1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Was I in the wrong here?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MusicIsLife, Mar 10, 2008.

1. MusicIsLife

I was on another forum, and we were discussing "serious" issues, and basically the person who made the thread asked if we were for or against abortion, gay marriage, the death penalty, etc.

Well, one girl wrote that she doesnt agree with the term "Marriage" cause we dont procreate, and as such she preferred the tems "Civil Union" and "Domestic Partnerhip."

Well i got farly annoyed, and our convo went like this:

Me: Excuse me, but we can reproduce. Its just not in the typical way straight couples go about doing it.

Her: yeah, i'm aware of that. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    what i was trying to say is that i prefer the term marriage to stick to the old definition and come up with a new term for same-sex unions.
    idk about you but i think it's easier that way.

Me: that would mean we're still being segragated[sp?] by the general population. we want the same rights and privelages as everyone else, so it wouldnt be the same thing to have a new term for the exact same thing.

Her:listen. no one is being homophobic here. they will be given the same rights, it's just under a different word, ok?
    ok.
    what i'm saying is it becomes easier in a sociological/political sense to use a different word. no one is turning a blind eye here. homosexuality is different, but that doesn't necessarily mean in a negative way.
    just like there are different races. we all acknowledge that there are different type of people in the world her but acknowledging doesn't necessarily mean racism.

I havent responded yet, because im upset so my reply wont make sense and im wondering if its even worth my time to argue with someone who clearly doesn't see eye-to-eye with me.

Comments?

2. Davo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The way I see it, marriage is a formal union between two people by a contract or through a religious ceremony. Nothing in my definition says it has to be a man and a woman, and I absolutely think gay marriage should be called marriage, and giving it another name is undermining the significance of the ceremony.

She probably won't change her opinion, I don't think many will, but I personally don't think you should give up

3. JSG

JSG Guest

So why use a different word for the same thing?

4. Alexander

That's what we did for after the Civil War. Bathrooms, drinking fountains, schools, houses and subdivisions all were the same things, but they were marked off as strictly a "black" place or thing, or a "white" place or thing. I think we're seeing that come up again in the US in a smaller way with gay marriage and other rights.

5. KaraBulut

You are correct- in the US, we have fought battles over separate but equal for too long. There is no reason to have two classes of people - one that has rights and another who do not.

Something to think about-

In most countries, marriage is a secular union that is handled by the government. You go get a marriage certificate and go to the courthouse to get married. If you wish, you can have a religious ceremony in a church or synogogue but it's not required.

It's only in a few countries like the US that marriage is a religious ceremony. And it's probably the cause of a lot of the battles that are going on in the US over the definition of marriage.

Procreation is not a requirement for marriage. Marriage defines the parentage of children for legal purposes but it does not ensure that children will be produced, nor is it required to have children.

6. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

I view this from a non religious point of view. Scrap marriage all together, as there are alot of non religious people who are 'together'.

Create a term, for all people, that is recognized by governments etc.
    Pretty sure as it stands in Australia, A gay couple cannot receive the same benifits as a straight couple. One part of that, is superannuation.

To the thread starter, ask that girl if she thinks black people shouldn't be allowed to get married, because there black.....same thing. Either way she is still discriminating.

7. divadarya

By her definition, anyone who doesn't reproduce isn't married. It's like saying a woman with a hysterectomy isn't a woman. You were right.

8. Ryesright

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If marriage is a union of two people, then gay marriage should be called marriage and heterosexual marriage should be called marriage as well. Where people differ is whether or not the definition of marriage is a union between a man and a woman. I think a fight over wording though is silly. I'd rather, someday in my life, be able to obtain a Civil Union from the federal government and have the same rights as a married couple, as opposed to never having these rights because people are fighting over wording.

I don't think calling gay marriage Civil Union or domestic partnership is any more segregating/discriminatory than calling a gay a homosexual rather than a heterosexual. Gay people are attracted to individuals of the same sex and so are called homosexual, whereas heterosexual people are attracted to individuals of the opposite sex and so are called heterosexual. Gay people may presumably end up in an interpersonal relationship recognized by their government/religion/society with individuals of the same sex whereas a Straight person may end up in an interpersonal relationship recognized by their government/religion/society with individuals of the opposite sex. That sentence defines two different forms of contract, hence the potential need for two different names for those contracts.

If the straight community starts supporting the wording "marriage" to define a gay as well as straight union, then by all means lets call a gay marriage a marriage and a heterosexual marriage a marriage. Otherwise, I don't care much if a gay marriage is actually something else, as long as the rights are the same.

9. Andrew1403

Andrew1403 Guest

i agree with davo..Gay Marriage will never be equal or the same as hetero marriage if it is termed somthing else...:icon_sad: I would tell her what davo said..:icon_bigg

10. Psychedelic Bookmarks

Try asking her whether marriage for infertile straight couples should be called civil unions as well. Then remind her that all women above the age of around 50 are infertile. See how she likes that. :slight_smile:

11. BlueRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The way I see it, most people view marriage as a constant; something that never changes. They think, "But marriage has always been this way." The thing is, marriage has changed a lot. In the past, marriage was all about procreation, and for the social/political elite it was about politics (as in, marrying into a certain family, or whatever requirements they had for royalty, etc.). But in the last hundred years or so, we started marrying for love. So marriage is now mostly about the person you love, not some stranger your parents chose before you were born. Well, it turns out love does not always care about gender. So as long as marriage is seen as a union between two people who love each other, then gay marriage should definitely be called marriage.

12. Adrian

Adrian Guest

I don't know how the law works in your jurisdiction but in the UK the laws dealing with marriages and civil partnerships are slightly different by necessity and use slightly different terminology. I suppose one advantage of having different terms is that it's less confusing if you need to distinguish between the two things. That said, if they're labelled 'civil partnerships' to kind of throw a bone to people who don't support them... maybe there's something objectionable there. I don't think either of you were particularly 'wrong' to be honest.

13. atofu

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    lol kinda off topic but i've also noticed on sims (computer game) at first when gay couples get married, they call it marriage, but now it's some union thingy or something similar but it's not marriage anymore lol..just thought i'd say :lol:

14. JWAD

JWAD Guest

I think that it should be called marriage, after all she says about different races but if two different races get married then it's still marriage If people really want EVERYONE to be equal then the best way to go about it is for everyone to have the same rights. To me marriage represents a comitment and this whole "Joined Union" thingy makes it seem something less. The trouble is that she obviously thinks she's ok with LGBT relationshibs but subconciously still has slight reservations would be my guess so is it worth arguing? :goodevil: I'd say yes more to try and win other peopl over than just her but then again I never let arguments go I've allways got to win :icon_wink

15. MusicIsLife

:grin: Thanks everyone for all the responses! i just got home from work and i replied to her, and this is what i said:

No one's being homophobic? ok. so basically the way I'm seeing your opinion as is that you dont believe in gay marriage, but you believe in domestic unions and/o civil partnerships because we cant procreate.

Does that then mean that infertile women arent allowed to marry men? isnt marriage these days supposed to be about love and then children is an if to consider later on? I think you're being unfair and homophobic to a certan degree. if gay and straight marriage is the same thing, why must you call it by a different name? love is love, and marriage between a man and a man, a woman and a woman or a man and a woman is all the same.

it got a bit ranty towards the end, but i think[hope] i got my point across.

16. trumpetkid23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That reply sounds really good to me! Keep holding your ground. And kudos for backing away before you got angry to her face. That was the right thing to do. Keep a clear head and she won't stand a chance.

17. SkyTears

fairly well put together

18. sayitforreals

Maybe when different races get married we should call them different things.

White MAN and WOMAN=Marriage
    Man and Man= Civil Union
    Woman Woman= domestic partnership
    Black people= blarriage
    Asian People=Asarriage
    Hispanic people=Hisparriage...

does that sound logical? not at all. People are people, get the eff over it.

*I wrote me a big english paper on this, and a few scholarship essays..*

19. Bader

Bader Guest

I like that replay

20. Brett

I think that you're being a little harsh on the girl here. She may have been in the wrong by using the word "procreate" to describe marriage, but she did have a point. As far as the rest of the world is concerned, gay marriage is different than straight marriage. Personally, I believe that it isn't our place as a community to force ourselves upon an innaccepting society, but rather become integrated into it. If they are willing to give us all the rights of a legal marriage, then we should be happy and take whatever chance we get. So why sweat over the name? Some progress is better than none.