1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've always considered myself straight...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Juli, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Juli

Juli Guest

First of all let me just say hello, I am new here, and I've just had a few things on my mind and I thought I'd get other people's opinions on my situation. This might sound a bit silly but here goes...

I've always considered myself straight. I've always been attracted to males. A few months ago I started watching a show called Skins and in two of the seasons there is a lesbian couple. I instantly fell in love with them and watching them kind of triggered something in my mind. I started to feel attracted to females, something that I've never actually felt prior to watching the show. Is it normal for a show to change the way you feel about your sexuality?

I have been finding it difficult to sort of admit to myself that I might be attracted to girls. Whenever one part of my brain goes "you might like girls" the other part of my brain goes "don't be silly, you could never be with a girl, you think girls are bitches". I think this is partly because I've been brought up by a very homophobic parent, one who would actually consider putting anyone in the family who turns out to be gay in a hospital. The fact that I was only attracted to men up until this point is because I was brought up in an environment in witch being gay was bad and being straight good.

To be honest, I don't really care about labels. I've never been in a relationship, but if I ever was, it wouldn't really matter to me if it was a man or a woman. I just want to know if the way I'm feeling is normal and if any you ever felt this way.

I appreciate any help I can get :slight_smile:

(This literally took me an hour to write D:slight_smile:

2. starmarie

starmarie Guest

Hi and welcome to EC! :smilewave

That doesn't sound silly at all! What you wrote actually sounds a bit like my story. I always considered myself straight, and then for some reason (I'm not 100% what that was), I realized that I could possibly like girls. And now I consider myself bisexual. And if you choose not to have a label, then that's absolutely fine.

I'm sorry to hear about your homophobic parent. :frowning2: Honestly I don't really have much advice on that as I (luckily) don't have much experience with homophobia.

It is initially hard to admit to oneself same-sex attraction, especially with the homophobia and lack of acceptance that exists. But it definitely is okay! There's absolutely nothing wrong with what you're feeling. Some people always considered themselves straight up until a certain point, and it can take some time to sort out your feelings, emotions, etc. You are not alone. :slight_smile:

3. Different

Whaddup!? I also wanted to welcome you to EC! I used to think I was 100% straight too. After watching Megan Fox in Jennifer's Body I kind of had different feelings towards women. I thought this was weird too. I was confused and I also had that part of me telling me no, you can't like girls. After I thought about it for a while I realized that yeah so maybe I'm not 100% straight, and you know what-- that's fine with me. What I'm trying to say is: I feel you! You're not alone here. Message me if you want and don't be afraid to ask for help on here. EC is filled with answers. Peace!

Btw- Have you seen Megan Fox? I mean hot dayum. Lol

4. Juli

Juli Guest

Thank you both for your replies. It feels nice to know that I'm not the only one who has experienced this. :slight_smile:

Again, thank you!