will help me in the long run but the military life is not for everyone and I dont believe its foe mr. My grades were :***: in high school and I wouldn't mind going to college the problem is always try my hardest in school but it seems like its not enough.I think I am a little slow(even though no one has told me this).Anyway I need some advice on the situation and i need it fast because I seriously need to move out of my parents house and start my life but I dont know how.My mother is not taking no for an answer and she feels like going to college will put me in debt and she does not want that for me.Help!!!

2. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can't offer advice... cuz I'm in the same position!!! Where I am in California I haven't been able to find a job and my grades were too bad in college because of my depression and my parents were really upset I stopped going. (That's an understatement)

I volunteer in the hopes it will lead me to a job somehow because I don't want to have to move out of state! (Which is my other option because the job market is so bad) However, I haven't found a way out! I'm sorry I can't help much, but I wanted to commiserate and let you know I understand how you feel.
    :icon_sad:

3. BudderMC

Well, going to college WILL put you in debt, there's no getting around that. The more important question is: will going to college land you a career in the long run that makes the debt worth it?

It's really easy to say "I don't want to go into the Air Force" and "my grades are really bad, but I want to go to college" without any information. Have you looked into going to college? Have you looked into any careers/programs you'd be interested in?

4. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hmmm maybe like a trade school or something. I went into Phlebotomy training to have a job skill. What do you like to do or what is a trade you wouldn't mind learning?

5. MerBear

omg same here except im a junior in high school but my grades have been shit. i try but nothing works

6. castle walls

College will not automatically put you in debt. It is incredibly likely that it will but not necessarily. Some people (very few) have avoided going into debt by attending community college first and working their way through. However, it does usually take longer than 4 years and there is a good chance that you can still be forced to take on debt using this method.

Have you tried calling your local community college? Even if your grades weren't great in high school they should be able to work something out with you. From there, you can either get an AA degree or you can transfer to a 4 year university and get a BA/BS. If you do this method the 4 year will focus on your post high school grades. If you do decide to go to community college, many of them offer tutoring services to help you stay on track with your studies. Make sure to take advantage of resources.

Unless you have a passion for what you'll be doing, I wouldn't go to trade school. It'll be more difficult for you to move around in your career later without a degree. You don't want to be stuck with a job you hate or feel forced to go back to school in ten years.

Have you tried volunteering in the community in the meantime? If you can't find a job it'll look good to future employers that you were staying busy.

Good luck!

7. castle walls

EDIT:
    First off, you are not a loser. Things are tough out there.

Sorry, I didn't realize that you were underemployed and not unemployed. I still suggest volunteering though. It can't hurt.

Also, I'd like to clarify my trade school statements. There is nothing wrong with trade school. The thing is that a college degree is more transferable. For example, if you go to trade school and train to be a plumber there is only so much you can do with that and usually it involves plumbing. If you go to college and get a degree in business or psychology you can get a job in a lot of different career paths. Trade school is great if you have a passion for that skill. If it is just something you're doing because you're out of ideas there is a good chance that you'll regret it later

8. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is pretty tough, but your future is your decision to make not your Mom's. I'm in debt from school as I have a Bachelor's in Criminal Justice. And I'd be lucky to hired in MI, but it seems like I may have to move. Never give up and keep your head up. Community college could very well be a good idea, you should look into it.

#8 pinklov3ly, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  9. Hard Candy

Hard Candy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    that's definitely tough. But you can do something about it. You can have an internship, or a part time job. You can take courses at the community college. you need to figure out first what you are good at and what you love to do, then follow it.