1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why was I born if I shouldn't be here?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by PiscesAlien, Feb 14, 2013.

1. PiscesAlien

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know some people are athiest. Honestly, no offence to any religious people, but I've had my fill of religion. It's never really did anything good for me. But I'm a Christian, and as far as I know i'm bisexual. I don't know why or how but I am. But whenever I start wishing that I was like everyone else I must stop myself and think no. I don't want to be like everyone else because most people I know are just mean and hard to be around. I think I've gone too far to start wishing I was someone else. Now as a Christian I believe in God. And this God created everything from humans plants and animals and otherworldly forms of life (I can't deny the aliens) sorry but I believe in them. Now, If the Bible is right then I'm not a human because God doesn't just create abominations just for a sick joke. Or does he? Are we all just play things, modeling clay to be molded into whatever sick fantasy our loving creator has his mind? Oh, the illusion of control. As a age i've came to know more and more about the way of things such as control and how little we know about it. And how far we are from being in control of anything. If aliens have thoughts, feelings, and emotions then why can't God save them? Does he love them? If I'm bi, and I have thoughts, feelings, and emotions and have a spirit and a soul then why does the Universe(God) hate me, hate us so. He creates a blade of grasss only to be devoured by a cow are we so different from the blade of grass or a fly or beetle. The fly is in pain when squished, does God care for it? What about all the things we go through? If the Bible is true and God loves his humans then I'm probably and alien. Maybe aliens come and empregnate expected mothers and they give birth to alien-human hybrid children who aren't straight. I'm sorry but it's the only way I can make sense of all this. It's just that my birthday is comming up and i've been planning to come out to my family during lunch at the bowling alley or whatever and I feel a sense of dread. Because they're all I have and i'm very close to them and I know now that I can't change my sexual orientation. But why me? Why now? I'm old! I know I don't look it. But I can feel it in my heart. I'm only 21 but I feel like i've been here for a thousand lifetimes. Sorry if this is like the weirdest post you guys have ever read. But i've never been one to fall into place. I thank God everytime I enter my classroom that I didn't get shot or something. Maybe that's it. I try to pray but he doesn't say anything back to me. Maybe i'm just an animal. :icon_sad:

I'm a bit emotional today. Sorry if this post doesn't make any sense. I'm just trying to figure this thing called life out. ...Oh but Christians don't believe in aliens. But what Christians believe really depends on what mood the preacher's in that morning. So everything depends on what's popular. So it's like a bad trip! I remember when my parents told me that they used to go to a church where the preacher preached that it's good if women got raped for not dressing modestly so that they'll learn to submit to their husbands or whatever. I bet he also believed that it's good if people like me get raped too so we'll become depressed and sit in a cornner all day and wait for the reaper so we'll stay out of everyone's way. I've allways been naturally rebellious because I had to be. It's self defeating not to be.

I'm sorry but I think like a science fiction writer sometimes. It's the best way I can express what i'm going through. And I understand if I get any hate for this. But there's no amount of hate that you can express on here that I don't already feel for myself. Just know that it's all out of my hands, it always was, :sleep: I'm a trip. Sorry If I upset anyone.

2. KTWK

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I generally keep out of religious discussion and keep my view to myself, but I wanted to say I found this sentence very powerful.

If the preacher is homophobic, the sheep are too. If he accepts gays, the sheep do too. They resign all of their personal beliefs and morals to a guy who gets appointed to tell them what to believe.

3. PiscesAlien

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You know. It's all about having the ability to think for yourself and honestly, I know it sounds like a broken record, most people just can't for some reason. Might as well blame our public school system or the fast food industry for all I know.

---------- Post added 14th Feb 2013 at 10:41 PM ----------

Couldn't have said it better myself.

4. SparkleDuck

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    What you mentioned above is quite a real reason as to why I do not personally support Christianity.
    But a huge percentage of Christians were grown into the religion from birth, and believe it simply because it's the only thing they were taught.
    I don't mean to offend -btw. I respect Christians so long as they respect me.
    But I do not personally believe religion should be forced upon someone at birth. My family never did that much, I was lucky to be able to form some of my own thoughts.
    I chose my religion -a variation of pantheistic wiccan- with lots of prior knowledge about it and a natural affinity.
    I chose it for myself. Not because a preacher told me bad things would happen if I didn't.
    Religion should be for personal improvement, not for spreading fear and hatred. Definatly not for isolating individuals. I really, strongly believe that if the gods did not want bisexuals/homosexuals around, they would just not exist.

#4 SparkleDuck, Feb 14, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  5. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

You missed the possibility that God created you exactly the way you are, adaptation is part of God's creation and you have a unique adaptation.

Then of course there are logia numbers 29 and 87 from the Gospel of Thomas.

In regards to what religious leaders say see logia 3

Gospel of Thomas;
    http://gnosis.org/naghamm/gosthom.html

Maybe more at work than you imagine.

Stuck

---------- Post added 15th Feb 2013 at 02:49 AM ----------

Maybe, just maybe, God is not that interested in your fragile, short lived physical body and what you do with it, but rather god' paramount concern is your soul which is beyond the physical.

Maybe God only cares you act of love which helps keep the soul oriented to God.

Maybe the body is inconsequential...

#5 skiff, Feb 15, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  6. Ianthe

Christians don't believe in aliens? Wait--like, they assume that their god told them everything?

Anyway,--

Although I'm not a Christian, I could try to tackle your religious crisis, but I think the real issue may be this impending coming out that you are stressing out about.

Am I to take it you plan to make some kind of announcement an come out to your whole family at once? Does this include your parents? Sometimes emotions associated with parental acceptance can be sort of unconsciously transferred over to religion, because people often imagine god as a kind of parent.

It might make more sense to come out to your parents separately, and just to a few people at a time. To have one big moment that you tell ALL the important people at once, well, it will get it over with, but the anxiety may be extreme.

7. PiscesAlien

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes! Don't worry about offending me though in regards to religion. Like I said before, i've had my fill of it and it's really doesn't do anything good for me.

8. PiscesAlien

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You're totally right. Though I never thought of God as a kind of parent. Just this thing that people use to get what they want because they don't want to listen to what you have to say. Maybe I should just start slow and come out to people in my class.

9. wandering i

Just wondering- have you ever read the bible? It's dense and not very fun, but I think if you'll read the whole thing, it may help you formulate more thoughts on your religion.
    There is no mention of god hating homosexuals. There are however a lot of rules on hygiene that haven't been relevant or sensible for over a thousand years. And frankly, there is a lot of hypocrisy in the book- while Jesus teaches us to love our neighbor, turn the other cheek, etc (and remember, the religion is called christianity, it would make sense that this guy's philosophy would be somewhat important), the first half is full of mass genocide as god sends someone to slaughter an entire city, infanticide as he kills all the first born of Egypt, etc. You could say god made us in his image, but what kind of god tortures and breaks one of his own devout believers just to prove a point to satan (whom god made)?
    There are a lot of holes in logic if you try to read the books literally. Trying to do so is going to come up with some pretty backwards and questionable beliefs (for example- If humans didn't live together with dinosaurs, there is no reason we shouldn't kill each other!). A more healthy way to use the book is subjectively, knowing that you are applying your own opinion and judgement to what you find written.

I am an athiest and have found more beauty and love in life after breaking away from religion. But there are also people who can use religious community and spirituality to do great good for themselves and others. The question comes down to, what do you want to take away from your religion, and what do you want to leave? It is up to you what enhances your life and feeds your sense of satisfaction. What inspires you in christianity? What shuts you down? Read the book. Read about christianity throughout history. Take a look at other religions, too. What makes your life better?

Spirituality is a personal thing and I wish you luck as you explore yours. But please keep in mind that those hateful bigots shouting "god hates fags" are using their own opinions. And you know the saying- opinions are like buttholes. Everybody has one.

10. PiscesAlien

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, you're right. But when I think about it now. I posted this not because I had problems with my religion, but I felt emotionally disturbed. That's all. Actually i'm more ok with it all now. Actually I really don't care for religion but everyone else in my family does. I'm the only one I know that's bisexual.

And you're right about how it all depends on how you percieve the bible. Oh and I haven't read the bible from start to finish because I have a short attention spand. The words start running together after a few pages.

11. wandering i

I haven't made it all the way through either but I have a few friends who've taken the challenge and shared highlights, and for a while I kept one near the toilet so I could jump around and read little bits here and there. Multitasking :wink:

My family is all religious too, so I sympathize. I came out as agnostic to them a number of years back and to a degree they're still waiting for me to find jesus. I've never had a great relationship with my Dad but his choices with religion drove us apart and we don't communicate much anymore. Thankfully I have enough independence that their decisions don't affect my happiness and the way i live my life and I feel like he's the one who's missing out for making that choice.

12. PiscesAlien

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ah but one thing is clear. All things must past. And I feel like everyone is missing out on something in their lives. In a way, I believe some people have a kind of addictive personality, we all do to some extent. Some people, for some reason, are addicted to religion mainly because they've found a little power in it. And it consumes them. I'm not power hungry, I could care less. But my dad didn't care much at all for religion until he became a deacon. My grandpa's mind is gone and I don't know what the deal is with him(or anybody really) anymore. Most folks just show up to cheat on their spouse seems like. So much for marriage being sacred.

13. wandering i

Well, like opinions, everyone's spirituality and relationship with religion is different. My dad is a lousy example (one of those cheaters who got divorced, always showboating religious charity and piety, while rejecting or disrespecting non-christians) but on the other hand, my mom practices with more sincerity, privately, and without judging or hating others.
    Fred Clark's blog is a good read if you'd like to restore faith in Christians being good, sensible, thinking people: slacktivist
    And there are a lot of churches around the country that have moved away from the 'traditional' or repressive ideas that condemn people for who they are.

Although I'm an athiest, I respect that religion can fulfill certain needs for certain people and be a positive influence. No matter what topic, generalizing or lumping a whole group together is bound to result in misunderstanding. Better to consider people individually. Afterall, there are loving christians and hateful atheists, and visa versa.

14. castle walls

That is one of the best things I've read on this website

15. RainbowMan

So for the impending coming out, I feel that I can offer you a story of my own coming out that may give you solace. I found the entire thing insurmountable (to come out to my parents) just a few short months ago. Then, on my 34th birthday, I finally came out, much like you're planning to do on your 21st (geez, how much I wish I had done this back then....)

My parents are Catholic (sort of, long complicated story - but my dad is devout), I was raised Catholic, and was raised to believe that homosexuality was a sin, and all the gays would burn in hell. So naturally, I was completely terrified to tell my parents (and even more terrified to tell myself - that's what took me so long to accept who I am I think).

However, when I finally did come out to my parents (just last week), I got the exact opposite of the response that I was expecting - complete acceptance and unconditional love for their son. I feel like the weight of the world has been lifted from my shoulders. See this thread if you're interested in the complete story, but suffice it to say that the support was not expected, and very welcome!

So there is definitely a place in a Christian family for a gay son, and definitely room for being gay yourself. My Catholic upbringing has informed many parts of who I am, but the Church and I are not aligned on this one thing (it should be noted that I'm much like you - having had my fill of religion and am not a practicing Catholic or anything else). On many other things however, our views are perfectly aligned. I'm a very moral person, and hold those values very deeply. I could never do anything to harm anyone else, for example. However, I'm perfectly fine with being gay, even if the Church might not be.

Sorry that was so long and rambly (I tend to do that....)

16. Ianthe

I think that would be a better idea. Then you can build a bigger support system before coming out to family.

17. Jeff

I am starting to see a pattern here at EC. Many many of us come from a place where we are judging ourselves according to other peoples expectations.

Even when we accept ourselves as gay, and know that we are not alone, but millions of us are out there, and many very successful people are gay, we still try and rationalize religion, and how is gets used against us at many turns, and think that somehow maybe they are right, perhaps we will burn in hell for it.

The so-called Christian who hate us do not want:

1. Our lives to appear normal, or public respect

2. Our relationships to get legal recognition, or acceptance

The reason is because if we get these things, millions more closeted guys and girls will come out of the closet, seeing that you can be happy, and find true love and be gay.

The youtube generation really blew the lid off of the closet imo. Young kids can search "coming out" and get people ages from 8 to 80 announcing that they are gay in a video. This is the Christian right's worst nightmare.

Anyway, now that the old foggies are dying off, and the younger generation is coming up, and they are connected, they are seeing through the smoke and mirrors.

Anyway, I am starting to ramble here. In the big picture, the gay haters are losing their battle. We are being portrayed in tv and film respectfully as being more they way were really are. Major hit tv shows with gays in the lead roles.

And once we win same-sex marriage at the Supreme Court level, it will be like a swift and hard and painful kick in the balls to those phony Christians. If after that, they still want to condem us, it will be like using the n word to describe blacks. It will be very uncool.

18. PiscesAlien

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks you guys. I've learned a lot here today. Even though, I think I should come out to some people from my class and see how they're reaction would be. I'm only out to a few other people online. I totally agree with all of you and you've made me think of a lot of things I haven't even considered yet. Sorry if my first post was totally crazy. I feel a a lot better now. And I feel a lot of hope for the future. I'm very glad I found EC.

19. wandering i

20. Jeff

We need a sticky posted at the top of this section "Support and Advice" of the forums. Where one can cut right to the chase in the event you were born into a fanatic Christian family, and feel guilt for being a creative free thinker who happens to like the same sex.

It seems every third new member comes here in tears because their church or family told them to hate themselves.