1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Combating jealousy on Valentine's Day?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by thereshewas, Feb 14, 2013.

1. thereshewas

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Is anyone else feeling a little envious of all the happy couples that seem to abound on Valentine's Day? I think this is really the first year that I've felt this way... perhaps it's a combo of being ready to be in a relationship and having lots of friends who are either in or are falling into relationships currently.

Any ideas on how to be happy for all the love that is shown today without feeling too bitter about not having a girlfriend with which to share it?

2. starmarie

starmarie Guest

Treat yourself! Bring yourself out "on a date" or just spend time doing something you really like to do. Maybe it will help take your mind off things, as long as you don't think too much about not having a girlfriend right now. That day will come. :slight_smile: I have no idea if this is good advice or not. This is just what I would do. (*hug*)

3. photoguy93

I feel you. I am quite jealous of the good relationships I know. But as life has shown me, it isn't always happy in paradise. There are plenty of couples I have seen that make me think "thank god I'm single."

But yes - treat yourself! Enjoy a day that you can make yourself happy! :slight_smile:

4. Nevermind

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have never once been in a relationship on Valentine's Day!

If you were happy single yesterday and you're gonna be happy single tomorrow, why should today be any different?

Have a hug (*hug*) and a card: [​IMG]
    from me.

5. WitchOfSpace

Out Status:
    A few people
    I hate Valentines Day with a passion. In my life it's always been a miserable experience where the cool, popular people rub the fact that they have love in the faces of those lonely, nerdy, or unattractive people who are lower in the social hierarchy. Like me. -_-

Last year was the only time I ever had a Valentine to actually give to somebody ever, and I'm alone again this year. I guess a good thing. My ex was horrible. That I'm not with her, at least is something I can be happy about.

6. Tiny Catastrophe

Hey not all the couples are happy and lovey. My girlfriend is fighting with me just like it's any other day so trust me there's nothing to be jealous about lol.

7. WitchOfSpace

Out Status:
    A few people
    "Forever alone" me might be on the road to having a boyfriend. :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

I need to not be so negative.

8. cm81990

cm81990 Guest

I hate today as well. When your sexual orientation is positioned at the extreme (WRONG) end of the spectrum, you have very very few options for dates. I have plenty of alcohol to party it up with my single roomies, disguising the fact my sexuality sucks.

9. castle walls

This is one of the few years that I'm not in a relationship on Valentine's Day and let me tell you, it is pretty much the same as being in a relationship on Valentine's Day. At least it is to me. Since I'm single this year, I'm celebrating with my fwb. Have you ever thought of getting a group of single friends together and doing something?

10. thereshewas

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the responses, everyone! I'm taking your advice (thanks starmarie and photoguy) and hanging out with a few of my single friends and then treating myself to a nice evening in. Not feeling so down about everything now :slight_smile:

nevermind: the hug and card are much appreciated!

witchofspace: I absolutely love that perspective. We should both try to cultivate it!

tinycatastrophe: I hope things get better between you and your girlfriend. Thanks for helping not over-romanticize things. Hugs.

cm: Hopefully you're able to have some enjoyment of the night despite everything (and maybe not feel so bad about your sexuality). I don't have many gay friends, so sometimes it's hard to remember how many gay/bi people there actually are out there! There's hope for us yet!

Happy Valentine's, everyone <3

11. Akatosh

I wouldn't say it's jealousy I'm feeling, it's just an inconvenient reminder that this day has never meant a damn thing, and it probably doesn't mean much even if I were in a relationship. Do I need a holiday to remind me that I should care about the person I love? That's stupid

12. mojoe

^^ Well said.

To me it is a consumer holiday, contrived to stimulate retail sales of overpriced chocolates and flowers and meaningless gems and metals. Every day should be a special day if you are with someone you love. Valentines day is about nothing more than money...

13. cm81990

cm81990 Guest

I did have a great Valentine's Day after all.... Unfortunately not with a guy :icon_sad:

14. Estragon84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I spent mine with a guy..... except it was my single (straight) friend and we went rock climbing. It was, however, pretty awesome and he even gave me chocolates, lol. (He doesn't know I'm gay.) Glad you enjoyed yours as well, CM!