1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will I get a second date?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Lewnatic, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Lewnatic

I met this guy around 20 days ago, and I asked him out within three days of getting to know him. We had instant chemistry, and we were talking about gut instinct when it came to asking people out so I asked him out on a date based on my gut instinct and he said "Yeah, I'd love that. That would be really nice (told you about gut instinct being mostly right)."

Anyway, we went on the date on Monday, two days ago, and it was just... lovely. I was crapping about awkward silences, but there were none. I was worried we would find we didn't have anything in common, though we had countless things in common to talk about. He even bought me a drink at a bar. Things went very well.
    After the date ended and he got on his bus, he texted me saying "Sorry for being awkward all night, I was dead nervous." I told him he didn't seem "awkward at all and
    I had a lovely time, hoping for a second one!" He replied "Me too! :slight_smile:"

Now, here I should mention that about a week and a bit prior to the date, he rang me and said "I know I might be jumping the gun here, but depending on how our date goes, I've never had a date on Valentine's day and was planning on seeing a movie and getting some food, it would be nice to have someone with me :slight_smile:". Of course I said yes.

Now, the confusing part. At some point near the end of the date he said he may not be able to do Thursday because his parents want to go out for a meal and go to the cinema for Valentine's day, meaning he would have to stay home to babysit his 9 year old brother. Fair enough, but was this an excuse? I don't know. It seemed legitimate because he was laughing at the fact they are planning to see the film we were planning on seeing.
    We have text since the date, probably as regularly as we did beforehand (which was a lot). At one point he stopped replying mid-conversation, but he proceeded to favourite a bunch of my Tweets on Twitter (we follow each other), even one that just said "Good night Twitter!"
    This morning, I decided to just go out on a whim and I text "Hey. Just putting this out there, I had a really great time on Monday and if you want to go out again, whether it be Thursday or another time, I'd really like that :slight_smile:" and he replied "Me too :slight_smile:, not sure about Thursday because my parents robbed my plans but definitely :slight_smile:." To that, I replied "Great :slight_smile: well just let me know the days you're free and we'll sort something nice." So he said "Yeah definitely :slight_smile:." However...he hasn't told me of any days he's free, and he leaves back for University on the 18th so time is ticking.

What do I do? Does he even like me? If he doesn't, I don't appreciate the mixed signals where he's basically said yes to another date, only he just hasn't bothered to organize one. I really like this guy, we have great chemistry and so much in common. It fits. Please, I need advice.

2. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    He's responding to your texts and Twitter so I'd say he likes you.

Maybe he's hoping you'll make the plans. For example maybe you'll want to say something more solid like "Hey so I was gonna go to a restaurant I liked on Friday for dinner. Would you be interested in joining me?" (or whatever you like to do by yourself)

That way the plans have a specific time and day, and he may just be worried he's interfereing with your schedule like you worry you will with his. Someone has to set it up more concretely!

3. Lewnatic

I suppose you're right. I just don't want to come off as too keen though and put him off. I mean I've already been the one to ask for a second date, shouldn't I be leaving some of it up to him?

4. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Most people don't like to put themselves out there by asking, but if you're willing to you always should because you can't rely on someone else to. It sounds like he genuinely wants to hang out with you to me. :slight_smile:

Plus, you said something about him leaving soon? So asking again soon won't be seen as urgent.

5. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree, it does sound like he is interested in you. I would just wait and see if he says anything and tries to set up the second date. He knows you like him and want to go out again. Now the ball is in his court and it's his turn to get things going. And I know time is counting down, but I wouldn't want to come off as too attached yet. It might turn him away.