1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out to her?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Gravity Defyer, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Gravity Defyer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have this cousin who is founder of a "Pro-life anti-gay movement" who has spoken for the media about how unnatural being gay is and how marriage equality is a falacy.

Truth is I myself am against abortion (I think anticonceptive methods should be spread in order for abortions not to be necessary) but I don't judge if someone gets one. Anyway that's not the topic.

And I'd like to come out to her so she can view things from a different angle. She doesn't know a thing about gay people and only speaks from fear of unknown. We love each other too much maybe her knowing I'm gay will change something.

Perhaps?

Opinions please :confused:

2. Ianthe

Would coming out to her have a large negative impact on your life?

If not, you should be out to her if you are comfortable with it. If she is important to you, you will probably want to be out to her eventually.

Make sure you have support from other people in case it goes badly.

---------- Post added 12th Feb 2013 at 07:13 PM ----------

You don't have some kind of obligation to come out to her if you aren't ready.

3. Acobi

Acobi Guest

I agree, you should ask yourself if coming out to her will be something YOU want in YOUR life. If it is something you want to do, it is upon you to make it happen for your happiness.

However, I think that possible coming out to her for the sake of hoping to change her mind is not the angle you should approach this. Even though she is family, you can not make her think a certain way-no matter what the topic is. Especially ones as controversial as you listed above. I believe it is better to come out to her for reasons other than to change her ways. She will have to change on her own.

If she is an important person in your life, definitely consider it. Just be careful of your reasons, it can be challenging when you approach her to tell her she is wrong rather than showing her the positives of being gay and emphasizing happiness over correction.