1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do I Come Out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by DeanIsHome, Feb 11, 2013.

1. DeanIsHome

So I kind of want to tell my counselor I'm gay since all the people I'm out to are like 2 hours away and I only text them and seem them very rarely and I am very stressed right now and even though I'm out to like 2 people I still feel loaded since there so far away, so would it be a good idea to come out to a school counselor? I don't really talk to her but I've spoken to her 2 times about schools, I don't know if i should trust her though are school counselors suppose to have some sort of confidentiality agreement? and if I do come out to her how should i do it? i was considering writing out a not and just letting her read it so i wouldn't have to say anything but my biggest fear is that she tells my parent's, I have like an irrational fear of my parent's finding out so even joining EC was a difficult choice since i was worried they could find out this is me on here.

2. akhc

Im not sure about the U.S but in Canada everything you tell the counsellor is confidential unless it is criminal in nature.

As to how you want to tell her, thats really up to you. Whatever feels most comfortable.

3. RainbowMan

I'm pretty sure it's that way in the US as well - everything is confidential unless criminal or relating to child abuse.

How to tell her is entirely up to you. I'm much older and in a very different situation than you are, but I was able to tell my therapist (who I specifically selected because he was a gay male who specializes in LGBT issues and accepts my insurance) in the first session. You might not get a similar selection ability with your counselor, but I think that the basis should be honesty and openness.

So I guess that's not really advice as to how - the answer to that is completely up to you. I did it verbally (and it was quite hard), you might do it via writing it down. Either way (or another way I haven't thought about) is completely fine. Just do whatever feels right to you, and only you can answer that.