1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Chickening" out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by somemiracle, Feb 13, 2013.

1. somemiracle

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I want to come out to my close friends but I'm kind of, well, terrified.

I have told only my very very best friend - she doesn't attend the same school as I do - about being bisexual, and that was over Facebook, so it was easier, and I knew she wouldn't freak out about it because she's often open about her "love who you love" opinions. But I want to come out to some of my other friends - who go to my school - even if it's just one or two but I keep scaring myself out of it.

Like, I just don't know how to segway into that. How does one bring up the fact that they're bisexual? I don't want to make a big deal out of it, just kind of slip it into the conversation so I don't have to restrain myself when talking about my crushes >.< I wanted to come out to my close friends before I finished high school but this is TERRIFYING.

I would be so so grateful for any advice.

2. Niko

I was in the same boat as you when I was trying to come out to my best friend. I think you need to decide who you're closest with out of the group to start and go to them, then work your way down the list. What I did was I wrote my friend a letter, when I handed it to her I said it was very personal and to read it in private. You can do something like that. Then tell that one friend to not out you to the others, and that you'll do so when you're ready. Unless of course you want them to tell your other friends, whatever makes you feel comfortable.
    I hope that helps some.

3. mwaffles

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh, honey, you don't really need to be afraid of telling your friends. I know it's scary, but, hey, you just need to be comfortable and say, maybe you should say "yeah... I'm having a crush on this girl" something like that! Or maybe if you are texting someone a lot and they ask you should tell them it's a girl, you know? Try to do it naturally. Or maybe "Hey, guys, can I tell you something?" when it feels a good time, like, when you are in a moment of silence you can ask this. And you just say, you'll talk about it and stuff, I bet they are gonna be really supportive.

4. somemiracle

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This was really helpful, thanks guys! I'll definitely give the note idea some thought though I think the "I'm having a crush on this girl" will be the best way with my friends :slight_smile: Thanks again :slight_smile: