1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm choosing to be Bi

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by cm81990, Feb 11, 2013.

1. cm81990

cm81990 Guest

I think it's time for me to choose to be bi. I know what you are thinking, I must be crazy, you can't choose your sexual orientation. However, at this point I've had enough. 9 times out of 10 I run into a guy who identifies as bi. I know very few if any gay guys. It really is mind boggling. So this means I'll go back to having sex with girls and convince myself I like it. It also means I'll date girls. Because 99% of all guys like girls, so why would I want to be the 1%? True gay guys are like unicorns. And supposedly sexuality is fluid in everyone. I'm still waiting on this so-called "fluidity." It's also selfish for me to be gay. You're supposed to love the person, not what's between their legs. So I guess now it's time to find a girlfriend or text that girl who has been dying to get into my pants for the past 6 months. I hope you all understand this sarcasm but this is what I'm going through.

2. Mogget

There are no "shoulds" in life except those related to morality. There is no normal to which we can adhere.

3. Reptillian

Points to consider
    • While it is possible to enjoy having sex with someone that does not align with your sexuality (not unheard of), it does not mean that you can convince yourself to like it.
    • Dating girls isn't gonna change your sexuality. Romance has nothing to do with sexuality in itself. They're different things. There are homoromantic heterosexual, heterosexual homosexual, biromantic heterosexual....
    • You're misunderstanding fluid sexuality. Sexuality can be fluid, but it does not mean sexuality is fluid for everyone. Fluidity in very small degrees is common, but major changes is extremely rare. It exists in a small percentage of people regardless.
    • You can't choose who you're attracted in the sense of the physical-aesthentic erotic responses when it's influenced by pre-deterministic + pre-dispositioning factors. That's the common qualifier for sexuality, sexual behaviors does not necessarily determine your sexuality when that's the only qualifier for sexuality. If sexuality is defined as who you have sex with, then yes, it is possible to choose your sexuality, but as we all know that assertion of sexual behavior=>sexuality has loads of problems to begin with.
    • Since it's sarcasm, I have no idea if what I said is appropriate.

#3 Reptillian, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  4. cm81990

cm81990 Guest

It is sarcasm but at this point I choose to change my sexual "behavior" and live under the delusional mindset I shifted sexuality. Personally I'm not biphobic and I accept bisexuality; however, as a gay guy trying to relate to others and not feel "lonely," the constant encounter with people who identify as bi is becoming a problem. It makes me not want to accept myself... instead it fuels me with jealousy and feelings of being an extreme minority.

5. photoguy93

I think we all have "all the guys/girls are..." stories. I personally think a lot of the gay guys are either rude, un-interesting, or think they know it all.

But I'm still gay. If all the guys you know are bi....then why can't you just be with one of them? I don't see the issue with them being bi. That means they will date you, right?

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It sounds like you're really hurting right now. Why is that? All of us feel small sometimes as gender and sexual minorities. Gay men probably outnumber bisexual men anyway, except in your sample.

7. cm81990

cm81990 Guest

It could probably be based on my geographic location. I rarely encounter gay guys, unless of course they are out and open. In that case, they are often the "stereotypical" type. Most of my experience has been on the down low or discreet guys. I know many guys will use the "bi" label as a stepping stone, but why would you lie to your partner or a hookup? What's the point? I can see that as a label for those coming out to straight people, but why to gay people? Unless they truly are bi. Which in that case, I feel as a total outcast. The life as a gay guy in a heterosexist society is difficult for someone gay; not necessarily so for someone bi. That's mostly the cause of biphobia coming from gays/lesbians. There's hostility or jealousy.

8. PiscesAlien

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So, you're saying that you're straight but you want to have the option of having sex with guys to always be there? Kinda like a bag of candy. You prefer cherry but you want to rest easy knowing that watermelon or sour apple is always available? I don't know.:beer:

Actually that doesn't sound like a bad idea at all my friend. Go for it. :thumbsup:

9. cm81990

cm81990 Guest

Haha where did I say I was straight? I would like to enjoy different foods on the buffet table.... Not just egg rolls. Do you know what I mean?

10. Sarah1

Sarah1 Guest

"choosing to be bi" ?? You cannot choose to be bi - either you are bi or you are not. Dont learn this the hard way. Speaking from experience by the way.

11. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    l really feel this way sometimes. And sure you can choose to be "bisexual" in actions, the label itself can be interpreted separate of attraction.

IDK how old you are, but l already did this once. l'm not sure what l did wouldn't work out for everyone, though.

For me ultimately it was the friendships were amazing, the relationships were bad and this is what in turned ruined the relationship and any friendship we had before that.

You see what l mean? So then l was really left with nothing, the guys who did want to sleep with me were over it and l didn't want to repeat the process.

l hate to encourage anyone to just "pull it off'' anyway but how well you can do that is a big factor, l don't know about you but for me, men commented that my vibe was weird, l made out with them "funny"(cause l never got over my dislike of kissing them) and l just couldn't seal the deal on a romantic level.

The natural timing isn't there, l don't respond to their cues because l can't feel the attraction, the list goes on lol.

12. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Except that bisexuals need gay guys and lesbians to exist. And in a way, you need us.

This is untrue. Every person is able to be safe as gay as long as they aren't publicly in a relationship or otherwise visibly gay. People don't get "read" as gay when they match the gender presentation expected of them. So butch men and femme women have to go to an extra length to be noticed sometimes. On the other hand, femme men and butch women can't hide. Even if they are not actually gay, they are perceived as such. Bisexuals will therefore be safe only in so far as they appear straight.

We face the same problems as gays and lesbians, only we get the additional hostility from them. As I mentioned above, this is based on a misconstrual of the privileges we have.

13. cm81990

cm81990 Guest

Never had a problem with the kissing. I probably made out with way more girls than guys. Nothing about a girl's body grosses me out; I'm just not turned on. I will have to admit and not to be offensive to girls, but boobs kinda weird me out. I'm so use to looking at guy's pecs, and found boobs to be something off putting. Unlike a lot of gay guys I know, a girls "parts" don't gross me out either nor do I find them off putting as boobs.

Prez, it's true I have no problem hiding my sexuality because I blend in as your everyday guy. I played sports in high school and briefly did some bodybuilding in college. But, it's more of a feeling I have of being "alone." Sure I don't face discrimination based on my mannerisms or perceived sexual orientation, but I feel different and isolated.

---------- Post added 11th Feb 2013 at 10:14 PM ----------

Obviously I know you can't choose "sexual attraction," but rather behavior. What I meant was choosing it "behavior-wise." I'm sure within a week I'll become rational again and won't endure this path of nonsense.

14. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OP, bi doesn't mean "you'd be missing out otherwise." You'd feel you're missing out if you ARE bi (no choice about it), yet you'd be fixated on your favored gender if you're mono-sexual, with little interest in the other and wouldn't feel short-changed for the exclusion.

You can try to like both genders, and I hope you get that outcome. But at the end of the day, you are what you are and you have to make peace with it.

15. Sarah1

Sarah1 Guest

"choosing to be bi" ?? You cannot choose to be bi - either you are bi or you are not. Dont learn this the hard way. Speaking from experience by the way.[/QUOTE]

Obviously I know you can't choose "sexual attraction," but rather behavior. What I meant was choosing it "behavior-wise." I'm sure within a week I'll become rational again and won't endure this path of nonsense.

END QUOTE

I hope you figure it out. If you are mostly gay with bi tendencies (??) then think hard if you can be happy in a str8 relationship before you fall into an easy trap because if you really are gay and you waste your 20's with girls -- you will regret it. -just sayin

16. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's the big problem I see:

From what I read, you acknowledge that you're gay, not bi, but since you can't find anyone gay, you'll settle for a woman you aren't really attracted to, and develop a relationship with her, simply because you can't find a guy you like, which is apparently also related to the fact that you're not out. And you'll attempt to convince yourself that you can tolerate being with a woman, and hopefully you'll magically develop attraction to said woman.

Do you realize how incredibly selfish the above sounds?

So you're going to go out with some girl who, if she connects with you, is going to think she found the love of her life, and the whole time, you'll essentially be lying to her (and to yourself.) That's a recipe for disaster, and will likely be *incredibly* hurtful to the girl.

It sounds like one of the major roadblocks to finding a guy is being closeted... which is a pretty common problem. So the solution is not to go out with someone to whom you have no attraction, because it's more convenient and less scary than coming out... the solution is to face your fears and start working on coming out. Keep in mind that even if you were to be able to force yourself to function as a bisexual, it doesn't sound, from what you describe, like you really *are* bisexual... in which case, denying your true sexuality is going to create s spiral of shame that's going to really impact your self esteem and ultimately your happiness.

As hard as it is to consider coming out, or workign toward that... it's really the only way to go, especially if the alternative is to enter into a deceptive relationship and screw someone else's life up because you're not ready to address your own issues.

I don't intend the above to be harsh, just something to think about before you take any of the steps you're considering.

17. FemCasanova

I tried choosing to be a Sorceress with magical powers, but it didn`t help me any more than choosing to not be gay is going to help you :slight_smile:

No offence, my friend, but Chip is completely right, and you should read his post carefully. What you are considering is the path towards disaster!

I get it, I do. God knows I considered dating guys, even had a few one-night stands, because lesbians were so hard to find, and when I found them, it was all so god-darned-complicated! But truth is, all that left me was a pack of disappointed angry guys and calls coming in on my cell-phone days in a row afterwards. It was shitty behavior, even though I was always honest about it just being a one-night stand. It was also useless, as guys didn`t do anything for me really, so it just left a hollow angry feeling. It doesn`t work, and convincing yourself otherwise is just a trick that severly backfires.

Maybe your community has a lot of gay men. Maybe it does not. Maybe you can find them, maybe you can move. When it comes down to it, life has so many possibilities, you just can`t give up just because the road immidiately in front of you is bumpy. You can find love and sex out there, sometimes we`ve just got to a) be a little patient b) change tactics c) change battle-ground. Maybe you do have to change something, but it sure is not your orientation! I spent 4 years of useless dating before finding a serious relationship. Some guys I have talked to elsewhere spent a decade, before they fell in love with someone, whom they are spending the rest of their life with. You probably won`t have to spend that long if you b) change tactics and/or c) change battle-ground.

Just don`t quit out on us :wink:

18. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

Nine out of ten choose denial in regards to life's problems. I guess that is a valid third option.

Stuck

19. cm81990

cm81990 Guest

It's not so much the lack of guys, but the lack of GAY guys . It seems the only way to find one is to go to some gay bar. The indirect pressure to be straight or at least bi is intense at the moment. No one really knows about me and no one is pressuring me to do anything. But my mind keeps feeling this "indirect" pressure, like I have to be a certain way. A couple years ago, I did have 2 good gay friends that gave me advice. They were good models on what path I should take-- acceptance. I lost much of contact with them and started feeling anxiety around my straight friends. I was completely different than them. The guys I would meet would almost always label themselves bi. I didn't totally question it, I accepted it as is. Most of the anxiety comes from the lack of opposite sex attraction, rather than same sex. Occasionally, I'll have flashbacks to when I was younger when there wasn't an ounce of gayness in me and boys just weren't attractive. I'm puzzled why I changed :confused:

20. Reptillian

How young were talking and how old are you? I'm getting the hint that you just want the old you back or something, but I am presuming.

#20 Reptillian, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013