1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I love my best friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Raj11, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Raj11

Let me be clear. I'm not IN love with my best friend. I simply love him to death. When I came out to him, he teased me about it (he is a sarcastic asshole lol), but accepted me for who I was. Our friendship did change, but it didn't get awkward. He didn't push me away. He didn't judge me. We got a lot closer as friends. We speak openly about everything, he's 100% comfortable talking about my sexuality with him. We live about 2hrs away from each other, so we don't see one another very often, but we make an effort to talk on the phone at least once a week for an hour. We text regularly. We alternate traveling to hangout with each other for a weekend once or twice a month (I drive over to his place, or he drives to mine). He cares about me and has proven it time and again whenever I'm having a rough time in life. I don't have a boyfriend, but he pretty much fills that role so well to the point that I'm actually happy without one. I call him my heterosexual life mate.

I feel great knowing that I have such an awesome guy in my life. I was wondering how everyone feels about the importance of having that one straight guy friend in your life that you can be close to with no sexual tension. Someone to really look up to.

I know straight guy + gay guy friendships work, and from personal experience I think its much healthier than straight girl + gay guy friendships, or gay guy + gay guy friendships (no offense to anyone).

I'd like to know your thoughts.

2. Gen

Gen

Hmmm....well I wouldnt say its healthier than either of those two examples, but I have plenty of straight male friends. As well as plenty straight female friends and gay male friends. I have found that the strength of my relationships really dont bend one way or another when it comes to gender or sexuality.

Though I am happy that your relationship with him has worked out so well. I believe variety/diversity is always a good thing.